What's new

All about the money

Yes, it is about the money, but also about some people’s jobs. The bus and train depot employees and drivers, the coffee shop and restaurant staff, the shop staff who sell people the milk they nip in for on the way home. The guy who sells them the coil they need as they’re passing, or the barman who serves them the pint they need after a shitty day. These companies are already shedding staff (as are my employers) and there are many, many people who have redundancy to look forward to for Christmas. We have high unemployment and a few years of recession coming, and make sure you can get whatever you want online, because high street shopping will be a thing of the past.

Last edited:
Yes, it is about the money, but also about some people’s jobs. The bus and train depot employees and drivers, the coffee shop and restaurant staff, the shop staff who sell people the milk they nip in for on the way home. The guy who sells them the coil they need as they’re passing, or the barman who who serves them the pint they need after a shitty day. These companies are already shedding staff (as are my employers) and there are many, many people who have redundancy to look forward to for Christmas. We have high unemployment and a few years of recession coming, and make sure you can get whatever you want online, because high street shopping will be a thing of the past.

Quite right Leni.

It has to be about money to keep the economy / country going, but as you say it is also about jobs, and therefore about pride in having a job, and striving to achieve your best.

It is also about mental health, people currently working from home might be thinking this is great, but doing it long term can be a very insular existence, I know I have done it many times.
When I first had to stop working due to ill health, the following 12 months of my life were the lowest ebb I have ever been at......................

Oh, and while I'm going on, last week I watched one of those morning news / chat show / phone in programmes, one thing that came up was there is a campaign starting up to get the government to pay a "winter fuel allowance" same as the elderly, for people who are working at home, what the fuck, they are already saving on commuting costs, and if they need more money to fund working from home their employer should pay for it.................

I'm still not sure when I'm due to go back in to work. The most I can see is possibly 14th of September. I can think of a few places I go to when I'm in work that this will be hitting pretty badly. They're little standalone businesses that rely on their regulars. Sadly, I can see a few of them closing down. My work are looking at doing a flexi return where some people are in maybe 2 days and at home 3. If that was something a lot of places do ot could help create a bit of a balance.

My work are looking at doing a flexi return where some people are in maybe 2 days and at home 3. If that was something a lot of places do ot could help create a bit of a balance.

I hope they do that at the place I am on long term sick from.
Before I got sick there was a really deep "us & them" rift between the shop floor people, and the office people, the company spent quite a few quid to improve this to no avail.
I still keep in touch with a couple of the guys I used to work with by phone every month, and since the lockdown the rift has got even worse.
Right from the start the office workers were all given the kit to work from home, but the shop floor staff have had to go into work every day.
As one of my mates said "they should be paying us danger money"

I hope they do that at the place I am on long term sick from.
Before I got sick there was a really deep "us & them" rift between the shop floor people, and the office people, the company spent quite a few quid to improve this to no avail.
I still keep in touch with a couple of the guys I used to work with by phone every month, and since the lockdown the rift has got even worse.
Right from the start the office workers were all given the kit to work from home, but the shop floor staff have had to go into work every day.
As one of my mates said "they should be paying us danger money"
It is looking like it will go through, there are people who miss being in the office but personally I would prefer working from home more. I do still need to go in now and again though. We were talking about it yesterday and they were going on about making sure everyone has a suitable working environment at home. I had to mute myself and swear a bit to help me bite my tongue. I've been doing 12 hours a day for the last 5 months and now they need to do that? They were also on about sending out equipment too and I had to have another little muted swearing session again.

We can't go back to our normal though. One person would get a cold in there and by the end of the week 90% of us would have it. We would all be self isolating on and off until this time next year.

It is looking like it will go through, there are people who miss being in the office but personally I would prefer working from home more. I do still need to go in now and again though. We were talking about it yesterday and they were going on about making sure everyone has a suitable working environment at home. I had to mute myself and swear a bit to help me bite my tongue. I've been doing 12 hours a day for the last 5 months and now they need to do that? They were also on about sending out equipment too and I had to have another little muted swearing session again.

We can't go back to our normal though. One person would get a cold in there and by the end of the week 90% of us would have it. We would all be self isolating on and off until this time next year.
You don't have to self isolate for a cold though. The symptoms and the way you feel are nothing like covid 19 surely.

You don't have to self isolate for a cold though. The symptoms and the way you feel are nothing like covid 19 surely.
You would think. My misses clearly has a cold just now but had to get a test this week. Has 2 symptoms of covid as well as a few others but her dr told her to get the test and I'm grounded for 2 weeks.

You would think. My misses clearly has a cold just now but had to get a test this week. Has 2 symptoms of covid as well as a few others but her dr told her to get the test and I'm grounded for 2 weeks.
That's ridiculous. To me, it's obvious if it's a cold. Totally different symptoms. Doctor is just playing it safe. Way over the top.

That's ridiculous. To me, it's obvious if it's a cold. Totally different symptoms. Doctor is just playing it safe. Way over the top.
I know, she has a pretty chesty cough, went in for a cough bottle and the pharmacist refused. Shes got all the other crap like a runny nose, nasal voice and sneezing for a cold.

I know, she has a pretty chesty cough, went in for a cough bottle and the pharmacist refused. Shes got all the other crap like a runny nose, nasal voice and sneezing for a cold.
There's a lot of over reaction going on at the moment. I can sort of understand it, maybe, but you only have to cough and people get jumpy. A runny nose, sneezing and loose chesty cough are not covid-19 symptoms. Obviously a cold to me but hey ho, what can you do.

Back
Top Bottom