What's new

Need Some Advice On First External Charger

ninjazx6

Achiever
So I've just bought an ehpro 101 that I plan to run in 18350 mode, and which has no usb charging, so will need to get my first external charger (have survived without one for about 3 years lol).

I work from home so my normal method of charging is just to plug my mods (only single 18650) into my desktop usb port. Works fine for me I don't need quick charging or anything.

So with that in mind I'm looking at the Xtar MC1 or MC1 Plus from @Ben fogstar

First question - can I plug it into a usb port and let the charger work out all the amps Etc, or do I need a wall adaptor?

Second question - it's only a quid difference, what does the MC1 Plus do that the MC1 doesn't? Fogstar mentions IA ability on the Plus but not sure what that is.

The plus can charge a battery in half the time of the MC1 and will be fine to run on a PC too if it was me picking between them I'd get the plus [emoji5]

Oh and the 1A is the power output of the charger so it will charge your battery at 1 amp the MC1 will charge at .5 amp

You may find though that you won't get the full 1A from the MC1 Plus as there's an amp limit on charging
from a USB port. Depends whether it's USB 2.0 or 3.0 - 3.0 gives more amps.
Either way, better with the MC1 Plus.

Also, I think you will ultimately end up finding it unhelpful using a charger with no charge indicator level lights as with
the MC1.

Haven't experience of these two but do have the VC2 which is excellent.

=
“A unit load is defined as 100 mA in USB 2.0, and 150 mA in USB 3.0. A device may draw a maximum of 5 unit loads (500 mA) from a port in USB 2.0; 6 (900 mA) in USB 3.0. In the USB 1.0 and 2.0 specs, a standard downstream port is capable of delivering up to 500mA (0.5A); with USB 3.0, it moves up to 900mA (0.9A).”

I would scrap the thought and buy a 2 or 4 battery charger as it may come in useful in the long term. saves you buying yet another charger down the road at some point. I would go for something with 1 amp or 2 amp capability but rember the amps will get split between batteries on most chargers @ninjazx6

+ a plug adaptor & plug it into an outlet next to the desk.

Everyone has their own way of using these though, hence why they designed the compact ones.

I suggest the Xtar SV2 Rocket which comes with a plug adapter and takes two cells. It can charge from 0.5A up to 2A. It's only £15 to £20.
The display is useful compared to the MC chargers.

Back
Top Bottom