What's new

Tips for new vapers

Hello,

I've been trying to vape more for about three years but I think I've just solved the mystery.
Trying all sorts of devices, from a Gamucci onwards, I've found that vaping makes me cough.
Today, tried, for the first time, a bottle of Vape88 NIC HIT tobacco 50/50 Nic Salt liquid.

This is 2.0% or 20mg/ml strength and it isn't making me bark like a seal. The snag is, it tastes
bloody awful, a bit like burnt hazelnuts steeped in old grass juice.

So, before I order some tastier juice, I'm after advice on what strength to buy.
I smoke 20 Carlton Bright Superkings per day and during my tests, these weren't
cutting it...

Menthol Heets in my IQOS machine.
6mg non nic salt liquids.
10mg ditto.

I'm wondering whether to start weak and go up or just take pot luck.

Any advice will be gratedully welcomed. Thanks.
Are you vaping MTL? I was on 20-30 Mayfair Superkings Original Blue per day and due to that high dependency on nicotine I thought the best way to start would be MTL with 20mg salts. How wrong I was.

Fruit flavours absolutely destroy my throat and lungs, savoury flavours have a weird aftertaste and tobacco flavours tasted a bit oily. The one flavour I can tolerate AND actually enjoy immensely due to the cool hit is menthol. Menthol also has the effect of masking the potentially harsh throat hits from high nicotine levels and high PG liquids which makes it a great starter juice. Too much mint can spoil the menthol though and irritate me. All personal preferences of course.

Now the reason I mentioned if you vape MTL is that was how I started and what I was lead to believe would be the best smoking substitute. Couldn't have been further from the truth for me from the very moment I started vaping. You can DTL absolutely and perfectly fine with high resistance coils, 50:50 liquids and lower wattages. I have an Oxva Xlim v2 which has 0.6, 0.8 and 1.2 ohm coils. The wattage is adjustable in 0.5W increments from 5W to a maximum of 25W with the 0.6 ohm pod, 18W with the 0.8 and 13W with the 1.2. I'm using a 1.2 pod running between 5W and 8W and I take massive bong hits DTL to pretty much fill my entire lungs up. It's so satisfying with a mild menthol liquid to exhale all that cool vape.

Quick tip for DTL vaping on an MTL setup. They tend to have a slow draw speed so I leave a mouth gap when inhaling so I can draw extra air in and inhale at a quicker pace. It allows me to get a big and flavourful draw but dispersed around my lungs instead of being too concentrated. Another tip is for the big drags like I take, 10mg salts is actually more than enough and I find the whole vaping experience much better than using 20mg. Bear in mind that a 2ml pod fill with 20mg salts is broadly equivalent to 20 ciggies worth of nicotine and I was initially getting through 4-5ml of liquid a day. No wonder my throat was wrecked in the morning from all that nic salt! I'm using about 4ml now but at 10mg so about 20 cigs worth of nicotine and it's leaving me completely satisfied.

I have spent almost £100 in the last 3 weeks on different resistance pods, flavours, strengths etc. just to find the right setup for me. What was right for me is almost what I actually started out with funnily enough! At least I've still saved nearly £200 on smokes so far by doing this and next month I doubt I'll spend much more than £15 to vape for the entire month. That's the biggest incentive for me to continue vaping.

Couple of menthol liquids I recommend. There's ONE ELiquids Ice Menthol which is dirt cheap but it's a no nonsense, simple medium menthol. Another that I just tried today that I like is NVee Premium 12mg salt menthol which is a mild menthol with a small hint of mint. Don't overdo it on the flavours to start out with, keep it simple and get your nicotine satisfaction and preferred vaping technique resolved first.

And finally do try direct to lung vaping, even with a vape designed for mouth to lung. In the end it's all about experimenting until you find that magic combination. Good luck on your journey to quitting.

Back
Top Bottom