What's new

Getting really frustrated with my coils!

Im guessing you have just the one coil setup....

Remove the screw that blocks the hole for the option for a second coil, if you get what I mean.

This should help your wicking problem

Tried that. Same. Giving up for tonight. 3 hours I won't get back lol

From my understanding they aren't supposed to be glowing :)

Which mesh did you use? 400 for higher PG juice the 270 for higher VG juice, make sure they aren't rolled too tightly. The peice of mesh I used is barely wider than my finger (and I have fat man hands) so maybe just over half an inch wide. I rolled it around a blunt needle tip so I have a center hole down the middle of the mesh wick

I find I am oxidizing a mesh wck about 5-8 times. Depending on how impatient I am feeling.

Do the juice burning thing that Scott does then soak the wick completely. If you are finding hot spots, use a small itty bitty peice ofy paper, roll the wick in the ciggie paper the entire length where you will wrap your coil.

Use a tooth pick to adjust the coils once you have it installed and wrapped in the Cobra.

I found that the closer the top coil is to the centre pin, the less likely I get a hot spot there.

I can fire it now for about 10 seconds before I get a hot spot. Since I dont take 10 second long draws, this works for me.

LOL Mark don't give up :P I found it very relaxing to be honest and took about 5 hours of faffing with it to get it semi-right.

Oh and as Darth said, make sure the coil isnt wrapped tight

I used the 400 mesh cos Scott uses it in the oxidising video I reposted in the cobra thread. I also measured the mesh the same as he did 3 x 4 cm

My juice is 50/50 so may be part of it

So glowing is bad..I think it's down to wicking. I did have to roll it tight to get it through the hole. I could see through down the length of the wick..just

The coils are very evenly spread and glow evenly too.

As I say though even if I drip directly and fire and vape..tastes metallic

Coil is burning too hot, meaning most likely the mesh isn't oxidized completely. Youve got to get those lil bastards super hot, do you have a gas cooker?

I bought a cooks blow torch for the purpose and did it loads of times and i did the burning ejuice thing too but I'll make another one tomorrow ..

Sounds like wicking problems Mark. Too much wick?

'Sometimes' a wick just needs time to bed-in before it will wick properly, sometimes you need to cut down the amount of mesh you are using, sometimes use a different grade of mesh. Not very helpful suggestions I know, but hard to come up with something definite without knowing which atty you are mastering.

If it's the Cobra, and this is for USMMUK as well, I'm doing OK with 325 mesh (wife threw out the patch of 400 I had) 35mm x about 22mm. If it's not the Cobra, at least I tried :14: One other tip that has made my coiling a lot easier, is to try the 'drill-bit method' http://www.vaporwall.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1838 It's a bit of a read but the essence of it is to use a drill-bit to form your coil on and get the coil in place. Then roll your mesh wick to fit snugly into the coil. With the Cobra I've used a 2.5mm bit.

Hope that's not too elitist for you :jaded:

Back
Top Bottom