What's new

Utter noob to TC...

• Thread starter Deleted member 58360
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 58360

Right, so, I wanted to give it a go.

Was placing an order and they had ss316 on offer, so I bought a roll. UD 316L in 24ga.

I was having problems with my manta MTL tank keeping up with wicking before, loads of dry hits (it seems my vaping style has changed since I started, it used to be fine) and cotton burning quite quickly.

So, spec:

7 wraps of 24ga 316L coming in at 0.33ohm room temp.

In a manta MTL - single coil rta.

On an aegis legend.

Set to TC-SS - (default) TCR of 112, 30W, playing between 150 and 195°c (because honestly I have no clue).

I chuffed through about 1.5-2ml ish in a very short time indeed. Not because it affected consumption, but because I could... Ran the tank dry. Almost no vapour being produced.

No hint of a dry hit.

I'm a shade on the dizzy side :D

So - how much did I do wrong?

Part way through I put the tank on my nunchaku mod - with it being fixed at 60w in TC mode it was way scary and too hot for my liking even set to 150°c - still no dry hit though - I left it alone to cool a bit and back to the legend, which was fine again.

I'd suspect your wire is too thick and temperature too low, particularly on the Legend. The TCR for SS316L is 92, so I'd use the manual bit of the firmware. As a simple guide, I'd use 28AWG, aim somewhere around 0.5 to 0.7 ohm's and on that mod, around 450F and adjust up/down from there.

I'd suspect your wire is too thick and temperature too low, particularly on the Legend. The TCR for SS316L is 92, so I'd use the manual bit of the firmware. As a simple guide, I'd use 28AWG, aim somewhere around 0.5 to 0.7 ohm's and on that mod, around 450F and adjust up/down from there.

In the least facetious way possible - what would that achieve?

450°f is 232°c - with the setup in there anything over 205 is hotter than I like.

I know it's called an MTL tank, but it's really not, it's too airy for that (imo) and it's not how I use it.

Oh, and after that message I put the TCR down to 095, and 100, and 105 - below 110 it just doesn't seem to produce.

What wattage do you puff it on power mode? 205 seems very cool. I usually stay about 235 in temp mode.

Incidentally, I think using it to avoid dry hits on a setup that isn’t wicking very well, isn’t the best use of it. I’ve done it before to test it out and found it seemed insubstantial, the vapour produced was a bit “thin” seeming. It may just have been the particular attie and build, mind.

What wattage do you puff it on power mode? 205 seems very cool. I usually stay about 235 in temp mode.

Incidentally, I think using it to avoid dry hits on a setup that isn’t wicking very well, isn’t the best use of it. I’ve done it before to test it out and found it seemed insubstantial, the vapour produced was a bit “thin” seeming. It may just have been the particular attie and build, mind.

My previous build (that used to work until apparently I changed) was about 0.5ohms and about 25W - or about 1ohm and 15W or so. Anything higher than that and I got crispy cotton - at that I got a warning hit (halfway dry, put it down for 5 mins to soak).

I just don't like a hot vape at the mo - that might change next month though...

Oh, and it wasn't primarily to avoid dry hits, but that's what it appears to have done. Previously I could look down the tip with a torch and watch the cotton change as it went from dry to wet - now it's pretty much staying wet.

The burnt cotton is when you go out the ohms range sweet spot and start to suffer from excessive ramp down issues.

Ohms too low, coil too big. 0.3ohm & 24awg wire needs more power to heat up, that's why you're getting a weak vape at the lower temp. You didn't state what watts you set the mod to.
As stated, 28awg SS around 0.7-1.0ohm. Set pre heat around 35w to get the coil to required temp asap, the mod (if any good at TC) will throttle back smoothly on power delivery to maintain temp.

But I didn't say I was getting a weak vape...

Back
Top Bottom