What's new

Alternative to dicodes.

Jonny2400

Hi Chaps,

long term vaper since 2009, around 2016 I finally settled on my set up. Dicodes Dani box, Kayfun lite, heisenberg juice, at 14.5 watts boom done.

Stopped buying any new tanks, juices etc .. I have upgraded my mod as new Dani boxes was released, V2, Mini and then micro, but that’s it.

well my sixth Dicodes has just joined the junk box, along with various provaris from years ago (which still work lol). I tend to only get about 12 months of them, as every version has the same fault, so that’s around £1400/ $1800 worth of broken dicodes mods.

While they are beautifully machined German made mods, they can not withstand any knocks or bumps due to the decision of using a massive WE invertor chip, held on by two small bits of solder.

My last one, just died a death as it was sat upright on a table, someone bumped the table and it fell on its side (still on the table) simply just fell over and boom 2 weeks old £235 mod.. done.

Now of course they come with 2 years warranty and in the past I’ve had them repaired, but since BriExit and the NI protocol I simply can’t not get them through German customs, after 5 attempts and about £70 in postage, I’ve given up, none make it and after 2-3 months later arrive back at my house.

So am keen to hear some recommendations for a high end (non dicode chip) small metal mod, think provari / dicodes (external) build quality around the £250/$325 price point?

That's crazy, never knew that about Dicodes.

Something very wrong about the fact I have Kanger crap Etc. that must be 10 years old, and they've been dropped and abused and still work perfectly. In fact in a decade of vaping I don't remember a mass produced Chinese mod EVER breaking on me.

Sorry I can't be of any help, but have you considered the fact there's still probably a lot of value (I'm guessing, other apes will know) in those Dani's. If you don't want to mess around with warranties, why not stick em on the classies here.

why cant you get them through customs ?

it’s issues with the NI protocol, it works both ways getting stuff out and getting something in. M&S for example have to complete 108 forms to sell a ham & mustard sandwich in one of their belfast stores.

But technically no custom forms exist in NI to send stuff to the EU, as we are still in the EU but our post goes via Royal Mail cause we are part of the UK, so it goes from Belfast to Birmingham then London to Germany and Germany won’t accept anything from the UK without custom declarations. So it just goes round and round. I even drove the 100 miles to cross the border and posted it in Ireland using the Irish postal system, that one made it to them, but was rejected coming back into the UK and was returned to German customs.

it’s issues with the NI protocol, it works both ways getting stuff out and getting something in. M&S for example have to complete 108 forms to sell a ham & mustard sandwich in one of their belfast stores.

But technically no custom forms exist in NI to send stuff to the EU, as we are still in the EU but our post goes via Royal Mail cause we are part of the UK, so it goes from Belfast to Birmingham then London to Germany and Germany won’t accept anything from the UK without custom declarations. So it just goes round and round. I even drove the 100 miles to cross the border and posted it in Ireland using the Irish postal system, that one made it to them, but was rejected coming back into the UK and was returned to German customs.

Got any friends in the South? I managed to get something shipped from Germany to a friend in Dublin (no issues as still in the EU) and them forwarded to me.

It cost me an extra €9 for postage as it was quite a big box (not Vape related) but it was worth it to me.

Is the first 12 months not down to the retailer to sort the warranty. Or refund you if its not possible?

I thought that's how it worked, I could be wrong, often am

In my days of reef keeping I used to buy most of my equipment from Germany as the EU had 2 years warranty by law vs our 1 (also it was quality vs the Chinese alternative (and 5 times the price lol)But that was before slightly over half of us thought we would be better off out

It "MIGHT", Note "might", be worth dropping a PM to @KytanDale ? He used to work wonders on any Dicodes that had problems, in fact, they were his favourite devices to work on.
I know he has changed horses and is heavily involved in Building HiFi these days, but I wonder whether some Dicodes work "might" lure him back as a change of work for a while? He is based in London, so not as bad as juggling with EU. :)

why cant you get them through customs ?

I've been through the exact same experience trying to send something to Dicodes, we lack the secret sauce to circumvent German Customs, whether it's paperwork or some secret handshake or sex with a goat. They just refuse entry and it gets bounced via some goat herder in Morocco to return it... months later.

If you know the combination required to deal with the German Customs, it would be awesome.

Back
Top Bottom