What's new

Coil and trouble

BoarReborn

Hi all. I hope this hasn't been asked a thousand times already, but here we go...
I vape with the geek vape L200, and I huff A LOT. I use the 80-90 watt coils, and I'm getting 2-4 days off of a coil consistently. I really need to know what I'm doing wrong to have such a short coil life. I vape at 82-84 watts, I always prime new coils, have the air flow open about one third... Am I huffing too hard, not hard enough, what? I usually use noms vape sauce, the fruit flavors, as I found the pastry and custards seem to burn them up faster... I'm just tired of buying a pack of coils every week and a half, two weeks... Any advice is appreciated!

Do you let a new coil soak for 10/15 minutes before taking a puff? Do you start with lower watts, and build up to the level you like a few at a time? You don't need to go up to the wattage on the coils. If you find you enjoy the vape at 55 watts then just stop there.

My 2 cents…..
Probably a combination of high wattage and (too) frequent puffs.
Vaping at/towards to coils’ maximum wattage is likely to reduce its lifespan - As suggested, make sure it’s left to prime for a while and increase the wattage slowly and try vaping at a much lower wattage.
If you are chain vaping, there is likelihood that you aren’t allowing enough time for the coil to re-wick before the next drag and possibly getting a lot of semi-dry hits.

Im guessing you are using the M coils. i tried the 0.2 and 0.15 and have stuck with the 0.15 (85-100w) for past year as the best of the bunch, but and its a big but, im only using 40-50watt max now which gives plenty of flavour and cloud with my custards.
as suggested, you need to start low, so say 25w and take short puffs, you will get no flavour or cloud but the coil is still heating up and bedding in the cotton. then turn up a watt every few puffs until you reach your sweet spot. If you want to vape at high wattage then you have to expect shorter life of the coils no matter what they say on the box is the range that they can handle.

Im guessing you are using the M coils. i tried the 0.2 and 0.15 and have stuck with the 0.15 (85-100w) for past year as the best of the bunch, but and its a big but, im only using 40-50watt max now which gives plenty of flavour and cloud with my custards.
as suggested, you need to start low, so say 25w and take short puffs, you will get no flavour or cloud but the coil is still heating up and bedding in the cotton. then turn up a watt every few puffs until you reach your sweet spot. If you want to vape at high wattage then you have to expect shorter life of the coils no matter what they say on the box is the range that they can handle.
I'm actually using z coils. I thought they were the only coils that would work with the L200... Also, I was told by my local vape store employee that I needed to be within the range of the coil wattage to extend coil life... Dang.

My 2 cents…..
Probably a combination of high wattage and (too) frequent puffs.
Vaping at/towards to coils’ maximum wattage is likely to reduce its lifespan - As suggested, make sure it’s left to prime for a while and increase the wattage slowly and try vaping at a much lower wattage.
If you are chain vaping, there is likelihood that you aren’t allowing enough time for the coil to re-wick before the next drag and possibly getting a lot of semi-dry hits.
I do huff a lot, but almost never hit back to back quickly. I'm trying now at 70 watts. My big issue is not that I want draconic clouds. I chase the throat hit, and just don't get it at low wattage. I do leave it to prime after I put in a new coil, and put sauce in the tip, but I never leave it 10-15 minutes. More like 5... Looks like I got a lot to learn still.

I'm actually using z coils. I thought they were the only coils that would work with the L200... Also, I was told by my local vape store employee that I needed to be within the range of the coil wattage to extend coil life... Dang.
sods law, i did start by asking was you using m or z coils but edited it DOH! I forgot which tank came with the L200.

So Zeus tank and Z coils
I love this tank with its top airflow but i did notice the coil life drop drastically after the first year even though using same custard.
I now only use the new XM 0.15ohm (70-85w) which for me anyway last longer than any of the original Z coils. im still only using 35-40watt max with these coils which still give enough cloud and flavour.
like any sub ohm coil that takes higher 70vg and lower nicotine (3mg for me) you will not get much of a throat hit. vg is for clouds while pg carries the taste and throat hit.
bedding in is a must though so dont go straight in at 70-80w. start at 25w and turn up a watt every few puffs.
not many sell the newer xm coils so heres where i get mine https://www.legionofvapers.com/product/geekvape-zeus-sub-ohm-mesh-coil-5pcs
also available at https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vape-coils/geekvape/zeus-replacement

If your after more throat hit have you thought about trying a MTL mouth to lung tank at much lower wattage (10-14w), 50vg/50pg, higher nicotine (6-18mg). will still work on your L200 and wont need charging every day as should last a lot longer.

Last edited:
As everyone else has mentioned, you're pushing the coils too hard - Yes there is definitely an upper limit to how much power the coils can handle, but not a lower limit. Definitely try vaping at a lower wattage - and try reducing the air intake to compensate for the reduced power. You'll probably find this gives a similar vape experience to running at higher power with the airflow wide open.

If you find you actually need to run the coils at high power, try using the Soft setting in the menu so all the power doesn't get thrown at the coil instantly - and check you haven't been accidentally been vaping on the High setting as that is a killer for stock coils.

sods law, i did start by asking was you using m or z coils but edited it DOH! I forgot which tank came with the L200.

So Zeus tank and Z coils
I love this tank with its top airflow but i did notice the coil life drop drastically after the first year even though using same custard.
I now only use the new XM 0.15ohm (70-85w) which for me anyway last longer than any of the original Z coils. im still only using 35-40watt max with these coils which still give enough cloud and flavour.
like any sub ohm coil that takes higher 70vg and lower nicotine (3mg for me) you will not get much of a throat hit. vg is for clouds while pg carries the taste and throat hit.
bedding in is a must though so dont go straight in at 70-80w. start at 25w and turn up a watt every few puffs.
not many sell the newer xm coils so heres where i get mine https://www.legionofvapers.com/product/geekvape-zeus-sub-ohm-mesh-coil-5pcs

So Zeus tank and Z coils
also available at https://www.vapeclub.co.uk/vape-coils/geekvape/zeus-replacement

If your after more throat hit have you thought about trying a MTL mouth to lung tank at much lower wattage (10-14w), 50vg/50pg, higher nicotine (6-18mg). will still work on your L200 and wont need charging every day as should last a lot longer.
Thank you so much. I'm actually in the US, but I'm certainly going to look for these coils around at my vape stores.

If your after more throat hit have you thought about trying a MTL mouth to lung tank at much lower wattage (10-14w), 50vg/50pg, higher nicotine (6-18mg). will still work on your L200 and wont need charging every day as should last a lot longer

As everyone else has mentioned, you're pushing the coils too hard - Yes there is definitely an upper limit to how much power the coils can handle, but not a lower limit. Definitely try vaping at a lower wattage - and try reducing the air intake to compensate for the reduced power. You'll probably find this gives a similar vape experience to running at higher power with the airflow wide open.

If you find you actually need to run the coils at high power, try using the Soft setting in the menu so all the power doesn't get thrown at the coil instantly - and check you haven't been accidentally been vaping on the High setting as that is a killer for stock coils.
I'm going to have to look into the different settings, too. I'm just using the "stock wattage setting". Not sure what else to call it. I guess I really need to research more.

Back
Top Bottom