What's new

Recoiling: Too Much Choice

Fleabag

Achiever
I'm sure the recoilers are sick of answering this question, but where does one start on choosing recoiling materials.

On POTV Marketplace alone, there's:
Kanthal - .15, .17, .20, .23, .25, .27, .28, .30
Nichrome - .15, .17, .20
Niobium - .20, .25

Fibreglass wick - 1mm, 2mm
Silica - 1mm, 1.5mm, 1.6mm, 2mm, 3.5mm

Is it worth getting a small selection of the above to try? (which obviously pushes the price up, especially if it turns out I never use some of it after first experiments)
Or is there a standard wick & wire recommended that I can't go wrong with?

I use 2mm silica, .2 Kanthal and the one you didnt mention 400 SS mesh in everything, works for me so not strayed since it was recommended

I use 2mm silica, .2 Kanthal and the one you didnt mention 400 SS mesh in everything, works for me so not strayed since it was recommended

Thats what I use .2 Kanthal...easiest imo to anneal and roll onto the wicks. Stealthvapes marine grade mesh on the Marketplace top notch. Bought 1 sheet and still have 80% of it 5-6 months on. the wicks last for ages.

I didn't even go as far as mesh, because I've no idea how it's used

You need the right atty to use it M8, but when you get it right its a revelation took me ages I will admit but with help (from here) its great,look at a few vids on youtube,I find making the coil on a drill shank and fitting then inserting the wick works for me

Four wraps of .2 Kanthal A1 on 2mm silica will give you about 1.6ohm
stealthvape do a card with 3 different sizes of A1 on (0.20 0.25 0.30)

I use 3mm silica in a dripper or doubled up 2mm.

When you're happy with wire give ribbon a try :)

I know what you mean but its all part of the learning curve. Ive used .2 Kanthol, 4 wraps on ss rope wick for a few weeks on aga t2 and rsst, but today im liking a .25, 5 wrap on a ss rope. Pays to have a bit of choice in my noob opinion anyway, have a play with different combos, live n learn. Good luck anyway, at least you know you've got the apes to call upon for help.

Thanks for the advice. I'm inclined towards getting a mixed card of A1 Kanthal to start with, then at least I don't have to wait again to find out if another guage suits better.

Now for the wick. Though mesh sounds interesting, I think I should delay that until I've tried what seem to be the more traditional methods. Stealthvapes do EKowool and Silica. I've also heard good reports on cotton wool.

Should I buy the Ekowool and silica and have a play around, or is one better for me to try first?

I do have some time to plan this, as I won't be trying it out until I have the itaste to check resistance, which only went on order from China last niight

Back
Top Bottom