What's new

Airports and Vaping UK and EU information

Will be at Dalaman Airport in a month (Turkey) when I was there last September I didn't Vape in the airport so can't confirm if there is a designated area for smoking/vaping but will maybe find out when I go back in May. From what I understand from locals and my other halfs mums bf if you are at a hotel or the '5 Star Swanky' place where we go it isn't an issue, they usually leave tourists alone to their own devices but they don't sell or allow any Vape related products to be sold commercially or in general. But as I say regarding the Airport it's very security tight, security have automatic firearms primary and secondary so wouldn't like to take my chances, and last year I left all my Vape stuff in my luggage and had no problems so hopefully the same next month.

Interesting.
I had three, four week business trips to Turkey last year.
I was working in a city called Bursa, which involves a 1 1/2 hour drive, then 3/4 hour on a ferry, and finally another 2 hour drive after arriving at Istanbul Ataturk airport !
Anyway, to cut a long story short, vaping is not actually banned in Turkey.
I used to vape quite regularly at a few bars (in the outside seating area, as smoking has now been banned indoors, so much for the land of the shisha pipe.....) whilst walking down the street, and in the outside area of my hotel.
The swanky hotels by the way do not turn a blind eye to tourists vaping, its merely a matter of hotel policy, my swanky hotel did not allow it as the MD did not like it.
Quite a lot of the Turkish population vape.
Several of my drivers did, and one particular taxi driver explained the rules.
I do not now remember which way round it works, but the gist is one of the two below.
1) You can legally buy tanks, batteries, atomisers, etc, but you can not legally buy the juice.
2) You can legally buy juice, but you can not legally buy tanks, batteries, atomisers, etc.
So they buy what they can on the high street, and then order the other stuff via the internet from a nearby country, hoping it will not be confiscated by customs............
He was a skilled bloke by the way, he could steer the car, change gear, use his vaper, make a mobile phone call, and spit out of the window, all at the same time !!!!!
As far as the airport is concerned (istanbul ataturk) I my vape kit was in my top jacket pocket, not in a poly bag at security, not a word was said.
There is a smoking area after security, and I had no problems there, my only problem was when I landed back in the bloody UK again..........
I hope this is helpfull info if you ever go back to Turkey ;-))

When I went to Frankfurt they were all taped off so you couldn't enter , can't remember seeing any in Berlin
Just been through Frankfurt 2 days ago and they have dedicated smoking rooms now, big ones and pretty clean and efficient as "Ze Germans" normally are.. I will comment on Munich next week as I am transit through there..
One I used by gate B23
18360371_10156106084815558_1210437996_n.jpg

Any more contributions grateful accepted as I will be getting this sorted out this week and putting it up.
Thanks for all the previous contributions.

Whilst waiting at the trans Maldivian air seaplane port in Male you can vape/smoke on the pontoon that is accessed via the lounge ;-)

Whilst waiting at the trans Maldivian air seaplane port in Male you can vape/smoke on the pontoon that is accessed via the lounge ;-)

Hi to all who have added to this.

I did put a post on here early last month about Istanbul Ataturk airport, but have had my eye off the ball for the lat few weeks.......

I never realised how many posts / information would come from other forum members

Personally I have worked as a global service engineer for the last 15 to 20 years, and have gone through more airports than Alan Wicker (if anyone remembers him) busiest year 2008, 76 flights, so 76 airports !

Anyway, I am on a years break in the the UK at present, but the company want's me to start travelling again.......

Last year I did 14 flights, involving 8 airports, Heathrow, Luton, Wroclaw, Houston, Istanbul, Frankfurt, Munich, and Nuremberg.

Frankfurt, as someone posted earlier has an excellent smoking area that you can vape in, (there in Sep 2016) not at all like the ones we experienced in some countries, where you didn't need to light a cigarette as you could take one breath, and get days nicotine in a minute ;-)

city461, great thread you created, bit of a push for me to quickly put all the info I have found / experienced while travelling, but will try to do so over the next few weeks.

Regards badboybez

Dubai airport has an extremely cramped indoor smoking, fish tank. Smokers packed in like sardines. God awful place

Dublin airport - Outdoor Smoking area outside a bar, I believe Terminal 1

Newcastle airport has a smoking "room" up some stairs in the bar area for customers only. but I just walked through and no one stopped me. (coz I'm a rebel... And I wasn't paying £4.50 for a pint of Carlsberg!) also I sneakily shared the mrs' MTL setup while no one was looking in departures too!

Copenhagen Airport has a tiny enclosed area for 8 people in beginning of the B-gates area. This will change in the future as its due to work being done in the terminal.

Lisbon Terminal 1 has a massive lounge close to the gate A19.

Back
Top Bottom