What's new

Is vaping proving to be more expensive than you expected?

Is vaping proving to be more expensive than you expected?

• Total voters

digi

Initiate
I know a lot of people start vaping to give up cigarettes. For me, it wasn't that reason. I had already not been smoking for many years, and by that stage in my life, I found it relatively easier to stop smoking compared to the difficulties I had in my twenties and early thirties. I started vaping because I missed the cigarette breaks and that feeling I got of something to look forward to at a certain point in the day.

Although vaping was new and attractive, it seemed a lot healthier and was touted as a lot cheaper than smoking, I am not sure it's as cheap as some people may initially believe. I know it's not as expensive as cigarettes, but it is also not cheap. If you are like me and want to get a half-decent mod and go through a lot of juice and coils, it all begins to add up.

If I add up all the mods that I have bought that just broke after a relatively short period and the coil issues, it does add up to probably about £80-£100 a month in cost. I also have at leasrt 20 plus tanks that I need to throw away. Plus loads of juices that I will never vape because they proved to be rubbish to vape. It could also be just me but based on previous conversations with other vapers, this is a fairly common pattern.

I have also found with vaping, after the initial period, you do vape a lot more than you would do with cigarettes, and juice/vaping companies rely on this because you will need a steady supply of liquids every month, which means a long term customer base who are addicted to your product. I am not just trying be cynical, and I do know it is better than cigarettes, and I enjoy it most of the time, and maybe I am playing devil's advocate, but I do feel myself wondering about the expense from time to time.

So, I was wondering, now that you are addicted to vaping, are you finding it a lot more expensive than you had expected?

Don’t care about the financial cost, the health benefits far outweigh that for me. Cost was never a consideration. That said, smoking would be costing me £130+ a week, so vaping is still way cheaper.

Stop buying your kit in the high street where their overheads are higher.

I'm probably about £50 a month for juice and coils. If i was still smoking about 30 a day that would be around 45 packs a month. I don't know what they cost these days, but at a tenner a pack that would be £450 a month on fags. I could smoke 60 a day at the weekends, so probably a good bit more than £450.

Very subjective and also different for each individual. :)
I completely understand where you're coming from, but perhaps we were just lucky? We hit on a couple of Liquid suppliers that we thoroughly enjoyed very early on, and that really saved us fortunes.
Hardware?? Again, more or less started on rebuildables straight away, so again a huge saving there.
These days we make our own Liquids and only buy from favourite suppliers as the occasional treat. :)

Yeah it is a lot more expensive than I thought, because as you said I've bought mods and tanks and juices to get where I want to be and it's took a good year to figure everything out. But I'm expecting to spend a lot less over my second year of vaping now I know what I like.

That said my sister has vaped the same pen and the same cheapest juice she could find for years. One flavour, one brand, one £20 pen. So it's all down to what you want out of it.

Have spent a lot on new kit over the years. It has been a fun hobby though. These days I have slowed right down and don't buy much apart from juice. Using my rebuildables I could get away with spending about a fiver a week now.

I`m saving a fortune on buying vape gear compared to smoking, latterly vaping has gotten more expensive but that`s because my vaping style has changed.
In an earlier post you mentioned that you spent £80 on a £35 discontinued Smok kit, there are a shedful of reviews and loads of info that, had you read them, would probably have steered you away from your impulse buy. Having said that I think it`s a load of bollocks how much more protection online purchases get over shop sales.

Vaping is way cheaper than smoking unless you have a bad case of shinyitus. I mix my own juice and make my own coils so it costs me very little apart from Nautilus coils and I reckon the savings from giving up smoking have more than covered what I've spent on vaping gear.

my initial outlay in my first year was a bit crazy as i took one for the team and bought shit loads of kit and juice. think it was around 2-3 grand.
after 9 years and 55 kits and thousands of bottles of juice ive saved way more than i ever thought i would and ive got a lot of kit to show for it instead of a pile of dog ends.

yes outlay at first is a hit on the pocket but it works out at a massive saving in the end.

3.JPG

Back
Top Bottom