What's new

Unwrapping Efests, Confused

dragzi

Hello all, First post :) Sorry for wall of text. tldr at the bottom, below pics.

So ive been vaping for about 2 years now, started on your standard ego w basic carto, moved up to a vamo v2 w kanger aerotank using efest red batteries. Shortly after that moved up to using your standard 18650 clones with a variaty of rta clones. Then moved up to rda's, then up to parallel box clones for <0.2ohm. Now I have now moved up to using a snow wolf 200w after trying one in a local vape shop. Claptons have never been better!

In my entire time vaping, I have always used efest batteries, with the exception of the snow wolf. I purchased them at the recommendation of a friend and just assumed that because they work, and because they are on sale in the UK, that there would be some kind of safety regulation. I am currently rotating between 2 paired sets of vtc5s that I am 99% sure are authentic (correct markings, good quality, has the signiture double bump at the rim of the battery).

At my local vape store, I was informed that the light purple efest 2500mah are actually vtc4's re-wrapped. This got me thinking as I had a load of them die on me and refuse to charge, despite never taking them below about 3.5v. I had a look and they were obdviously not vtc4s. For one thing they had 4 posts on the positive instead of 3.

I ended up throwing out all my 2500mah light purple efest batteries a few days ago. I had 5 left of varying variatys.

Saw a post online about efest batteries being fakely labeled, and decided that they must be fake efest batteries being tested instead of the real efest products.. Had 5 sitting on my desk, so decided to unwrap them and look for serial no's n such. Photos of unwrapping show a few issues.

For one thing, no serial numbers of any sort over the batteries. Secondly 2 batteries have weird spots that look like they have been shorting.

IMG_20160110_192412.jpg

left is a 30A 200mah, middle 3 are 35A 2800mah, right is obvious. All pics will have them in the same order.
IMG_20160110_192426.jpg

IMG_20160110_193556.jpg
IMG_20160110_193714.jpg

This is the centre battery. 2 Dark spots and alot of what looks like machine marks on the left hand side of the pic.
IMG_20160110_193807.jpg
IMG_20160110_193947.jpg

Last 2 pics are the far right battery. Black spots on the inside corospond with the corrosion all over the battery. Also the 2 dents were not present on the outer packaging, and I NEVER drop batterys.

In my time using efests, I have had 3 cases of ecigs jamming on until ridicuously hot. 1 with a tube mod clone that decided its safety lock didnt want to lock, 1 with a side firing tube clone that decided its lock didnt want to function correctly, and 1 with a dual 18650 box mod clone thats spring to keep the button connection closed failed. I have always recycled the batterys after one of those events and used a new pair.

Am I lucky that these didnt explode? I feel like an absolute idiot using these for so long. I cant seem to work out where efest sourced these from, but from now on im only getting vtc5s, or anything you guys can recommend :)

Tldr;
Always used efest, heard they were rewrapping, unwrapped mine, found weird marks but no serial no, am I more of an idiot than I already think I am? Should my face still be intact?

Cheers guys.

Attachments

• IMG_20160110_193957.jpg
    IMG_20160110_193957.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 68
Apparently they are rewrapped Sony VT5 or LG HE2. I've got a couple set aside for recycling. Both about a year old and bought from the same trusted vendor at the same rime. Unwrapped them and they look identical but only one has serial numbers. The one that doesn't has a tiny dent but nothing serious.

I wonder if they get the stock that, while safe, does not make manufacturer's quality control (if missing serials or minor cosmetic blemishes are a fail).

Or maybe they rewrap more cheaply made batteries to make up stock shortfalls? Or maybe fakes.

There have been reports of the new wrap style (middle 3 in your pic) of venting at low amps. I have a couple same as the one on the far right, they seem OK but said to be only 20A and are a LG HE2 rewrap?

Just got 8 x green samsung 25rs from gearbest (£20), not tested or unwrapped yet but look legit and havent seen any complaints about them on here or elsewhere. Umm vtc5s were they ever legit? were they ever made by Sony? I dunno but I havent got any.

Torchy is the safest option and does discounts for UKV members?

Consider also LG HE2, HE4, HG2.

batterybro.com

http://www.lygte-info.dk/info/indexBatteriesAndChargers UK.html

Back
Top Bottom