What's new

Newbie coil help

S2V

Postman
Hi guys n gals, Bit of a newbie here, I have a kanga K and sub tank, up till now I have used the pre made heads but I want to start making my own coils, I tried to use the coil calculator but it keep coming back telling me to only make 1 single wrap, obviously wrong.

I have in my possession some Kanthal A-1 0.20mm 32AWG I also have some 0.28 29AWG, I am trying to make a coil around 0.4 0.5. I have a mandrel for wrapping and some cotton for wicking.

What wire out of the 2 would be best used and as a rough gauge how many wraps at what diameter would be about right?

Appreciate any help.

Thanks.

It looks like you have to invest in some lower gauge (thicker) wire. I suggest you go for 26 or 24 gauge. Best place to get them is stealthvape. You won't be disappointed. They also have ohms calculator on their website.
If you don't want to go that route you need to twist the two lengths of the ticker wire you have (29AWG) with a drill (check out YouTube for that. With that twisted wire 5 wraps around a 3mm screwdriver (drill bit) or 6 wraps around a 2.5mm screwdriver should give you between 0.5 to 0.6 ohms.

Thanks, I tried this and am getting 0.9, This is my first coil, the flavor seems really muted, and I am getting a little bit of hot juice on my tongue, Could this be due to not using enough cotton?

Thanks, I tried this and am getting 0.9, This is my first coil, the flavor seems really muted, and I am getting a little bit of hot juice on my tongue, Could this be due to not using enough cotton?

what watts are you running it at and have you tried altering the watts then testing if the flavour is still muted?
stick a pic of the build up if you can mate it will help people judge what might be wrong.

what watts are you running it at and have you tried altering the watts then testing if the flavour is still muted?
stick a pic of the build up if you can mate it will help people judge what might be wrong.

Thanks ned, I did change the watts from about 15 up to 30, I have since changed back to a ready made, here is a pic, I have probably made a multitude of mistakes.

Excuse the pic it was taken with my phone

IMG_20150806_222530771.jpg

where the cotton goes through the coil is there a gap between the two of them?. as in is the cotton touching the coil at the top?. the pic looks like theres a gap is all

where the cotton goes through the coil is there a gap between the two of them?. as in is the cotton touching the coil at the top?. the pic looks like theres a gap is all

On inspection it looks like the cotton is touching the coil if that is what you mean

You want a very slight resistance when pulling the cotton through the coil, i find it works everytime for me

You want a very slight resistance when pulling the cotton through the coil, i find it works everytime for me

Thanks Joe, so looking at the pic, with 28, i need 5/6 wraps at 1mm, for 0.3?

Back
Top Bottom