What's new

memzey's mixes

I get that nasty aftertaste from Catalan cream as well. I wonder if its related to the pepper taste from most Vanilla bean ice cream flavours, the only one of those I can stomach is Liquid Barns.

I think it's supposed to be in there.

"A perfect blend of vanilla, cream and spices, with a delicate caramel undertone."

I think it's a dessert of some kind, rather than an actual cream.

I hadn’t considered that as it comes across more like a custard than a straight cream but you might be on to something, good shout. I need to close out some of my open coffee recipes first before I dive into that one though!

You're right, from the recipes I'm looking at, it's made with egg yolks, milk, cinnamon, lemon and sugar, there's no cream in it at all.

You're right, I've just googled it. Its a creme brulee, but with lemon and cinnamon. Which explains a lot!
https://www.cookist.com/catalan-cream-the-traditional-spanish-recipe/

yeah, I had a penny drop moment after reading the comments...... 'Bavarian Cream' is a dessert too and I'm pretty sure the TPA one includes the caramel sauce you can see in this picture of it.

Bavarian_cream,_strawberries,_caramel_sauce,_spoon.jpg

I had high hopes for Catalan Cream but I get a strange spicy note from it. I haven’t tried to work it into a recipe yet but that spice would need to be accommodated somehow. Maybe a cinnamon and cream donut or some other pastry.

It can work well in baccy blends, not too much for me though, spices do my sinuses in. Thankfully it's not a VBIC peppery taste to me, just some cinnamon really. I use it now and then, at no more than 1%.

Last edited:
.... Vienna Cream, seems to be something like a buttercream filling.

This is from a recipe called 'Vienna Cream Kisses' which are like those Mr Kipling Viennese Whirls, which explains their name too.

"For the vienna cream, beat butter until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar, then the milk; gradually beat in the remaining icing sugar."

giphy.gif

This is amazing, everything I know is a lie!
Devon cream is a thing as well with cream cheese and sugar. I do find CCW's one almost alcoholic

.... Vienna Cream, seems to be something like a buttercream filling.

This is from a recipe called 'Vienna Cream Kisses' which are like those Mr Kipling Viennese Whirls, which explains their name too.

"For the vienna cream, beat butter until as white as possible. Gradually beat in half the sifted icing sugar, then the milk; gradually beat in the remaining icing sugar."
In one of the recipes I've found on the web I have a note that says "TPA Bavarian Cream is Interchangeable with FA Vienna Cream @1/2 strength". I guess these flavours are a lot like conventional food recipes and different flavour houses put their own spin on things.

View attachment 230700

This is amazing, everything I know is a lie!
Devon cream is a thing as well with cream cheese and sugar. I do find CCW's one almost alcoholic

In one of the recipes I've found on the web I have a note that says "TPA Bavarian Cream is Interchangeable with FA Vienna Cream @1/2 strength". I guess these flavours are a lot like conventional food recipes and different flavour houses put their own spin on things.

it's interesting.... until you taste them there's no way of knowing how accurate they are either. It does explain why we get lemon, caramel and spice 'off notes' in some of these 'creams' though. :D

I'd have presumed Devon cream was just thick clotted cream.

I guess it pays to do a little research, lol.

I can't remember off hand, but there was a couple of flavours I bought that I thought we one thing and turned out to be something else because of the differences in what Americans call something and what we call it.

it's interesting.... until you taste them there's no way of knowing how accurate they are either. It does explain why we get lemon, caramel and spice 'off notes' in some of these 'creams' though. :D

I'd have presumed Devon cream was just thick clotted cream.

I guess it pays to do a little research, lol.

I can't remember off hand, but there was a couple of flavours I bought that I thought we one thing and turned out to be something else because of the differences in what Americans call something and what we call it.
True, I'm starting to doubt how accurate my expectations of them are now though, and to top it off its like assuming you'll get the same Banoffee pie from the Hairy Bikers as you would from Ainsley Harriet

bphnb.gif

I had high hopes for Catalan Cream but I get a strange spicy note from it. I haven’t tried to work it into a recipe yet but that spice would need to be accommodated somehow. Maybe a cinnamon and cream donut or some other pastry.
Known as crema catalana or crema cremada (“burnt cream”), Catalan Cream is very similar to the French crème brûlée but there are some distinct differences. Crème brûlée is flavored with vanilla while Catalan cream is made with both vanilla and also flavored with orange and/or lemon and a hint of cinnamon.

Back
Top Bottom