What's new

Did it take you more than one attempt to switch?

Hi and welcome @jacklebeau I was I suppose one of the 'lucky ones' once I had started vaping that was it I was done with smoking. I have never touched a cigarettte since that first cig a like went into my mouth. Didn/t find it hard and within a few days I was finding the smell of smoke in my home and whilst out and about quite disgusting.

Did it take you more than one go to switch to vaping? If so, what was it that finally helped you make to switch? It took a lot of forward planning and research. Got quite confused about the different products available but I was motivated so that was that.

And - what's your number one piece of advice for someone trying to switch? Do it when you are ready and do your research.

Any input you could offer would be much appreciated! Also, if there's anything else you have to add that's relevant, feel free! Don't feel guilty about dual fueling if that is where you start.

First off, welcome to the Planet!! Habits are hard to break for almost everyone. Even if you vape and smoke you'll find yourself smoking less and less over time. Experiment, don't give up and enjoy with the best of success in totally going smoke free.

I'd tried a few times and even went a couple months before hitting the cigs, that was until I tried sub ohm. I had gave up until a mate talked me into trying his cf mod and Atlantis tank. Instantly I was impressed and haven't looked back since. I do however spend a fortune on vaping now, I guess I can't get enough of it.

Did it take you more than one go to switch to vaping? If so, what was it that finally helped you make to switch?

I tried a cigalike ... dual fuelled for a few days then committed fully to it as a self-medicated NRT that actually worked - neither gums nor patches worked for me. Two things were critical in making this work - will power and the ability to use the cigalike indoors. Cigalikes are not highly effective in delivering nicotine, not like gen 2 and gen 3 gear, but for me it was my dummy that I sucked on whenever I felt like a fag. I used cigalikes for two years, two long fucking years ...

Do you know other people who've struggled to switch or were dual users at first but quit smoking on a subsequent attempt? What made the difference for them?

Yes, I know a few like that. Often they wasted money on cheap and ineffective vape gear - both hardware and juices. The difference was getting them onto good generation 2 gear which (a) suited their budget and life style and (b) gave them a satisfying vape.

And - what's your number one piece of advice for someone trying to switch?

Get good advice from an experienced vaper. Join POTV.

Last edited:
I had tried the disposable things from a petrol station a few years earlier when I saw them on the checkout, but didn't find it satisfying so left it at that.

Then sometime in June or July this year (not sure when lol - about when I joined this board) I had just bought an egoOne starter kit out of curiousity - what is vaping like etc.? Was not intending to stop smoking, just try out vaping. Found vaping to be surprisingly good and 20+ a day went to about 5 cigarettes a day overnight. Carried on smoking when I wanted to, as I wasn't quitting - just trying out vaping.

Gradually the number of cigarettes per day dropped down to a couple a day - first thing / last thing. But I didn't really enjoy them that much anymore. Vaping had sort of ruined the taste of smoking. Cigarettes didn't taste the same anymore. Continued to have 1 if I felt I really needed one, and had a pack on hand at home in case I was desperate, but took me probably over a month to finish the pack.

Then just haven't bought anymore, and not nicked any off anyone either. That was over two months ago. Do wonder what it would be like to smoke one now after two months, but that's a dangerous game :D

Kit

I changed kit to 30w iStick and mini Nautilus after a few weeks as I wanted a longer, more reliable battery life. Have recently bought a sub-ohm tank to try something new. Having at least a back-up tank and battery / device is important - especially early on.

Number one piece of advice
My number one piece of advice, is based on my own experience. And that is - give the vaping a proper go, but, realise that a bit of dual fuelling isn't a disaster. Smoke if you must have one, but sitting about watching tv / on computer, breaks at work / car etc. just vape away. Vaping becomes more enjoyable than smoking pretty quickly.

Now this won't work for everyone, but it worked for me.

What's always gets me is how people don't wanna spend money to try vaping but are as I was happy to shell out a 10er a day. The mrs had a bit of a moan when I spent out on kit but within a week it had paid for itself. I agree not everyone is the same and I found some don't give vaping enough effort because of initial coughing which if I remember when starting smoking it did the same and took a fair few fags before I got used to it, the same as with vaping. My claim to fame is getting a old skool guy at work onto vaping after 30+ years on 20+ a day. Now His van goes down the road like a steam train lol.

I agree not everyone is the same and I found some don't give vaping enough effort because of initial coughing which if I remember when starting smoking it did the same and took a fair few fags before I got used to it, the same as with vaping.

I didn't find vaping caused any coughing at all. The first few toots were a bit rough maybe. Still - I don't remember coughing when starting smoking either - just dizziness / headaches.

I didn't find vaping caused any coughing at all. The first few toots were a bit rough maybe. Still - I don't remember coughing when starting smoking either - just dizziness / headaches.
Lucky I coughed my guts up, as regards Nic a few times I've sat in a hot sweat lol. But gotta love it

Tried loads of times to quit cigs, couple of years ago had the old plastic ce4 type clearomisers quit for a few weeks kept going back on the cigs, tried the cig a likes, absolute rubbis and waste of £100 (yes, I know NOW that I was raped) tried about 4 months ago on a kamry something or other cartomiser 18350, liked it, went and got myself a subox kit and haven't looked back.

Got a few friends who like the idea of vaping like stwaling puffs on my vape kit, but can't quite bring themselves to let go of the cigs yet.

Best bit of advice to newbies? Research the kit you want to buy, dive into sites like this and ask the silly questions early,spend wisely spend once*

*until you get shinyitis and end up spending more on vaping than you did on smoking and get reminded of it every time the postman rings your doorbell.

Back
Top Bottom