What's new

Weird parcels part 2

the amazon phone call scam has gone full pelt in last few days. 3 times yesterday and twice today. your account will be deducted £79 for prime membership unless you press 1 to cancel. this usually means when you press 1 your phone bill will be deducted by anything upto £300 and you wont know about it until your next bill arrives.
just hang up.
Been getting the same calls myself for the last few weeks glad i never pressed 1 to cancel i just hang up .

But what actually happens is that pressing 1 connects you to a premium rate number you then start paying for.

I'm going to set up a premium rate number, fill in every dodgy online form I can find with the number then wait for the scammers to call.
Oh you want Mr.Prince hes in the garden ill just go and get him (after ive had a cup of tea and read POTV for half hour) be right back.

If they have the ability to deduct money from you somehow then no amount of pressing 1 or not pressing 1 is going to make any difference.
Do you have anymore info on this?
let me try and explain how i understood it. maybe i didnt explain it correctly, soz.
this form of scam has been going on for a while and it was a report i read sometime last year.
there are various like the links posted above which direct you to a suposed call centre where they try and intice money.

the one i read about is the same as mentioned the premium rate scam. you click 1 and you are directed to a recording and the initial connection costs is £100 or whatever they set it too and then £50 every minute after that if your stupid enough to stay on the line that long. this money shows up as a premium phone number on your bill so you know nothing about it until you get your monthly or quaterly phone bill.
anyway im not going to click 1 to check so ill never know which scam it is.

Amazon will never ring regarding your account & the only way for them to call you is if you initiate a callback via chat options. In 13 yrs of being an Amazon customer I have never had a call from them
There's also emails stating from Amazon & there's an issue with your last payment & to click a link. Don't as again they do not contact you, it will appear on your account when you log in. Both are phishing scams using phone number databases & dialing hundreds of numbers until they hit lucky.
Same email scam from Virgin, Sky & BT. Bit of a giveaway if your not a customer.

Haha. Didn't think anyone had actually done it.
I remember it being on the news at the time, and was very disappointed not just anyone can do it. Apparently it has to be a company number and not a private one. So I got a call barrer instead.:18:

I remember it being on the news at the time, and was very disappointed not just anyone can do it. Apparently it has to be a company number and not a private one. So I got a call barrer instead.:18:
call barrer or bt call protect doesnt help much as they always used to call from a different number each time and the last two weeks number witheld so you cant block them.

call barrer or bt call protect doesnt help much as they always used to call from a different number each time and the last two weeks number witheld so you cant block them.

Best just to get caller display and if you dont recognise the number dont answer it.
If it is really important they will leave a message.

Back
Top Bottom