What's new

House Of Lords Vote Would Scupper TPD

petition.png

Keep it going

47,265 sigs now but that's still under 2% of all vapers. I am going to give it a push Tomorrow when i go to an Hospital appointment hopefully drum up some more support

So it's all seemed to have gone a bit quiet. What happens when the 40 days of praying ends (June 10th?) does anyone know what the process is?

All I DO know is that we now need to aim for 100K signatures. If that can be achieved, the petition HAS to be considered for debate by Parliament.

All I DO know is that we now need to aim for 100K signatures. If that can be achieved, the petition HAS to be considered for debate by Parliament.

Do we need a debate by Parliament at this point? I don't really understand how this works but from what I read, it has already been debated in the House of Lords and they have until June 10th to vote on whether to kill article 20 - and whatever they decide could overrule the current gov't

Is that correct?

I have signed the partition and written (twice) to my local MP, and to Lord Callanan and a couple of other Lords, and am continually badgering all my friends and relatives.

My opinion is simply that whatever we can do to try and kill this stone dead has got to be worth a shot.
Yes The Lords can debate this and in theory overturn it. But if that fails, we need more strings to our bows.

My opinion is simply that whatever we can do to try and kill this stone dead has got to be worth a shot.
Yes The Lords can debate this and in theory overturn it. But if that fails, we need more strings to our bows.

I certainly can't fault that logic :D

I don't think the petition "forces" a debate, it's not that kind of petition but it should influence policy change.
Three new EDMs, petition, motion to kill the whole TPD etc etc -- it all helps and worst case scenario is blind eyes turned to "infringements" and hopefully an early review of the TRPRegs.
If (I think it's a big if) the TRPR was "killed", the law simply reverts to prior TPD Regs which don't cover "e-cigs".
Then, the Govt might decide to introduce specific regs or an SI to control aspects of vaping devices and liquids or simply announce that these would be covered by existing legislation.
If the TRPR is "killed" the UK could be fined by the EU for an infraction.
All exciting stuff though and the vaping profile certainly has been raised by all of this following on the heels of the RCP report and Lords debate.

Back
Top Bottom