What's new

Temperature offset - Ni200 and NiFe30

Yes, that primarily and because I didn't think it necessary or even worthwhile dry burning spaced coils as a secondary issue. I dry burned that NiFe 30 resistherm and the vape nearly killed me but that was undoubtedly user error.
How do you define dry burning? I'm confused by this comment that you would vape on a dry burning wire. :S

How do you define dry burning? I'm confused by this comment that you would vape on a dry burning wire. :S
Ha, sorry. Poorly written. I dry burned the resistherm and when I subsequently vaped on it, it was truly awful but I probably just overdid it.
I don't heat any TC wires at all until they are fully wicked and juiced up, to be clear. No problems at all with that method except for that one time when I underwicked it.

I'm a little confused, as usual. I thought it wasn't necessary to dry burn spaced coils whether they be kanthal or TC coils. I never do with either for that reason and just because I'm not comfortable with it.
Same here. I can't think of any reason why to dry burn spaced NiFe coils. Never had to with any of my builds. Also, I read on stealthvapes website that they don't recommend it. I did do it once just to check one of my 1st builds. Just pulsed them at low wattage and my coils were fine, but wasn't comfortable to use them as they had turned black, so just binned them.

I have never pulsed before on temp builds and not sure now if I should be I'm also confused.com. Although this morning I did pulse and strum in power mode as thought that was what scrumpox had meant and I can tell a difference, I can use a hotter temp than I normally do and it seems all round a better vape.(weather was right to do or not)

I have never pulsed before on temp builds and not sure now if I should be I'm also confused.com. Although this morning I did pulse and strum in power mode as thought that was what scrumpox had meant and I can tell a difference, I can use a hotter temp than I normally do and it seems all round a better vape.(weather was right to do or not)

My understanding of strumming is that it produces tiny TINY spacing in microcoils that helps to even out hotspots. If that is the case, and it may be bullshit, I can't see what strumming does for spaced coils.
Each to their own though. If you prefer the vape after dry heating and feel it is safe then that's the way to go. I'm pretty sure masterbrain @danb told me niffy was safe to dry burn, I just prefer not to and haven't had any problems so don't feel the need.

I think I may have had slight hotspots even with spaced as the coils defo heated better after a couple pulses, now weather it's safe that's what I don't know. I've always been under the impression of not dry burning but this morning when I tried, a couple wraps didn't black evenly but did so after a strum/dry burn. Interesting but the build I did this morning has been flawless all day. I've also gotta put thumbs up for the rx200, been killing it last night and all day and still over half battery life left.

My understanding of strumming is that it produces tiny TINY spacing in microcoils that helps to even out hotspots. If that is the case, and it may be bullshit, I can't see what strumming does for spaced coils.
Each to their own though. If you prefer the vape after dry heating and feel it is safe then that's the way to go. I'm pretty sure masterbrain @danb told me niffy was safe to dry burn, I just prefer not to and haven't had any problems so don't feel the need.

Numpty, what could cause hot legs (DON'T SAY THICK TROUSERS!)

I noticed the legs of my coils getting hot at 470+ which makes for an unpleasant vape

Numpty, what could cause hot legs (DON'T SAY THICK TROUSERS!)

I noticed the legs of my coils getting hot at 470+ which makes for an unpleasant vape
Legs too long or not covered by cotton are the two main culprits I have found. All parts of the coil need juice in contact with them. Legs touching the first wrap, that'll do it also.

Oh, I didn't realise my legs from the coil needed to be covered in cotton too !?

What do you mean legs touching the first wrap?

I'm pretty sure masterbrain @danb told me niffy was safe to dry burn,

I don't know if it's safe or not, but I really doubt a quick pulse at 10W is going to do any harm. I have done it before with NiFe30 (stealthvape and Resistherm), and I still very occasionally do it on dual coil builds (with NiFe48) to clean them off if I don't have time to do a full rebuild. I haven't noticed any ill effects from doing this, but I don't do it routinely.

After coiling and calibrating, I do preheat all my coils on the 300C setting to fry any residue before wicking, juicing and recalibrating. This doesn't cause glowing, just a little whiff of smoke - probably skin oils from my hands.

Back
Top Bottom