What's new

The truth about e-cigs: How healthy are they?

K

KulrMeStoopid

http://www.abcnews4.com/story/19988309/the-truth-about-e-cigs-are-they-healthy-or-not

Click the link to watch an excellent video!

By Valencia Wicker
[email protected]
LADSON, S.C. (WCIV) – Ron Sena smoked a pack-a-day for 40 years. His addiction to nicotine followed him everywhere he went – even in the Intensive Care Unit. But it wasn't until he was introduced to electronic cigarettes that he was able to get rid of his tobacco habit.
"September 23rd, 2010 was basically the day I switched over," he said.

After the patch failed, Ron decided to try "vaping". In no time, Ron became a believer and started his own company called Carolina Vapor.
"I've got a waffle flavor, dewberry, cotton candy, root beer, cinnamon red hot, Carolina waffle, American cherry."
As Ron began to feel better, he recruited other smokers to try the alternative.
"For the most part, a lot of these guys will call me back a week later, ‘it's great', ‘I love this thing', ‘I haven't had a cigarette since last week' or ‘I'm down to maybe two cigarettes a day versus two or three packs a day," said Ron.
Electronic cigarettes release water vapor and produce no second hand smoke. However, they are not FDA approved and there is very little research to show how healthy they are.
"The base is propylene glycol and vegetable glycerin. Those are the two main liquids," Ron said.
Dr. Michael Spandorfer is a pulmonary physician with Roper St. Francis Medical Systems.
"Those chemicals are relatively inert. They are a slightly fatty type of material which once inhaled can induce some lung disease," said Dr. Spandorfer.
Still, Dr. Spandorfer says there are far less chemicals in e-cigs than there are in tobacco cigarettes.
"There are more than a thousand other chemicals in a tobacco cigarette than one would find in an electronic cigarette."
While there are fewer unknown chemicals, electronic cigarettes still contain nicotine.
"It is a drug and they do have side effects," said Dr. Spandorfer.
Nonetheless, smokers who have switched to vapor cigs say they feel healthier.
"You wake up in the morning and you can breathe. Sinus trouble is a whole lot less. The cigarette cough goes away," said Chris Bellew, a pack and a half-a-day smoker for 41 years.
"Food tastes better. I can keep up with my four grandkids that are down here," said Louis Bucci, a 40-year smoker.
"I can breathe better when I'm walking down the steps. It's just all around a good thing," said Samantha Barfield, a young mother of one.
While there is no sure evidence, the folks who use vapor cigs believe they are a healthier option.
"I've gone to multiple websites and every single one of them will sit there and say, ‘we can not say that this is a healthier alternative for you.' But, my own personal experience is, yes, it is a healthier alternative," said Michelle Ponoski, a 32-year smoker.
Dr. Spandorfer says e-cigs should only be used as a way to help a person quit smoking. He says they should not be a permanent lifestyle.
"If they've made the change from active tobacco smoking, now to these electronic cigarettes, then they probably are ready whether they believe it or not," Dr. Spandorfer said.

Last edited:
**Dr. Spandorfer says e-cigs should only be used as a way to help a person quit smoking. He says they should not be a permanent lifestyle.
"If they've made the change from active tobacco smoking, now to these electronic cigarettes, then they probably are ready whether they believe it or not," Dr. Spandorfer said. **

Maybe ready to give up on the nicotine, but he hasn't done his homework, as there are 0 nics out there.

Saying that,who wants to give up on the nice flavours?
I don't lol, I love the flavour, the smoke rolling around in my mouth, having something to do with my hands.
Not smoking, being healthier, but loving the vape. Sorry why not have the best of both :P

OOO I'm a VAPOHOLIC lol

I have to agree, I've never been able to give up smoking, tried going cold turkey & failed, tried gum & failed, tried patches & failed, tried inhalator & failed.

Tried vaping & succeeded, ok its only been 1 week, I stopped smoking last Monday at 11 am, but I havent even wnated a fag... well not quite true, the only time I've actually craved for a fag is just after I've eaten, but a few tokes on a tobacco flavoured vape & that craving is gone. Job done.

I have to agree, I've never been able to give up smoking, tried going cold turkey & failed, tried gum & failed, tried patches & failed, tried inhalator & failed.

Tried vaping & succeeded, ok its only been 1 week, I stopped smoking last Monday at 11 am, but I havent even wnated a fag... well not quite true, the only time I've actually craved for a fag is just after I've eaten, but a few tokes on a tobacco flavoured vape & that craving is gone. Job done.

I was the same, 20 years I smoked for(I was a very naughty 8 year old..) tried all the NRT going, even tried them in combination, patches+inhalator, patches+inhalator+spray.. the list is very long. Longets I ever lasted was 2 weeks then back to the fags. I got my first ecig, a cheapy nasty disposable from China, used it for a day, threw it in the bin and ordered a ego-t kit.

Once that arrived I had no interest in the fags any more, my ecig managed the cravings nicely, and what was supposed to be a quit smoking tool has become a very gratifying hobby. I'm still slowly lowering my nic content, but I will most likely still be vapeing years from now on 0-nic juices, just for the yummy tastes and the meditative quality I get from rolling the vapor around in my throat/mouth.

Ya, it may be unhealthy long term, it very well might lead to health problems, but those are just -MAYBES- compared to the fags that were -DEFINATELY- screwing with my health. Since I made the change my asthma has improved to where I am barely classed as asthmatic now, while I smoked I had to use 3 different inhalers 4-5 times a day so I could breathe! So I'm very happy with a maybe :)

Back
Top Bottom