What's new

new VAT rules for imports from 1st jan 2021

ah, there you go

"VAT will be added and charged by Thomann GmbH after processing an order only if the net value of the items is equal or less than 135.00 GBP"

i think they have got that wrong still, though. i think they should be charging uk vat regardless of the price. the £135 thing is about customs charges.

i think they have got that wrong still, though. i think they should be charging uk vat regardless of the price. the £135 thing is about customs charges.

Well I guess if custom charges apply then they will have to add those at customs, along with VAT?

I dunno mate, too confusing for me..... and for massive European retailers too it seems. :D

Special Rules for our UK Customers
With the new trade agreement between the EU and the UK, new regulations have been applied to all commercial transactions between the two distinct markets.

The rules are slightly different for commercial/ business to business transactions, or not? I thought even with B2B that VAT must be (first) paid and reclaimed later?

Things are bound to get lost in translation, depends what that German company mean by commercial, perhaps.

The rules are slightly different for commercial/ business to business transactions, or not? I thought even with B2B that VAT must be (first) paid and reclaimed later?

Things are bound to get lost in translation, depends what that German company mean by commercial, perhaps.

perhaps...

I've just had a look on S.I.P Germany (biggest scooter parts vendor in Europe) and there's no special shipping info for the UK up yet as far as I can see.

I'm tempted to order something small just to see what happens. :)

I have just had a small package delivered from USA via Dutch post DHL Global... true value was about £12.... marked down on the label as $1.67.

perhaps...

I've just had a look on S.I.P Germany (biggest scooter parts vendor in Europe) and there's no special shipping info for the UK up yet as far as I can see.

I'm tempted to order something small just to see what happens. :)
SIP reduced their prices a week or so ago to reflect the vat-free price. I don’t know how they then go about charging uk vat, but I know folks have received deliveries and SIP were confirming business would continue as usual.

This could actually be a Brexit dividend. Germany implemented the ban on x-border vape kit sales within the EU...but maybe I can start ordering from them again now?

SIP reduced their prices a week or so ago to reflect the vat-free price. I don’t know how they then go about charging uk vat, but I know folks have received deliveries and SIP were confirming business would continue as usual.

Cool... I would imagine the UK makes up a big percentage of their sales, both direct and trade markets, so I guess they aren't going to let anything stop that.

This could actually be a Brexit dividend. Germany implemented the ban on x-border vape kit sales within the EU...but maybe I can start ordering from them again now?

oh, I didn't know that... what's the thinking behind that?

.. and yeah, I don't see why not.

Cool... I would imagine the UK makes up a big percentage of their sales, both direct and trade markets, so I guess they aren't going to let anything stop that.

oh, I didn't know that... what's the thinking behind that?

.. and yeah, I don't see why not.
TPD gave countries a pick and mix set of options. Germany adopted the bit about banning cross border sales to certain countries - which included the uk. At that point I couldn’t buy my fancy German kit directly. Struck me this no longer applies so maybe I can buy there in future.

Only need a floor rack for the GTS now so I’ll not be using SIP for a hellawhile.

Just read this on the Nar Mods group - I thought this might be the attitude of some smaller modders, I don't blame them. I'll bet there will be more

**Attention UK members**

I was recently informed that, as of January 1 2021, the UK government is requiring all foreign merchants to collect 20% VAT for goods and services, costing £135 or less, sold to UK residents. The customs forms will need to include the collected VAT amount, otherwise the shipment will be rejected and sent back.
Furthermore, foreign merchants are required to register with the HMRC to acquire licensing for VAT collection and reporting. Part of the registration includes submitting passport and bank/financial information, and signing a contractual agreement for quarterly VAT reporting and payment obligations.
As a non UK based business, I’m not willing to submit to such agreements with a foreign government agency, which means I won’t be able to sell to customers in the UK anymore.
I hope this policy changes soon, because it’s completely unfair to all UK consumers in general.
I want to apologize to our UK members… I appreciate you and have nothing but love for you, but I’m not comfortable at all with these new terms, and as such am forced to suspend all sales to the UK until further notice. Sorry!!
I’ll be sure to keep you updated if or when things change.

Back
Top Bottom