What's new

My first monobloc: Acorn box mod

mc viper

Postman
Hello to all.
I present to you my latest creation, the Acorn box mod.
I can't say that I miss boxes, but I discovered that I like to build them and sometimes I make one.
This is my first monobloc and it is a study for another monobloc that I want to do. I made it with an oak branch (Quercia Cerro), which I cut 3 years ago; hence the name of the box.
The project I had then was different and I had already cut the piece according to those measures. My idea was to make the classic box with a flap. Using this type of battery holder instead, I had to deal with 6 mm more. The circuit, a yihi sx350j, thus protrudes 2 mm from the wood. It was therefore not possible to set the brass into the wood and I therefore chose to place it on the side and allow those 2 mm to penetrate the brass.
At the beginning I thought of making the series connections of the two battery holders inside the box, in order to have a series also by inserting the batteries in the same direction. However, I realized that, being the screw cups also conductive , if they had both come into contact with a conductor (coins, keys ...) a short circuit would have been created. I then welded the barrel of the two battery holders together and the batteries will then be inserted in opposite directions.
For the screen, I thought of pouring resin into the window made for the purpose so that it made a single body with the front panel, resin which I then sanded bringing it to the same level as the brass. The screen is thus protected from shocks, dust and liquid . Probably you can't see this screen cover from the photos because it's quite transparent.
I made the buttons with the same brass used for the front panel. Not having a lathe available, I used a drill in combination with a sander machine.
The wood was treated with epoxy resin in vacuum, both outside and inside. After a rough finish (600 grit), I smeared the resin on the surface of the wood and then inserted it in a plastic bag with some degassed resin inside and I closed the bag by removing all the air and distributing the resin on the whole piece. I then vacuumed it until the resin finished to hardens. In this way I made the resin penetrate into the wood and into the cracks that were there. It is not the same as stabilizing the wood because I don't think this resin can penetrate much in the wood, much less in such a compact wood, but seeing some bubbles that have developed on the surface of the wood, a little resin has definitely penetrated. I then sanded down to the wood. I then made the holes and the millings (dear old dremel ...), I applied the resin inside and vacuumed again. I made the bevels and finished the exterior with sandpaper up to 5000 grit. I applied resin again on the surface, put the piece under vacuum until the resin has gelled and then I removed all the resin that the wood had not absorbed. The box therefore has a shiny, painted appearance, but at the tactile level it is possible to perceive the wood fibers which thus give a silky sensation. Wood has also acquired shades and reflections.
For the vacuum chamber I modified an old pan (it keeps the vacuum for at least a week) and the vacuum is created through the connection to the compressor suction. I also use this chamber to degass resin in other projects.
In the various processes I made some mistakes and some details are not precise, but these errors gave me the opportunity to study different ways of proceeding. I must say, however, that the final result was above my expectations.
My wife says that for me this box is too small, that it is not suitable for a man, that is too fine for me ... I think I'll have to do another one ....
IMG_20200307_131001.jpeg
IMG_20200307_130330.jpeg
IMG_20200307_131215.jpeg
IMG_20200307_134258.jpeg

:worship: you did an outstanding job on it mate how long did it take to make in total ?

Hello to all.
I present to you my latest creation, the Acorn box mod.
I can't say that I miss boxes, but I discovered that I like to build them and sometimes I make one.
This is my first monobloc and it is a study for another monobloc that I want to do. I made it with an oak branch (Quercia Cerro), which I cut 3 years ago; hence the name of the box.
The project I had then was different and I had already cut the piece according to those measures. My idea was to make the classic box with a flap. Using this type of battery holder instead, I had to deal with 6 mm more. The circuit, a yihi sx350j, thus protrudes 2 mm from the wood. It was therefore not possible to set the brass into the wood and I therefore chose to place it on the side and allow those 2 mm to penetrate the brass.
At the beginning I thought of making the series connections of the two battery holders inside the box, in order to have a series also by inserting the batteries in the same direction. However, I realized that, being the screw cups also conductive , if they had both come into contact with a conductor (coins, keys ...) a short circuit would have been created. I then welded the barrel of the two battery holders together and the batteries will then be inserted in opposite directions.
For the screen, I thought of pouring resin into the window made for the purpose so that it made a single body with the front panel, resin which I then sanded bringing it to the same level as the brass. The screen is thus protected from shocks, dust and liquid . Probably you can't see this screen cover from the photos because it's quite transparent.
I made the buttons with the same brass used for the front panel. Not having a lathe available, I used a drill in combination with a sander machine.
The wood was treated with epoxy resin in vacuum, both outside and inside. After a rough finish (600 grit), I smeared the resin on the surface of the wood and then inserted it in a plastic bag with some degassed resin inside and I closed the bag by removing all the air and distributing the resin on the whole piece. I then vacuumed it until the resin finished to hardens. In this way I made the resin penetrate into the wood and into the cracks that were there. It is not the same as stabilizing the wood because I don't think this resin can penetrate much in the wood, much less in such a compact wood, but seeing some bubbles that have developed on the surface of the wood, a little resin has definitely penetrated. I then sanded down to the wood. I then made the holes and the millings (dear old dremel ...), I applied the resin inside and vacuumed again. I made the bevels and finished the exterior with sandpaper up to 5000 grit. I applied resin again on the surface, put the piece under vacuum until the resin has gelled and then I removed all the resin that the wood had not absorbed. The box therefore has a shiny, painted appearance, but at the tactile level it is possible to perceive the wood fibers which thus give a silky sensation. Wood has also acquired shades and reflections.
For the vacuum chamber I modified an old pan (it keeps the vacuum for at least a week) and the vacuum is created through the connection to the compressor suction. I also use this chamber to degass resin in other projects.
In the various processes I made some mistakes and some details are not precise, but these errors gave me the opportunity to study different ways of proceeding. I must say, however, that the final result was above my expectations.
My wife says that for me this box is too small, that it is not suitable for a man, that is too fine for me ... I think I'll have to do another one ....View attachment 212727View attachment 212728View attachment 212729View attachment 212730

You have done a great job on that, looks very good mate well done :2thumbsup:

fantastic work .. tho the 510 may fail as those ar'nt heavy duty ..
but hey i wouldn't kick it out of bed in the morning ..

Hello to all.
I just got back from a bbq session: hic! Hello world!
@BigCloud : I made it during a week. I think it took me about 5 hours of work.
@Vapaneezer Scrooge : glad it can be informative for someone. This is the reason I wrote this...
@flearider : I understand what you mean but think about how hard can be the wood of a barrique: the wood that I used is as hard as a barrique's wood. This 510 cup goes 11mm into this hard wood and, in addition to be pressured inserted in(8.6mm cup into 8.5 hole) , is also epoxy glued. I think that neither a " my wife's crash test" 's can defeat it[emoji23]

Last edited:
... When I pressed the 510's cup, I put a paper between the wood and the the atom so the atom will never touch and scratch the wood...

Back
Top Bottom