What's new

Vaping at work..

I'm quite lucky, small company and the smokers that didn't make the move to vaping last year want to this year so it's more questions than "jokes".

The one that really pissed me off was the "strictly electronic cigarettes only" shelter outside the cancer ward at The Western General hospital in Edinburgh. Pissing rain and I couldn't get into it because it was full of staff smoking.

Nhs policy is no e cigs on nhs lothian grounds so im guessing this is outside the hospital.

Nhs policy is no e cigs on nhs lothian grounds so im guessing this is outside the hospital.
Outside the building but in the car park. It's still there now but still full of staff smoking fags.

Remember when you smoked, there was always that smartass old guy who quit years ago. He would bang on about how much better he was, health wise and financially and how those things are killing you. You would ignore him, spark a fag up and mutter 'ex smokers are always the worse'.
I fear vapers are going the same way. Im not having a dig at you OP btw, just a general feeling but if we come across as all high and mighty and that 'we' know better all we will achieve is to piss people off.

We are still lumped with smokers because to the uneducated we are still smoking. Its not great but it is what it is. Step aside, walk around the carpark, laugh to yourself. You know the truth,fuck them.

Been vaping too long to care about smoking at work, regardless of who employs me.

First thing I do is read the smoking policy of a company as I know it always says "outside" with ecigs.

Next thing I do is suss out who smokes and ask them what the unofficial rule is on smoking. Leads to a "didnt know you smoked" conflab followed by a "I vape, but easier to find out what others do for getting nicotine during work" conflab.

Amazing how many meetings we have outside to regroup on getting certain work done, arranging help for colleagues and planning what will be mentioned in meetings to make the place run more smoothly" conflab, often joined by a non-smoking/vaping manager asking what we have hatched as they know we are not taking the pi$$.

Even Directors have muscled in on our meetings!

But is is all down to your company ;)

I completely agree with you, what I find annoying is when I'm having vape and I get dirty looks like I shouldn't be vaping, vaping potentially saved my life but yet I feel too uncomfortable to vape in public because of the looks. Im not vaping to look cool I'm vaping so I don't touch a cigarette again. I get that a huge cloud in someones face may not be that nice but cigarette smoke is much worse, I spend most my time, in tattoo shops and vape shops and chill with decent people who I feel comfortable around to blast my clouds everywhere.

Currently We're allowed to vape at our desks at work. However a new area manager is dead against vaping & smoking and has stated he will seek a ban at the next board meeting.

Has anyone got any links or documents I could forward to the board in advance of the meeting to persuade them to keep the status quo. Evidence on second hand vaping etv.

Thanks

Unfortunately vaping is classed as smoking in most companies so they don't have to bother with any complaints about the clouds and/or smell. Doesn't bother me, gives me an excuse to leave my desk every 30mins ;)

All depends on how long to get outside, like if you’re on the 6th floor of a building! A quick vape could be a 20 minute trip! The air freshener in some of the unused offices can smell quite strong and fresh sometimes!

Back
Top Bottom