What's new

BB Panels Plasti-Dip coated.

First of all I really need your opinions - a simple yay or nay will do if you haven't got time.

I've had issues with producing the panels, dimensions I have got perfect and a few designs, however I was not happy with the finish on them, the nature of 3D printing leaves paths which remain visible even after hours of sanding, example:

BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-5.jpg

As you can see the lines and light refraction spoils the looks, so I have been seeing a way of coating them, normal spray paint isn't up to the job and prone to scuffing and scratches, but I think I found the perfect solution that not only solves the quality issue but also improves the texture.

It's called Plasti Dip and is basically a spray rubberised coating which leaves a great looking finish and grip, it's also fingerprint, scratch, scuff resistant and some.

Not only that but it highlights design features and text.

3 Colours I ordered: Metallic Blue, Metallic Dark Red, Metallic Gun Metal which is more like Black.

Here's a few I painted today (I'm sure I will improve with practice):

BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-4.jpg

BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-1.jpg

BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-2.jpg

BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-3.jpg

BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-7.jpg

Attachments

• BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-6.jpg
    BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-6.jpg
    873.3 KB · Views: 78
  • BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-8.jpg
    BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-8.jpg
    874.6 KB · Views: 81
  • BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-9.jpg
    BB-Doors-Plasti-Dip-9.jpg
    562.4 KB · Views: 80
Looks great to me, I see what you mean about the first picture but the later ones look good!!

@Vapaneezer Scrooge how many layers top and bottom are you using and how many perimeters. You might find you get better results with more of them. Some of the marks are scars caused by the extruded being a tad too low, raise it slightly and by slightly I’m talking 0.01mm you could z level at start to do this if not adjusting height via probe.

By the way love the look of some of those dips will have a play myself at some point

That said I have had a look st them again looks like most of the problem is over extrusion have you calibrated extruded stepper motor, and flow rate

@Vapaneezer Scrooge how many layers top and bottom are you using and how many perimeters. You might find you get better results with more of them. Some of the marks are scars caused by the extruded being a tad too low, raise it slightly and by slightly I’m talking 0.01mm you could z level at start to do this if not adjusting height via probe.

By the way love the look of some of those dips will have a play myself at some point
6 top & bottom with 3 perimeters at 0.15 later height, I compared 0.1 which was twice the print time for very little visible difference.

Tried slower speeds, faster speeds with the same results.

I pretty much always bed level before each print using a sheet of standard paper, I have a touch tried higher using thicker paper but the first layer is atrocious and lost a few to poor adhesion as a result.

I will try give your suggestion a go once I receive some feeler gauges I've ordered thanks.

The scars aside the main problem is the path taken around details, not sure if that can be avoided? I'm using Cura 3.5

Back
Top Bottom