What's new

lets talk about masks

Are any of you guys buying and using masks? Where are you getting them from? I don’t go out enough to warrant buying any, but if they change the recommendations so that we’re all supposed to wear them, I’d have to look into it. I suppose they’d turn up in supermarkets everywhere.

Last edited:
Prefer optimism to pessimism. Unfortunately people who dismiss such thoughts & ideas are the reason feck all gets done.

I was an optimist until a couple of years ago.
Now I have changed to being a pessimist, at least if you get up, and think everything is going to be shit, and it is not, you are happy.
It's called never being disappointed. :)

Are any of you guys buying and using masks? Where are you getting them from? I don’t go out enough to warrant buying any, but if they change the recommendations so that we’re all supposed to wear them, I’d have to look into it. I suppose they’d turn up in supermarkets everywhere.

My corner shop has been selling the for a week, or two.
50 pence a pop.

I'm not buying any - I'm leaving that for people who need tham and are forced to go out. I was just wearing cloth in the hope that it might protect others or at least make them feel better, when I coughed, or at least remind me an them that things are not 'normal'. I'm excitable, I forget things like boundaries very easily. :D

Aye, I am I suppose.....it's already happened in bits of the NHS, patient transport in an area in England I believe

Patient transport I think (don't know for sure) from my experiences over the last year.
They seem to be patient transfer can be outsourced by any individual NHS Trust Hospital to any competitive private company in order to complement their own service.

So a couple of different examples of this. (note, these are based on pre covid time)

I live in Central Beds, so if I go to my GP and he wants a blood test, or an x ray he ill often ask "do you want to go to Bedford, or Stevenage" as they are both equidistant from my town. Same with an emergency ambulance, f it is not vital to get someone to hospital within minutes, or they will die, the crew will often ask which hospital, or you can request which one you want to go to.

Now to the subject of outpatients.
Anyone in the surroundings of my small town who is an outpatient at Bedford Hospital can request transport to & from Bedford Hospital, you have to be able to say that you can't get there by yourself, by bus, car, or whatever. A hospital minibus is sent to pick you up, and take you back, but it could well have 12 people to pick up, and drop off in various villages on the way.

Now, you may, or may not know, but in November last year I was admitted to Bedford hospital due to a blood clot at the top of my leg, after a week it was getting much worse, swollen, infected, and I could read between the lines of the doctors talk, basically they were preparing me mentally in case it got any worse, and my leg had to be amputated. In the end I was transferred to a hospital in central London.
On release I was taken home in a car with "private ambulance" in small letters on the side.
I then had to go for scans on my leg every two weeks.
I rang the hospital patient transfer service at the London hospital, and after a few questions a pick up was arranged, took me to the hospital, I had my scan, went to the transfer office, and within an hour a car arrived to take me home.
Since then i have been transported in private cars, either by myself, or picking up someone else on the way into London, and at other times the same but in a hospital minibus.
The company, and their drivers all live on the other side of London, close by in Essex I think.
In my case I can see why they would get a private company to transport me, rather than tying up an NHS vehicle 12 seater bus just for one person, for 2 hrs each way.
I am not the furthest outlying out patient from that hospital in London, one of the drivers said they regularly have to transport people to & from Milton Keynes, and Wales.

So I can understand that arrangement, but as said already procurement off supplies is a different matter altogether.

Back
Top Bottom