What's new

The great cotton wool balls debate

Pj71

Initiate
Have been vaping a long time now and every now and then I get the urge to use cotton wool balls as an experiment in taste, I'm an out and out flavour chaser, always have been, anyways I digress.have over time used every cotton wool ball going as a wick, organic, non-organic, bleached, unbleached, pure etc etc, none have performed exceptionally.... Until now, wife picked me up some balls from a company called cotton flower in Asda, 200 balls for just under £2, these actually work amazingly well and the flavour is incredible after the initial 5 or 6 burns, wicks amazingly well and very fast, just thought I'd put this out there, this is in no way a cost thing for me, I have rakes and rakes of firebolt, muji and CBP, enough to get me through the rest of this year anyways, but these balls are definitely worth a consideration for those of us who are thrifty and love a bargain or a way to make their vaping cheaper, easy to use and wick with aswell, none of this falling apart or tearing malarkey, anyway my work here is done and hopefully it'll help a few fellow apes out

I use Muji now but when I first discovered that cotton was an alternative to silica wick I did use my wives cotton wool balls she had in a bag for removing make-up and I didn't have any problems with them.
I've also tried Rayon, which was okay but I'm happy with the Muji it's cheap and comes in convenient sheets but if I ran out; back to the balls.

I always thought that there was a safety issue with cotton balls. Something to do with the chemical treatment.. especially the bleaching process - leaving residual chems. I might be wrong and it may just be sales talk from the "vaping cotton" suppliers.. but I've never used the botton from the bathroom. If I remember correctly the advice when I started vaping (and this was before cotton bacon etc) - was to boil the balls first and then dry them. I did try this and threw it straight in the bin.

Bought a bag of "koh-gen-do" (or something like that) cotton after that... it was the most recommended cotton at the time.. and it's still a decent wick. :-)

I have heard this about cotton balls aswell BUT back at the start of the vaping revolution all we had was bog standard cotton, over the years I've vaped on many types of cotton and have suffered no ill effects at all (I'm not saying there isn't any) including many types of cotton balls, I've also never picked up on any bleach taste but again that's not to say its not there I'm only going off personal experience

I use cotton wool balls from Boots, unbleached, about £1.80 for a bag of 200 balls and have done for 18 months or so now.
Wicks well no break in time, I don't find it any worse than CBP or any of the other vaping cotton brands and it is better than some, the cost for me is the thing, and I do have branded cotton, Firebolt, CBP and Cotton Candy why spend a fortune on branded vaping cotton if it is not any better? The only exception for me is mesh coils and I buy Wotofo cotton for my mesh as it performs the best. Just my opinion and others will have a different one. :2thumbsup:

Gotta say the balls I'm currently using are excellent, after the initial burns, zero strange taste, wick very very well and taste of the juice is through the roof, may well stick with the balls for a while

Back
Top Bottom