What's new

new VAT rules for imports from 1st jan 2021

Ok yeah I think that's right.... so what the government want Inawera to do now is register for UK VAT and collect the 20% for them.... and you pay nothing else.... but what's happening is that companies aren't all on board yet, so we are having to pay it when it arrives and a fee to the courier to collect it instead.

... which is what it was like buying from the rest of the world before, it's why I stopped buying vinyl from the US because of those extra fees. I guess the government thought the new rules would avoid that, but if parcels are not showing that the VAT has been already collected then, we are kind of stuffed.

but there’s nothing on parcels to say whether or not the vat has been paid, and hmrc have stopped doing checks at the customs border related to taxes according to the article i posted above. i don’t really understand it.

but there’s nothing on parcels to say whether or not the vat has been paid, and hmrc have stopped doing checks at the customs border related to taxes according to the article i posted above. i don’t really understand it.

Right... so on the second point I guess they are just going 'woah, nothing to do with us gov' and leaving it to the delivery companies to deal with, hence the charges...

.... on the first point, what's to stop you saying to DHL, no I'm not paying that, I paid VAT when I bought it? ... how would they know?

Right... so on the second point I guess they are just going 'woah, nothing to do with us gov' and leaving it to the delivery companies to deal with, hence the charges...

.... on the first point, what's to stop you saying to DHL, no I'm not paying that, I paid VAT when I bought it? ... how would they know?

that’s the point, they don’t know. but neither does the government. the dhl charges are customs duty and fees. nobody is charging vat, as far as i can see. it’s been devolved to the sellers.

that’s the point, they don’t know. but neither does the government. the dhl charges are customs duty and fees. nobody is charging vat, as far as i can see. it’s been devolved to the sellers.

The rules on customs duty hasn't changed has it?

The link you first posted is just about VAT. I've never been charged 'customs duty' on anything.

The link you first posted is just about VAT. I've never been charged 'customs duty' on anything.

aye, but from 1st jan vat is no longer charged at the customs border. i think customs duty applies over £139 or something. yet i’ve never paid it either. so fuck knows! :D

aye, but from 1st jan vat is no longer charged at the customs border. i think customs duty applies over £139 or something. yet i’ve never paid it either. so fuck knows! :D

yeah, I don't buy £150 mods so me neither. :D

I have, multiple times, from the States and Canada. Always made me cry.

Stuff from the EU now ought to appear VAT-free on their websites so we pay the fee and collection charge here. I guess it’s a case of these people getting to grips with it so we just line FedEx’s pocket instead of everybody’s pocket.

Back
Top Bottom