What's new

Troubleshooting Wicking of Ares 2 RTA MTL

Aneesh Kalita

Initiate
Hello guys
I am new to building RTAs and bought a Innokin Ares 2 MTL to try out for myself. I followed the tutorial building video on their website and managed to build one. I used a Kanthall 1 ohm wire and Japanese organic cotton. As the cotton was too thick, I spread it out and rolled it into a wick. But I find there's a kind of resistance to the airflow and I have to puff it more than once to get the vape going. Moreover, I have to puff it a bit harder and longer than the usual manufactured coils like voopoo or aspire and there is a popping sound at first when I vape. Eventhough I want to experience a smooth vape session like the manufactured coils, I fail to do so. Can you help me out?

I`m not familiar with your atty but the popping could be caused by too much wick, you may be surprised at how little you need, just enough to touch all of the inner diameter of your coil, wicking works by capillarity so as the juice is evaporated at the coil more juice will flow to replace it, as long as the wick is touching the coil. It can also happen if you have a space between the coils of a micro coil

Obviously open the air inlet if you can, but one cause of a tight draw can be if you place the coil too close to the air inlet it can restrict the air flow and can even cause dry hits or burned juice, I find about 2mm to be optimum on my single coil atties.

I`m not familiar with your atty but the popping could be caused by too much wick, you may be surprised at how little you need, just enough to touch all of the inner diameter of your coil, wicking works by capillarity so as the juice is evaporated at the coil more juice will flow to replace it, as long as the wick is touching the coil. It can also happen if you have a space between the coils of a micro coil

Obviously open the air inlet if you can, but one cause of a tight draw can be if you place the coil too close to the air inlet it can restrict the air flow and can even cause dry hits or burned juice, I find about 2mm to be optimum on my single coil atties.
Yes, actually my coils are small. They are made of 26 gauge and the tank is 2ml. So there is a difficulty in fitting the coils. I will try to use less cotton next time. Thanks

Popping and crackling is quite normal for an RTA. The Ares 2 is no more excessive than any other. It's just something you have to get used to.

Wicking these is quite forgiving. I use a 3mm ID coil in mine and plenty of cotton with no problems.

Make sure you have the gold under-coil air-flow adjuster set to the open slit position and not the closed pin-hole one if you need more air.

Best wishes.

Back
Top Bottom