What's new

Blitz Ivo MTL RTA Warning! (DO NOT BUY)

MTLMike

Achiever
This product was purchased by myself, not provided by the manufacturer for this overview.

The Ivo is a 22mm RTA designed for MTL or RDL from Blitz Enterprises, it holds 2ml of e-liquid so is TPD compliant.
It's deck has a 3.0mm diameter hole which you would use for the RDL setting, and the inclusion of 3 inserts to reduce the airflow underneath the coil, a 2.0mm, 1.5mm and 1.0mm.
The AFC ring has dual airflow inlets so you would get 2.0mm by 4.0mm x2, 2.0mm x 2, 1.5mm x 2 and 1.0mm x 2.

Pardon my awful camera skills but here is the Black variant sitting on top of my Vaporesso Swag:
thumbnail_WP_20200825_002.jpg
Here are some reference photos from Blitz themselves, to provide a more detailed look at the tank:
authentic-blitz-ivo-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer-silver-20ml-22mm-diameter.jpg
authentic-blitz-ivo-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer-silver-20ml-22mm-diameter (1).jpg
authentic-blitz-ivo-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer-silver-20ml-22mm-diameter (2).jpg
authentic-blitz-ivo-rta-rebuildable-tank-atomizer-silver-20ml-22mm-diameter (3).jpg
That glass inner bell and the knurling reminds me of the Glaz Mini MTL RTA by Steam Crave which was a tank that's slipped me by but I have heard/read a lot of good things about.

Now I will say that for the most part of the tank I purchased, the overall fit and finish of the tank itself is quite decent and quite surprising for the price which was £19.99. You get a spare outer glass (but no spare glass bell), a wider bore 510 drip tip for RDL and spare o-rings. No spare deck screws though and although the reference pictures show them as gold, I am relieved to say they seem to have gone with Stainless Steel instead which looks a lot cleaner in my honest opinion. The only complaint was that the o-rings holding the outer glass were not holding it snug, the glass rocked back and forth and twisted around but didn't seem to leak in any capacity The o-ring holding the inner glass chamber wasn't the tightest either, enough to create a seal and once you screw the base into it, it's not going anywhere but still worth a mention. The seals on the airflow inserts however...well we'll get to the airflow inserts shortly.

Upon the arrival of this product, I did my usual with any RTA and cleaned it. After that I decided to go with the 1.5mm airflow insert (I like my MTL on the looser side) and did my usual build which is a MTL Clapton, 2.5mm id between 6-7 wraps which usually reads just shy of 1.0 ohm. After bedding my coil in, 0.93 ohm is the final resistance, so I wick it up which is a bloody breeze on this deck, cutting the cotton at the edge of the deck and then giving each side just the slightest comb to fluff it up. Lift each side with a pair of tweezers and fold inwards into the wicking slot. Juiced it up with some 50/50 3mg e-liquid, put the tank back together, filled it up and I was good to go.

Spending the rest of the day and evening with the tank, I dialled down the AFC to the dual 1.0mm holes which seemed to be my sweet spot along with the 1.5mm sitting under the coil. The flavour was perfect for me, I was thinking to myself that if the performance stays this good, I may have to grab another.

Later on that night though, after sorting out my cat's litter tray, I went to take a quick couple of toots and "Atomiser Short" kept coming up. I was somewhat confused and irritated but maybe my 510 connection just needs a clean as dust and what not sometimes finds it's way down there. So I removed the tank, gave the 510 on my mod a good clean and did the same for the 510 pin of the tank. Put it all back together and "Atomiser Short" came up again. So I again removed the tank and this time took the base out and what did I hear? A rattle, a little rattle of metal hitting metal, my airflow insert had come out on it's own and was shorting out my build. I took my build out and cleaned the base again and tried to place the insert back in, it was so wobbly which I didn't really notice the first time but it was super wobbly, I flipped the base over and out it bloody came. I tried all the inserts, they all did it, none of them sit securely or stay in place. Now maybe it's just dud batch of airflow inserts but I also got one in Silver (I know, i'm an idiot) and it has the exact same problem. I tried putting multiple o-rings on the airflow inserts, the included ones and some watch crown ones I have for smaller parts of various things. Nothing worked and the airflow inserts continued to be essentially a useless hazard. Imagine if I was using a 18350 Mech or a Hybrid mod instead of regulated, Jesus!

I have since emailed Blitz and the retailer to address this issue and I have been asked to send the tanks back so hopefully I will at least get my money back. Also, last night Phil Busardo uploaded a video about the Ivo and he had the exact same issue on both the black and silver one he was sent for review. If only that had come out before I'd already got them, would have saved myself a lot of hassle. Anyway I cannot recommend this tank at all because of this problem, it is shocking that this even got past their "Quality Control" but alas it did.

If you weren't going to use the inserts at all and just run this as a RDL tank then you shouldn't really have any issue, but when this is marketed as a MTL tank, who do you think is more likely to buy it? Mouth to lung users, so they should have made sure this was safe to use for the demographic of vapers it is geared towards. The thing is this tank was actually impressing me and I was thoroughly enjoying it until the issue reared it's small, thin o-ringed head. If they can fix this, I think they might actually have a winner on their hands but not until then and that is really unfortunate.

Anyway, that's my rant over with, thank you for taking the time to read this and I hope if you were interested or looking into this RTA, you'll look elsewhere at least until they can address and fix the issue.
Here is a link for Phil Busardo's video so you can get a visual representation of the problem as well as some of the issues with the packaging and what not that I completely forgot about to be honest:

Stay safe and smoke free my friends!

Thanks for that comprehensive overview Mike. Useful to know about the issues.

Thanks for that comprehensive overview Mike. Useful to know about the issues.
You're welcome, the annoying thing is, I've now actually fixed both issues myself using spare bits and pieces from other tanks but I shouldn't have bloody had to. I kind of want to keep them because the fixes will work indefinitely and they are performing the way I want them to now.

Nice one, thanks for that, have at the this on my wish list for a couple of months now so off it goes

No Problem Stooge, I don't blame you at all.
Oh.... Give the Glaz Mini a whirl. I have 3. It's a fine tank. Has a couple of minor niggles, but don't they all? Wicking has to be spot on and the glass chamber is prone to cracking. You get a spare, but I just had to order 10 spares direct from Steam Crave. Otherwise, it's a beauty.

Nice one, thanks for that, have at the this on my wish list for a couple of months now so off it goes
No problem Johnny, I wouldn't anyone to waste their money or end up getting hurt by a product that's supposed to be a form of harm reduction.

Back
Top Bottom