What's new

Please write to your MP - Now!

Got a reply from my MP Julian Smith (Skipton & Ripon). Here it is.

Dear Mr ,

Thank you for contacting me about the regulation of e-cigarettes. I was pleased to hear about your success in cutting down smoking. (I had mentioned thanks to vaping I hadn't smoked and reduced my nicotine to the 3mg variety)

The Government recognises that e-cigarettes help smokers to quit and the evidence indicates that they are considerably less harmfull to health than cigarettes. At the same time, it is essential that we do not encourage smoking and continue to protect children from the effects of nicotine. (I had pointed out the lack of evidence that vaping acted as a gateway to smoking and that most vaping providers actively enforced restrictions on sales to under 18's prior to any requirement to do so.)

Ministers have confirmed that there are no plans to mandate European Union rules on taxing e-ciggarettes and no proposals have been submitted. As the EU Commission clarified last week, all that has happened is the Commission has been asked to analyse the issue of e-cigarettes further as wider part of the Tobacco Duties Directive. Any proposal would need the unanimous support of all 28 EU governments to be approved.

I hope you find this information helpful and thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Yours Sincerely,

Julian Smith.

Unsure why he brought up Tobacco Duties Directive, or taxation as I had explicitly written regard the TPD and it's draconian effects upon the vaping community.

My response email...

Dear Julian Smith,

I responding to your prompt and welcome response to my email regarding the TPD, you responded referring to the TDD and taxation of vaping products (This may well be my fault, I may have referenced the TDD in error, if so apologies). Taxation is an issue I am not currently overtly concerned about, given the dangerous consequences stemming from the TPD. Legislation that seems designed to hinder vaping companies, not affiliated with the tobacco industry (and that has effectively killed the vaping industry in some countries). The TPD regulations place an onerous burden upon vaping companies with costs running into the ten's of thousands for EACH variant of e-liquid. So if they produce an e-liquid at multiple strengths, as most do, they have to have each strength of e-liquid tested, as well as each 'flavour' variant! Now I am not against a robust and diligent set of regulations, because there have been issues with e-liquids and diacetyl for example. But without the need for regulatory intervention this issue has been addressed. As companies using diacetyl, fell foul of aware vapers and were forced to address the issue.

An issue that you raised and others do often, is the concern of children vaping. This certainly is a concern, but I have to stress that nigh on all vaping suppliers have operated a strict policy of denying sales to those under 18. Prior to any hint of regulatory intervention. Also that despite regulations, children still readily access tobacco products and become smokers (note I do draw a distinction between smoking products and vaping products). What the TPD stands to create, is a black market in vaping supplies. This is an issue that must concern us all, as we well know that black market operators are less concerned about safety, their concern is purely profit. Further all current evidence is that there little to no, take up in vaping as a gateway to smoking.

I enclose a link to the change.org petition regarding TPD, supporting Lord Callanan's Prayer motion to block TPD regulations on vaping. Because it contains some useful information, you may wish to verify and use yourself. I note it contains a form letter to Health Minister Jane Ellison, I would not suggest you use that. But if my position does move you, it does contain some useful details to formulate a letter that you could, if you so wished, send.

Yours sincerely,

David Funnell

http://tinyurl.com/h9gg3eo

Last edited:
just got a response from "my" MP, distinct deja vu with what he replied last time, with added guff

Thank you for contacting me recently regarding the revised EU Tobacco Products Directive, and specifically how this will affect electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes).

I appreciate e-cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular and that they are an aide that can help many smokers who are trying to quit. However, I believe it is important there are regulations in place to ensure these products meet quality and safety standards.

I believe e-cigarettes should be regulated. In principle, I support the Government's decision to allow e-cigarettes to be prescribed on the NHS as this will allow people who cannot afford the refills to purchase them and will help those on low incomes to quit smoking more easily.

In addition I believe it is important to ensure that people who have not already begun smoking do not view electronic cigarettes as a "safe" form of smoking and take this up directly. The evidence in the UK suggests this form of use is low however evidence from the USA suggests that this is a possibility if companies begin to market these products in an undesirable way.

The revised Tobacco Products Directive concerns the regulation of e-cigarettes and herbal products and includes changes to the sizes of e-liquid bottles available and places restrictions on how much nicotine they can contain. Alongside its provisions on e-cigarettes, the regulations include rules concerning the composition and labelling of tobacco products.

The Government believes it is essential that it does not encourage smoking and that it continues to protect children from the dangers of nicotine. The Government has therefore welcomed the rules set out in the revised EU Tobacco Products Directive. The UK Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016, which enshrines the directive in UK law, came into force on 20 May 2016.

I am aware of the recent report published by the Royal College of Physicians, which calls for the promotion of e-cigarettes as a substitute for smoking. I appreciate that e-cigarettes can help smokers quit and that there is evidence which indicates they are less harmful to health than cigarettes. Restricting the sale of e-cigarettes to over 18 year-olds is a sensible step. E-cigarettes are an aide that can help many smokers who are trying to quit, but they should not be available to children.

I also believe the Government has a duty to help protect future generations from the dangers of smoking and it is important that we carefully consider sensible steps to discourage young people from taking up smoking.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Zeichner
Member of Parliament for Cambridge

Thank you for contacting me recently regarding the revised EU Tobacco Products Directive, and specifically how this will affect electronic cigarettes (e-cigarettes).

I appreciate e-cigarettes are becoming increasingly popular and that they are an aide that can help many smokers who are trying to quit. However, I believe it is important there are regulations in place to ensure these products meet quality and safety standards.

I believe e-cigarettes should be regulated. In principle, I support the Government's decision to allow e-cigarettes to be prescribed on the NHS as this will allow people who cannot afford the refills to purchase them and will help those on low incomes to quit smoking more easily.

In addition I believe it is important to ensure that people who have not already begun smoking do not view electronic cigarettes as a "safe" form of smoking and take this up directly. The evidence in the UK suggests this form of use is low however evidence from the USA suggests that this is a possibility if companies begin to market these products in an undesirable way.

The revised Tobacco Products Directive concerns the regulation of e-cigarettes and herbal products and includes changes to the sizes of e-liquid bottles available and places restrictions on how much nicotine they can contain. Alongside its provisions on e-cigarettes, the regulations include rules concerning the composition and labelling of tobacco products.

The Government believes it is essential that it does not encourage smoking and that it continues to protect children from the dangers of nicotine. The Government has therefore welcomed the rules set out in the revised EU Tobacco Products Directive. The UK Tobacco and Related Products Regulations 2016, which enshrines the directive in UK law, came into force on 20 May 2016.

I am aware of the recent report published by the Royal College of Physicians, which calls for the promotion of e-cigarettes as a substitute for smoking. I appreciate that e-cigarettes can help smokers quit and that there is evidence which indicates they are less harmful to health than cigarettes. Restricting the sale of e-cigarettes to over 18 year-olds is a sensible step. E-cigarettes are an aide that can help many smokers who are trying to quit, but they should not be available to children.

I also believe the Government has a duty to help protect future generations from the dangers of smoking and it is important that we carefully consider sensible steps to discourage young people from taking up smoking.

Yours sincerely,

Daniel Zeichner
Member of Parliament for Cambridge

I deduced just one solitary fact from that letter.
Your MP is a brainless chunt.

I deduced just one solitary fact from that letter.
Your MP is a brainless chunt.

indeed mate, class A, five star CUNT at that, the thing nearly half of that is word for word what he sent me before, all I can say in my defence is I didn't vote for him

indeed mate, class A, five star CUNT at that, the thing nearly half of that is word for word what he sent me before, all I can say in my defence is I didn't vote for him

When he looks like the love child of Eric Pollard, Claude Greengrass, votes in for the Eu and posts pictures like this I've a tendency to agree with you.
ImageUploadedByPlanet of the Vapes Forum1464206894.978974.jpg

When he looks like the love child of Eric Pollard, Claude Greengrass, votes in for the Eu and posts pictures like this I've a tendency to agree with you. View attachment 91830

can't really like,lol or thank that, where's my cunt button when I need it, to be honest it's Cambridge there never going to want to leave the EU or anything like that, looks like a Putin spy in that pic

Wrote my letter today, within 10 mins I got this 'Automated' reply:.....................

Thank you for contacting me about the regulation of e-cigarettes.

The Government recognises that e-cigarettes help some smokers to quit and the evidence indicates that they are considerably less harmful to health than cigarettes. At the same time, it is essential that we do not encourage smoking and continue to protect children from the effects of nicotine.

The rules set out in the revised Tobacco Products Directive (TPD), published in April 2014, apply in the UK from 20 May 2016 and cover tobacco and smokeless tobacco products, herbal products and will, for the first time, regulate e-cigarettes. The Government has consulted on how to implement them.

Ministers understand that e-cigarettes are helpful to some people wishing to quit smoking, but the quality of products on the market remains highly variable. It is therefore important that proportionate regulation is introduced to ensure minimum safety requirements and that information is provided to consumers so that they can make informed choices. This is the aim of the regulatory framework set out in the TPD.

In implementing the new EU rules, the Government intends to work towards regulation that will permit a range of products, to remain on the market which are positioned as alternatives to smoking, not as products that introduce children to vaping or smoking. From May, e-cigarettes that are licenced by the Medicines and Healthcare products Regulatory Agency will still be able to be advertised, and the advertising of all other e-cigarettes will no longer permitted on television.

I hope that this letter reassures you that the new rules in the revised TPD do not aim to prevent people from using e-cigarettes, but rather to provide consumers with safer, less variable products.

Thank you again for taking the time to contact me.

Regards,

James

James Cartlidge MP

Member of Parliament, South Suffolk

To which I replied and still have heard nothing from him:...............

Thanks for taking the time to respond.

I do agree with some of your points regarding the regulation of quality products but fear that by enforcing this ruling, will push the market underground to a less safer place.
There is no evidence to suggest that children will take up vaping because its on offer to them anymore than cigarettes do and how long did it take before they cracked down on the advertising of cigarettes? Decades, would be the answer to that.
As you are clearly never going to ban cigarettes due to the amount of revenue gained in there sale, not to mention the uproar from the public, lets take 'Our Health' out of this argument. Whats left to discuss? Lets look at the points:

Your regulating the strength of nicotine available - are you also doing that to the more traditional forms of NRT? (Patches, gum....?)

You are regulating the quantities to a maximum 10ml - are you also doing this to cigarettes? I.e, restricting the amount bought at one time or only selling 12.5g or rolling tobacco instead of 12.5, 25 and 50grams?

Your stating here in this letter that you want less variation in products available? - I assume then your stopping any more brands coming to the real cigarette market and also taking some away to give real smokers less choice? I think not.

I'm sure you see my point so what is the REAL reason for tightening down so hard on vapers? I think you know as well as I do that the government are getting worried that they're going to lose a lot of money from the sale of cigarettes from tax due to people wanting a healthier alternative.
I shall save this email just for reference when the government decide to add a 'Vaping Tax' to our products just to prove a point that it all boils down to money and not health.

Please find the time to respond to this in person rather than an automated response. I'm sure you'll find it an interesting read because I'd really like to know your views on the points I've made.

Back
Top Bottom