What's new

Yeah bye then Cotton Bacon.... HELLO Muji!

I've turned vegetarian and ditched the Cotton Bacon.

I've been using Cotton Bacon V2 from the start of my self builds and okay with it, but it always annoyed me with the uneven separation and waste, stuck with it until Cotton Bacon Prime which was even worse! it's like wicking with candy floss!

Anyway, I bought a bulk pack of genuine Muji cotton from amazon dirt cheap and have been using that exclusively now and I am proper enjoying wicking now, after a couple of attempts it become instinctive how wide to cut the strips and oddly I enjoy skinning it, now I always get a nice even wick and so much easier to work with, flavour wise, the first few draws aren't the best but after that I can't tell the difference between CB & Muji.

Also my wicks don't burn inside the coil as much as CB (especially CB Prime).

Wicking used to be a chore, now it's a pleasure and with it's ridiculously cheap cost per wick I'm wicking more often istead of being a scrooge :)

I know there are other better premium cottons out there but Muji is suiting me nicely.

I don’t take the top and bottom layers off. I don’t think it makes a difference.

The last while I’ve been using them differently, peeling a thin layer off, cutting a wider strip and rolling it into a wick shape. It works well and seems to get me more wicks from a pad. Worth a try.

Just about to rewick my Drop so will definitely give it a try thanks.

I only removed the skins as it's the only way I've seen it done but never reasoned why, I always loosely finger roll mine and get that perfect not too loose not too tight fit.

Means I will have to reset my muscle memory from my instinctive cuts.

I don’t take the top and bottom layers off. I don’t think it makes a difference.

The last while I’ve been using them differently, peeling a thin layer off, cutting a wider strip and rolling it into a wick shape. It works well and seems to get me more wicks from a pad. Worth a try.
Is this the Scottish roll technique? I find this to be better than just cutting strips as you are creating a kind of tubelike wick which seems to allow for better juice flow.

I use Super Sorb Cotton Cord pretty much exclusively these days.
It's simply a 3m rope of cotton with the perfect diameter for 3mm-3,5mm coils.
A joy to work with and pretty much as little waste as possible.

Is this the Scottish roll technique? I find this to be better than just cutting strips as you are creating a kind of tubelike wick which seems to allow for better juice flow.

I’m not sure, I think the Scottish roll uses the whole layer. I think @Crewella said in another thread that she uses the Scottish roll, I had thought it was more useful for people using drippers, though.

I guess it depends how you’re using it? CB V2 has a flavour break in period in a dripper no doubt. It’s not long, and it’s not off- rather just muted for a short period of time, but it’s there. CB Prime however I’m finding awesome. Sucks like a thirsty elephant and takes heat from big/hot builds at high power like Gordon Ramsey’s y fronts. I’m also finding the flavour break in has gone.
But for RDTA’s, once you make the wicks trail more, it can suffer if you chain it.

Fuzz is good too. I found Kendo fluid resistant, which wasn’t a great trait for a vaping cotton [emoji2]. Muji is probably great, but I cba with the faff of the sheets and I’m kinda comfortable with where I’m at.

Great that we’ve got so much choice though innit?

Pretty much. As @zouzounaki says I do something similar. I cut the strip, peel it into two equal strips with (obviously) one outer layer on each, then rough up the outer layer, stretch it out and roll the wick with the now-floofy outer layer on the inside of the roll. I'm an MTL vaper, but this still works well for me as it makes it easier to get a small amount of cotton to take up a lot of space and prevent leaks with the 50/50 juices I usually vape.

....... OK ........... it's also because I'm a total tighwad and don't like throwing perfectly good cotton away ........ :8:

Back
Top Bottom