What's new

Attention squonkers

itscostingme

Achiever
Not logged in for a while but have been checking the forum to keep upto date with what is going on.

The last few years I have been using a geek vape Athena squonk daily for work.
I purchased 3/4 to keep me going as they were cheap but now my last one has decided its had enough so I need a replacement.
I'm not really up to date on mech squonkers so need some recommendations please.

So needs to be a single 18650 mech,cheap and not fall apart in a day.
Thanks guys/gals.

That's a tough question - my first reaction to anyone asking it would be to suggest the Geekvape Athena, but as you've had 4 of them go belly up over the last four years and they are becoming difficult to find now suggesting one probably doesn't help.

One cheap mech Squonk that still seems to be on offer regularly is the OG Pulse. OK its a 20700 mod but it will be good with an 18650 using the sleeve adaptor and despite being lightweight plastic isn't awful and it doesn't have any sharp edges so is generally easier on the hands than the Athena. Just remember the screw on the 'off switch' inside the Pulse mod can work slightly loose with use so giving it a little tightening tweak with a screwdriver occasionally will avoid excessive voltage drop through the switch..

Edit - but of the two I prefer the Athena as it does have slightly better performance than the Pulse IMO.

Last edited:
That's a tough question - my first reaction to anyone asking it would be to suggest the Geekvape Athena, but as you've had 4 of them go belly up over the last four years and they are becoming difficult to find now suggesting one probably doesn't help.

One cheap mech Squonk that still seems to be on offer regularly is the OG Pulse. OK its a 20700 mod but it will be good with an 18650 using the sleeve adaptor and despite being lightweight plastic isn't awful and it doesn't have any sharp edges so is generally easier on the hands than the Athena. Just remember the screw on the 'off switch' inside the Pulse mod can work slightly loose with use so giving it a little tightening tweak with a screwdriver occasionally will avoid excessive voltage drop through the switch..

Edit - but of the two I prefer the Athena as it does have slightly better performance than the Pulse IMO.

Maybe I will try 1 more. But for me they all stopped working the same way ie you had to push the button really hard to make it work.
I took them apart cleaned them made sure everything was making good contact ect but still not working properly.

I recently spotted the OG Pulse on sale for £9.99 plus delivery if that's any good to you.

https://www.e-cigclouds.co.uk/product/vandy-vape-pulse-bf-squonk-box-mod/

I did have a pulse when they came out but for me the voltage drop was shocking (no pun intended)

@itscostingme I have a hotcig rsq here if its of interest, still in its box unused. Got it free off @Genghis Fogs so it'll be plenty cheap.

Appreciate that offer but am after a full mech As they take a bit of a bashing and dirt.

Maybe I will try 1 more. But for me they all stopped working the same way ie you had to push the button really hard to make it work.
I took them apart cleaned them made sure everything was making good contact ect but still not working properly.

I did have a pulse when they came out but for me the voltage drop was shocking (no pun intended).

On the issue of having to press hard - maybe the thin plate behind the firing button needs re-bending so it makes a firm contact with the 510. I did have the same 'hard press' issue and re-bending the internal plate did resolve it.

I know what you mean about the pulse voltage drop - obsessive cleaning of contacts and retightenig the internal switch does help but I've always found the Athena to be a much better performer.

The only other budget single 18650 squonks I can think of are the Advken CP and the Wotofo Stentorian Ram - but I haven't seen any of them for sale in years, The Advken was made from incredibly cheap and nasty plastic but actually performed well, The Stentorian Ram actually looked good, but mine had abysmal voltage drop that was worse than the Pulse. I doubt if you'll be able to find either now though - and the Athena is still the better option.

The only other option I can think of is to wade through 2Fdeal, 3F and 3aVapes listings to see if you can find a cloned 'high end' 18650 squonk - if you can find one nowadays you'll be playing Russian Roulette with the quality though,

It's a bit shit, but if your current Athenas can't be fixed easily I still think another Athena is the best easily available option you have - if you can get a year out of a 20 quid mod that's still about as cheap as it gets.

Back
Top Bottom