What's new

Vape Tax.. we all knew it was coming

Every time goods change hands there are always some kind of tax rules that apply, even if it is just so say that a transaction should be free of tax. I'm not a lawyer so I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if change of use rules apply because of the type of business that is buying a product those goods would be treated as a "new Supply" and taxed again and the appropriate duty and tax would become due.

Every time goods change hands there are always some kind of tax rules that apply, even if it is just so say that a transaction should be free of tax. I'm not a lawyer so I might be wrong but I'm pretty sure that if change of use rules apply because of the type of business that is buying a product those goods would be treated as a "new Supply" and taxed again and the appropriate duty and tax would become due.

as an example, let’s say they declare that vg to be used to puff in a vape is subject to some kind of additional tax duty. i go and buy some vg from boots, but the rules say i should contact hmrc and pay the extra duty.

is that what you mean? i doubt any consumers would do that. nobody is going to come and search your cupboards to see if you are putting boots vg in a vape.

as an example, let’s say they declare that vg to be used to puff in a vape is subject to some kind of additional tax duty. i go and buy some vg from boots, but the rules say i should contact hmrc and pay the extra duty.

is that what you mean? i doubt any consumers would do that. nobody is going to come and search your cupboards to see if you are putting boots vg in a vape.

No, this is to do with transactions between different businesses within the supply chain. I'm not a tax lawyer but I've had enough dealings with HMRC in the past to have a bit of an insight into how their rules work.

Use by date is a legal requirement. I’ve been told, on good authority, it’s nothing more than that.
I hate it when manufacturers put "Use By" (especially when it's only 1 year!) instead of BBE...
.. even then, it's just a vague guideline...

I think BBE means I will probably go off whereas 'Use By' just means you can probably still use it when it's 10 years out of date but it might taste sh1t. :D

I think BBE means I will probably go off whereas 'Use By' just means you can probably still use it when it's 10 years out of date but it might taste sh1t. :D
No, it's the other way around...

If it's use by, then legally it has to be sold to end consumer before the use by date... if it's best before, then you can still sell it in 10 years time (but you may get a complaint 😁).

Notice that's meats etc. that will go off by a certain time have "use by"... whereas a can of beans or jar of mustard has BBE.

I hate it when manufacturers put "Use By" (especially when it's only 1 year!) instead of BBE...
.. even then, it's just a vague guideline...

Yeah, I should have said BBE, not UB. I will correct that.

Bottom line, un nic’d juice lasts well past any date on the bottle.

1710021169356.png

As a lot of businesses, vendors and liquid producers will obviously be submitting a response then surely the temptation would be for them to say yes, individuals should be included :hmm:

DIYing is going to become huge, commercial juice will skyrocket in price. Who's going to buy that juice, I mean surely everyone who's in the liquid trade has already been wondering how many customers they're going to have from day one, let alone a year down the line. I also wonder what the trade bodies think of the DIY vape community. The whole thing is bonkers, if individuals have to pay duties on their home produced liquid then surely HMRC will be sniffing around the concentrate sellers (like Nom Nomz, vapable etc) and demanding customer details. It's ludicrous, maybe they'll be contacting potv staff and demanding details for apes posting in the mixology section ninja.gif

I'd like to think all of the above is hysterical nonsense, but maybe it might turn out to be so.

Last edited:
No, it's the other way around...

You're right. Whoops. :)

View attachment 351008
As a lot of businesses, vendors and liquid producers will obviously be submitting a response then surely the temptation would be for them to say yes, individuals should be included :hmm:

DIYing is going to become huge, commercial juice will skyrocket in price. Who's going to buy that juice, I mean surely everyone who's in the liquid trade has already been wondering how many customers they're going to have from day one, let alone a year down the line. I also wonder what the trade bodies think of the DIY vape community. The whole thing is bonkers, if individuals have to pay duties on their home produced liquid then surely HMRC will be sniffing around the concentrate sellers (like Nom Nomz, vapable etc) and demanding customer details. It's ludicrous, maybe they'll be contacting potv staff and demanding detailing for apes posting in the mixology section View attachment 351009

I'd like to think all of the above is hysterical nonsense, but maybe it might turn out to be so.

"For their own use" is different to saying they are intending to sell on what they make. Once you've bought the ingredients how do they think they can police what people do with it in their own homes?

Back
Top Bottom