What's new

Orchid v4 Progress and Questions

wraith

Achiever
I got an Tobeco Orchid v4 clone as my first RTA a couple of days ago and have been loving it.
Using it on the Smok Fury-S with Efest purple 18650 30A* I originally got to go with my Atlantis.

Watched a lot of coil-building videos and my first few builds have been good and getting better..

1. Dual plain microcoil .4mm kanthal, 8 wraps around 3mm @ 0.62ohm (target was 0.6)
2. Dual twisted microcoil .3mm kanthal, 9 wraps around 3mm @ 5.2ohm (target was 0.5)
3. Dual plain microcoil .4mm kanthal 9 wraps around 2mm @ 4.8ohm (target was 0.5)

Tried .3/.4mm staged heating coils but they didn't fire right, think I need thinner kanthal (or event thinner nichrome) for the leaders.

All done with pretty loose cotton wicks fluffed up with a tiny bit into the top 1mm of the juice channel.

I'm using Ruthless "Ez Duz It" and "Swamp Thang" (85%vg), Penguin "Adelie" (70%vg) and Digby's "DMG80" (80%) vg, all very tasty and very cloudy.

It's now performing better than my Atlantis (which was the original goal).

Buuut.. noob questions..

1. Does anyone have any tips, hints or favoured builds for getting the most flavour/clouds/both from this? I don't want to go much below .5 ohm until I'm 110% sure I know what I'm doing, I've been using steam-engine.org but am still 0.02ohm out on my builds. Would be happy building quite complex and fiddly coils and have all the tools.

2. After a few full lung hits (say 14 seconds firing) in quick succession the base of the tank (the metal sleeve between the polycarbonate tank and deck) gets quite warm. The mod is cool and so is the poly tank and top sleeve. I've read that this is perfectly normal for Kayfuns but just wanted some reassurance that I'm not going to melt something. Depending on battery state I'm doing between 20w and 37w.

2..and-a-bit. I assume that because my favourite stainless wide-bore drip-tip gets a little warm is why my Orchid clone was supplied with a Delrin insulated one?

* I know, really only rated for 20A continuous drain.

Last edited:
I got an Tobeco Orchid v4 clone as my first RTA a couple of days ago and have been loving it.
Using it on the Smok Fury-S with Efest purple 18650 30A* I originally got to go with my Atlantis.

Watched a lot of coil-building videos and my first few builds have been good and getting better..

1. Dual plain microcoil .4mm kanthal, 8 wraps around 3mm @ 0.62ohm (target was 0.6)
2. Dual twisted microcoil .3mm kanthal, 9 wraps around 3mm @ 5.2ohm (target was 0.5)
3. Dual plain microcoil .4mm kanthal 9 wraps around 2mm @ 4.8ohm (target was 0.5)

Tried .3/.4mm staged heating coils but they didn't fire right, think I need thinner kanthal (or event thinner nichrome) for the leaders.

All done with pretty loose cotton wicks fluffed up with a tiny bit into the top 1mm of the juice channel.

I'm using Ruthless "Ez Duz It" and "Swamp Thang" (85%vg), Penguin "Adelie" (70%vg) and Digby's "DMG80" (80%) vg, all very tasty and very cloudy.

It's now performing better than my Atlantis (which was the original goal).

Buuut.. noob questions..

1. Does anyone have any tips, hints or favoured builds for getting the most flavour/clouds/both from this? I don't want to go much below .5 ohm until I'm 110% sure I know what I'm doing, I've been using steam-engine.org but am still 0.02ohm out on my builds. Would be happy building quite complex and fiddly coils and have all the tools.

2. After a few full lung hits (say 14 seconds firing) in quick succession the base of the tank (the metal sleeve between the polycarbonate tank and deck) gets quite warm. The mod is cool and so is the poly tank and top sleeve. I've read that this is perfectly normal for Kayfuns but just wanted some reassurance that I'm not going to melt something. Depending on battery state I'm doing between 20w and 37w.

2..and-a-bit. I assume that because my favourite stainless wide-bore drip-tip gets a little warm is why my Orchid clone was supplied with a Delrin insulated one?

* I know, really only rated for 20A continuous drain.

1. Airflow, tighter draw means more flavour, an orchid, try 0.8ohms for a bit more flavour

2. Your coil is heating and hot vapour is being produced, this is completely normal

2. You're absolutely right, stainless steel as you obviously know carries Heat, whereas Delrin does not so much

Sent from my iPhone using Planet of the Vapes

Thanks, will give a higher ohm build a go for more flavour.

Playing with different wicking styles just now.

Noticed when cleaning it just now that if I leave the bottom metal part of the tank on the top-cap fits on it with a little clearance above the deck and coils ( I'm using the grub screws) could this be used like this as a poor-man's dripper?

Thanks, will give a higher ohm build a go for more flavour.

Playing with different wicking styles just now.

Noticed when cleaning it just now that if I leave the bottom metal part of the tank on the top-cap fits on it with a little clearance above the deck and coils ( I'm using the grub screws) could this be used like this as a poor-man's dripper?

No it couldn't, what makes a dripper a dripper is essentially the airflow directly hitting the coil rather than having any bends etc, it's a tank and always will be :p

No it couldn't, what makes a dripper a dripper is essentially the airflow directly hitting the coil rather than having any bends etc, it's a tank and always will be :p

Ah! Everything makes more sense now. Thanks.

This isn’t true.

A dripper isn’t defined a dripper by the way the airflow hits the coils.
By your definition, all Genesis atomizers are drippers? Airflow goes straight to coils without bendy pipes.

An RDA (Rebuildable DRIPPING Atomizer) relies on the user manually dripping juice onto the coil regularly.
An RTA (Rebuildable TANK Atomizer) relies on a tank to be filled with eliquid which will feed the coil.

Back
Top Bottom