What's new

Help me pick a new mod and tank that uses pre-made coils or pods

markdixon27

Postman
Hi all,
It's been quite a while since I've visited POTV and I'm in need of some advice.

I tend to ramble a bit so tl;dr at the bottom ;)

Basically, I'm fed up of messing with coils and cotton. I've been vaping for a good number of years, and after going through several mods and tanks, I've spent the last couple of years squonking on a Lost Vape Drone with various RDA's (including Wotofo Profile, TVC Drop and others), and more recently (cos the Drone started leaking) I got a Vandy Vape Pulse v2 with 21700 battery and an interesting tank called the Thunder Head Creations Tauren Max RDTA which has a smaller, squonk-fed glass section at the bottom. Nothing wrong with the setup, apart from its dual coil (con for me as I prefer lower watts and the Pulse is a single battery mod), uses a lot of juice (not so much of a con as the the squonk bottle plus the little reservoir in the tank helps keep me juiced up on long car journeys etc, but will still rapidly deplete), and I'm tired of having to mess with coils and cotton.

So on to what I'm asking for: I want a tank that uses pre-made coil heads or pods that I can just empty, rinse, insert new coil/pod, juice up and go; with some caveats/preferences
  • Would like to be able to get at least 4ml of juice in the tank
  • Direct inhale, not MTL
  • Lower watts would be nice
  • Fair price pods/coils
I have tried looking and have also bought and dismissed two setups:
Voopoo Drag X Plus - bought this (with the larger capacity tank) and of the two coils that came in the kit, the 0.15 coil didn't work out of the box (although I am aware of a possible firmware update/issue that fixes detection of low ohm coils) and the other coil (the 0.2) burnt out in less than 24 hours, well more like less than 12 hours, so returned that and got...
Smok Arcfox - A piece of c**p. Has the TFV Mini v2 tank (also known as TFV8 Baby V2). Mod is ok I suppose, more form over function, but the tank is horrible, and to be honest, has some issues with a VERY VERY short positive pin; it's practically flush with the tank casing on both ends, so much so that I have just switched to the .2 coil that comes with the kit (after using the .15 coil for a couple of weeks and getting a fairly decent vape from it to be honest, apart from having to fill up every time I use it, 2ml capacity) that the mod said there was no coil detected and I had to fiddle with the coil head to get it to work. I honestly don't really feel safe using it.

Thing is, I really wanted to like the Drag X. I love the magnetic mount of the coil head/tank, simple to use (I'm over using over-engineered complicated mods after owning the Drone (DNA chip) and a SXi Q mini or whatever it was called) but just wasn't happy with the coils...

So what do you guys suggest? Oh, and I have also tried using pre-made coils like the Coil Master Skynet bundle, but would just rather use coil heads that are ready to install and vape.

Has anyone had any experience and can comment on these:
Voopoo Drag 3 kit - I know, same coils as the Drag X but like I said, I wanted to like the device and this is dual battery, which doesn't hurt.
Geek Vape Aegis Boost Pro - Single 18650, but lots of options, including larger 6ml tanks, 510 adaptors and coil heads. I like the look of this a lot actually.
SXK Supbox - lots of customisation, but possibly more than I am looking for.
[update - new contender]
Lost Vape Ursa - nice device, large capacity tanks available, 21700 compatible, 510 adaptor, plenty of coils

Any tanks I can just stick on top of the half dozen mods I have?
Seems like the Valyrian 2/Pro and Crown V seem popular. Any comments from users?

Told you I ramble on a bit.

tl;dr bit

Can you recommend a kit or just a tank that uses pods or premade coilheads cos I'm sick of making coils and faffing with cotton. I have tried the Drag X but the one working coil that came with it burnt out in less than a day. Would like DTL vaping, lower wattage, possibility of extending tank capacity to 4ml or larger.
Currently like the Lost Vape Ursa, but would be open to any kit or tank that fits the bill.

Thanks

Last edited:
If ever asked my mod recommendation is always Vapor Storm Puma. Nice in the hand, lightweight, fires instantly and cheap as chips. I would stick a HorizonTech Sakerz on it or a Geek Vape Z Max tank, both fantastic flavour.

I replaced all my RTA setups with Geekvape Zeus tanks and Lost Vape Grus mods. They have been great.

From your list I have tried the Aegis Boost Pro and the Lost Vape Ursa Quest.

The Boost pro is good but you have to buy a seperate 510 adapter. The P series coils are pretty decent and better than the B series that you get for the other boost pods. You can also use the Boost Plus pods to use the B series coils in the pro but the TPD ones are awful because you can't see the juice level at all in them. Better off with the non-tpd version of the Boost Plus spare pod. The Pro is pretty versatile with all the options though, you can even get an RDTA pod for it as well, although I never tried that personally.

The Ursa Quest Multi kit is great. I'm using one just now and I love it. You get the 510 adapter in the kit and 2 different pods. I prefer the ursa pod to the ursa pro one as the coil you get in the kit is lower wattage and that's what I like. Again better getting the non TPD version from overseas though. It's quite a heavy mod but takes 21700 batteries so lasts longer at higher wattages. You can also get an RBA for it seperately.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Went and got a Ursa earlier today. Was out with the wife having a coffee and passed a vape shop, so thought I'd pop in and see what they had. Paid a little more than some online retailers but was worth it and the guy in the shop was really helpful. So far I'm pleased with the setup. Definitely do need to get a larger tank for it, and I will try the non-pro coils as @Gitchy recommends. Currently on the Pro coil that came in the box and having a damn good time, too!
Thanks, guys. Can always count on the POTV community.

Thanks to everyone for the replies. Went and got a Ursa earlier today. Was out with the wife having a coffee and passed a vape shop, so thought I'd pop in and see what they had. Paid a little more than some online retailers but was worth it and the guy in the shop was really helpful. So far I'm pleased with the setup. Definitely do need to get a larger tank for it, and I will try the non-pro coils as @Gitchy recommends. Currently on the Pro coil that came in the box and having a damn good time, too!
Thanks, guys. Can always count on the POTV community.
Really nice pick mate. Go get the Pro RBA coil, its worthy ;)

Back
Top Bottom