What's new

Best way to try multiple DIY flavours without rewicking?

You could use a thick gauge of good old silica wick lol. Flavour and vapour nowhere near as good as cotton, but you can rinse it under the tap to clear old flavour and pulse fire it dry without burning it or setting it ablaze. I guess it would give you a general idea of the flavours to decide what will go in the good pile and what will end up in the box to be given away lol ;). Then put cotton back in to test and fine tune what's in the good pile ;).

I do not think that silica is as inferior as you imply, if at all but it is I believe the easiest way to quickly rewick. Take meter of silica and use tape tightly wrapped round one end to make a "bootlace". Poke it through the coil, pull it most of the way through and cut it off. Significantly quicker than a cotton wick, which in itself does not take long. You might save half the time it would take to do a cotton wick, so perhaps a minute rather than two.

Combined with another old school testing dripper like this https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...-mini-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer-10-pack-1 might be the answer. Still only going to give you a low wattage test though.

As I just posted in the other thread of a similar theme....

If I'm in a shop sampling flavours I use my dripper with no cotton. Just soak the coil, vape a couple, burn off the last bit and then do same again with the next sample flavour.
Virtually no carry over flavour this way, just remember your juice will taste slightly different in your tank or in your normally set up dripper.

There are dedicated vapers that only ever vape this way claiming it's the purist flavour you can get. But you only get 2/3 tugs before having to re-soak the coil; too much hassle for me to do as a routine thing, but works well when testing.
:-)

I do not think that silica is as inferior as you imply, if at all but it is I believe the easiest way to quickly rewick. Take meter of silica and use tape tightly wrapped round one end to make a "bootlace". Poke it through the coil, pull it most of the way through and cut it off. Significantly quicker than a cotton wick, which in itself does not take long. You might save half the time it would take to do a cotton wick, so perhaps a minute rather than two.

Combined with another old school testing dripper like this https://www.fasttech.com/products/0...-mini-rebuildable-dripping-atomizer-10-pack-1 might be the answer. Still only going to give you a low wattage test though.

Silica wick is OK and has its uses :). I built with it for 3 years almost exclusively, occasionally used eco wool as well. Initially I was hesitant to change to cotton from silica, it was what I was used to but the difference on switching was significant. I'm not implying it's inferior, the point is cottons are an improvement or we'd still be using silica, not cotton and if I thought it was inferior I wouldn't have mentioned it at all ;).

I never used tape to pull it through coils although I know people did. , I used to get a small triangle of tin foil and just tightly crimp it on to the end of my piece of silica and push it through :). I used to enjoy vaping the silica gunge you'd get a build up of after refilling several times without rinsing a tank lol :).

All comes down to what OP wants to spend I guess lol :). Something like a Sapor or Lush can literally be rewicked with cotton in 2 mins and they don't need to be super tidy for quick tests lol :).

If your struggling with re wicking check out your tank for building on Utube. I guess I change my wick every other day to get the full flavour from my juice

Brigeless or a RDA with as I call it quick wick... Just put a piece through the coil... no need to tuck it in.. if you have a load ready you can quickly change and test a lot of juices in short period of time..

Thanks for all the replies all!
Whenever I wick the result always seems really harsh and very spitty. I have tried fuller and thinner wicks but it always seems to be the same :(
I have a mephisto clone that I have built coils for and also used the stock TFV8 included RDA (just wicked it, not using the tank and saturated the wick) but they both seem to give the same result.

Back
Top Bottom