What's new

Advice for Vape Beginners! (LONG POST)

HamishA

Postman
Hi all newbies!!

During my transition, I found some frequent occurrences that I had to figure out through experience to mitigate some of the persistent small issues I always ran into with a new pod system, so I thought I would write a few things that have worked for me to keep me off the stinkies!

I am a relative newbie myself, 12 months off the smokes, and mainly only use pod systems, however I feel this advice may help all newbies in general.

Oh, and If you're a newbie and you're reading this, then well done! :clapping: You're already plenty further ahead then I was! I only found POTV after about 6 months in haha! Gee I wish I found it from day 1! :p

One big issue I started with, was that as I was a complete newbie in the vaping world, I found I was heavily relying on reviews and feedback on the online stores to really steer me in the right direction, being a novice with no idea, I thought this was a good place to start! I'm not saying reviews are a bad thing, just always take them with a grain of salt! (Or a grain of Nic-Salt, sorry!) :p

On my first e-liquid order, I had zero idea and purchased around 20 e-juices, without understanding mg strengths or types of nicotine and just went off whichever had the most and best reviews! I quickly realised I absolutely hate menthol, even if it has 500 x 5 star reviews!

So I ended up with a bunch of e-liquid sitting in my draw that I was never going to use! Such a waste of money and was super disheartening! Always start small and start cheap, and build your way up. Don't go buying the biggest, best and most expensive products, as sometimes they just aren't worth it, it's all personal preference.

I stupidly did this, thinking high cost = high quality and it backfired big time! As some of my personal favourite vapes only cost around £10-£12 or thereabouts! No need for a £50 vape that now sit's in my top draw collecting dust!

My advice is to just keep experimenting with new low cost vapes and compare the pair, put them against each other and really identify what you want and like in a vape. Don't just go off peoples recommendations or one good review you watched on YT or found randomly on Google, as opinions are all subjective to a degree, and what one person considers is trash, many others may consider it an absolute treasure! (Caliburn G for me! I HATE it!)

Also, if you're having any issues with spit back or leaking from your vape, maybe look at how you're drawing on the vape. I got told a while ago, "Vape a vape, don't smoke a vape".

I found when I started, I was drawing too hard and not letting the vape do the work, and it would flood the coil a lot and it would burn quickly and I'd assume it was broken, throw it out, get frustrated and want to give up! Every vape draws differently, and therefore I've found it's better to trial and error until you find a vape that suits your specific draw, which typically works better than using your preferred draw on every single vape.

I now use a q-tip or paper towel and roll it up and dab it into the coil hole and try to soak up any flooded juice, then give it a few slow and small puffs to try and remove any build up of e-liquid somewhere that could be burning or causing a burnt taste.

I find that if I do a quick clean prior to every fill, it usually mitigates some of these issues and keeping the pod upright as much as possible. This is one thing I NEVER did! I never took care of my vapes, I had no idea that it was a good idea to implement a few small minor changes to my vaping habit and those small changes would go a very long way to maintaining an enjoyable vaping experience. I still to this day have never experienced a vape that doesn't require at least one tiny bit of extra TLC to keep it functioning the best it can! (Even though I'll never stop trying to find that holy grail of a pod system! :p)

I also never charge my device with the pod in, as it heats up and found it can make the liquid thinner and I always got a burnt taste from it when I left the pod in. This is something I only recently started doing, and I wish I did it much sooner! As the charging cords are typically very short, I would plug it in and let it hang upside down with the pod full of e-liquid in it. This caused issues that most certainly could have been avoided!

I could go on forever about all the little things I do with a vape, however it's hard to list everything, everyone's preferences are unique and when you've been an experienced vaper for a while, most things seem like 'common sense' to them, however to a complete newbie, those small 1% differences can really affect the overall vaping experience and may even be the difference between you staying on the stinkies, or actually quitting for good!

When you have so many variables, it is really hard to pin point what is causing the issue you may have, and that's where experience comes up trumps! it's just trial and error process and I promise you, even if you don't believe it now, you will eventually find your way, find what you like and it all of a sudden will seem clear as day!

The best advice I can give anyone, is to just keep it going, you're strong and you will be able to do it! It will make more sense with experience and then you'll look back after a while and laugh at all the little mistakes you made along the way! Because I sure do! :p

If you're reading this, give yourself a pat on the back! Just being a member of the POTV forum is already a huge first step and you're much further than you think you actually are, because you've made a positive first step!

I guess I will finish it with this...

All of the above may help, some of the above may help or none of the above may help at all...and that's just vaping haha! :2thumbsup:

Good luck and I am here if you need anything! :)

P.S. I would been keen to hear if anyone had one piece of advice they received when they first started that stuck with them!

EDIT: Changed title of the thread to inform people it's a long post.

Last edited:
I'm not a pod vaper, but the juice thing rings absolutely true - I tried LOADS of stuff I hated before I found the goodies. But I DID eventually find them. :D

I'm not a pod vaper, but the juice thing rings absolutely true - I tried LOADS of stuff I hated before I found the goodies. But I DID eventually find them. :D
Haha, I am the exact same! Very relatable! :)

I quickly found that literally everything I tried had mint or ice in it, and some didn't even had ice in the name, they just say 'Apple' and then its actually 'Apple with ICE'!

I have wasted so much on e-liquids haha. I finally found 2-3 I really like and just stock up on those now, and when I am feeling dangerous, I will add a new flavour to the order.

Haha, I am the exact same! Very relatable! :)

I quickly found that literally everything I tried had mint or ice in it, and some didn't even had ice in the name, they just say 'Apple' and then its actually 'Apple with ICE'!

I have wasted so much on e-liquids haha. I finally found 2-3 I really like and just stock up on those now, and when I am feeling dangerous, I will add a new flavour to the order.
I eventually discovered I only liked juices with tobacco in them, everything else just tasted too sweet to me, but it took a while. This forum worked well for me, as I'd find someone who liked the thing I liked and ask them what else they liked .......... and it built from there.

I agree with your advice - keep trying. Everybody's different, there will be something out here that will work. :2thumbsup:

I eventually discovered I only liked juices with tobacco in them, everything else just tasted too sweet to me, but it took a while. This forum worked well for me, as I'd find someone who liked the thing I liked and ask them what else they liked .......... and it built from there.

I agree with your advice - keep trying. Everybody's different, there will be something out here that will work. :2thumbsup:
Haha, we are complete opposites! I use to love the tobacco taste in an actual ciggie! Then I tried a Juul with Alpine Berry & Mango and loved it, however Juul flavour is possibly the most muted flavour of all, it's non-existent haha!

I just cannot smell tobacco anymore, whatsoever, it makes me crook. It still blows me away how drastically a persons taste and preference can change in an instant! Went from loving it to hating it in a matter of days or weeks at best.

I still prefer slightly muted flavours, as things can get too sweet for me quickly, sickly sweet! I just prefer something refreshing, without menthol!

I'm a set and forget kind of person, prefer to find a good ADV and stick with it until I'm bored in a month.

Fruit makes up 75% of my diet, so probably why I love the fruit juices! :2thumbsup:

I agree with your remarks about POTV, It has helped me so much and I have genuinely connected with some amazingly great people!

Thanks for contributing to the post! :)

Your initiation is your first coil brand, you aint doing it right until you do that ;)

I would recommend not recommending. Just because you think something is the Bee's Knee's doesn't mean it is. If recommending something you should know about it and tell whoever the good points and the bad. In the past i have bought thing recommended in reviews and it has been nothing like what i have read or heard. Always check things out before you spend your hard earned cash. It's too easy to rush in and buy something because it looks nice. I have done it a few times and regretted it.

Hi new vaper here
About 4 weeks now, only had around 10 roll ups in that time..
I've bought so many e liquids around 20 plus to find my taste flavour.
I've found I don't like over sweet blueberries dark fruits, it's so sickly to me. But like e liquids with cool menthol in the exhale..
Starting to hate the smell of cigarettes now..
26 years smoker here! It's been nearly 4 week vaping and already my smokers cough has started to go. Anyway just thought I would say hello pleased I've found this site..

Hi @Gillylilly and welcome to the planet.
well done on the 4 weeks. soon it will be 4 months.
what nicotine strength are you using so we know how to get you off those last rollies.

Back
Top Bottom