What's new

Goon 1.5 Coil Placement?

Genghis Fogs

Postman
I fancy giving the Goon 1.5 another go. I've never been able to really dial it in flavour wise; perhaps it's just not that good and I'm spoilt by newer kit. Am I right in thinking that the correct coil set up is - 1. Coil build length to the size of the air holes. 2. Inner diameter 3.5 (+). 3. Coils nice and close to the the air holes. 4. Side on airflow hitting the coils. As ever, I appreciate your input.

Was never blown away by the 1.5. The OG 3 air hole version was far better (IMHO), but the big man @SirLugg preferred the 1.5.

Coils definitely positioned close to the airflow intake, and slightly raised so the bottom of the coil is visible looking in thru the air flow slots.

What @Mitz said.

I never really pay too much attention to the wire type or id but the 1.5 is definitely a go big or go home atty. Wide, thick gauge wire and as many wraps as you can fit, and as per above high enough so the air hits the underneath of the coils and gets pulled through them.

I've always positioned the coil mid way between the (hateful) clamps and the air inlet - and as everyone has already said raise the coils slightly so you can see the bottom of the coils to get the best out of it.

Unfortunately time hasn't been kind to the Goon, it only works for me at veery high power settings with the airflow fully open (is awful in single coil mode) and most side airflow RDAs of the last few years are less awkward to build, more versatile and give better flavour. It's OK at very high power settings - but not much use for anything else IMO

Thank chaps. I've got it set up as suggested. I've concluding that it hasn't been me not setting it up right for all these years, it's just a bit naff.

Still has to be said that the Goon is a builders dream deck, and cant be beaten, for the big complex coils, and does nice pictures too!..

Not tried the 1.5 but have the OG (well a few)
:)

Back
Top Bottom