What's new

Coil building noob

NPS

I'm off on my hols soon but while i am away I will order an Augvape Merlin nano.

ssssssso.............

What wire, cotton and anything else should I get to go with it.....I am unsure of the wire gauge I need....(and lots of other things)

I usually vape my Tigon at 23 watts with the 0.4 ohm ish....coil but prefer the 1.2ohm and use this at about 11.5W.

I like really thick liquids like Cuttwoods and Wick Liquor stuff but ( as stated in another thread) I don't inhale as I am a cigar and pipe smoker....so I just roll it around in my mouth.. Flavour is my bag ....I don't even add Nic most of the time.....

If I can order everything from one place that would be great.......I have most tools I will need except ceramic pliers, so I may need a set of those...( not sure why though...lol)

Personally...

I'd use 28 guage kanthal, 5 ish wraps on a 2.5 and aim somewhere around 1ohm or so.

You only need ceramic tipped tweezers if you want to squeeze contact coils while pulsing them - I invariably build spaced so mine don't really ever get used...

I use cotton gods cotton - because that's what the shop had when I bought it.

Other people like different wires (different guage or complex like claptons) and different cotton - I just have what I have and it works for me.

Yeah, 28g kanthal would be ideal for a 1.2 ohm build

Personally...

I'd use 28 guage kanthal, 5 ish wraps on a 2.5 and aim somewhere around 1ohm or so.

You only need ceramic tipped tweezers if you want to squeeze contact coils while pulsing them - I invariably build spaced so mine don't really ever get used...

I use cotton gods cotton - because that's what the shop had when I bought it.

Other people like different wires (different guage or complex like claptons) and different cotton - I just have what I have and it works for me.
Thanks..much appreciated... I will go with this as a first go..... Always think there's not much point in asking for advice if you don't take it.

Yeah, 28g kanthal would be ideal for a 1.2 ohm build
Thanks.... As above.... I will try this.
Great forum this chaps.... Only posted a few times.... But great help... Once again... Thanks.... You must see these sort of posts regularly... Much appreciated

Thanks.... As above.... I will try this.
Great forum this chaps.... Only posted a few times.... But great help... Once again... Thanks.... You must see these sort of posts regularly... Much appreciated

No probs. Ask as many questions as you like.

Thanks..much appreciated... I will go with this as a first go..... Always think there's not much point in asking for advice if you don't take it.

No worries.

It's a pretty safe starting point imo, and one that you may never have to leave. That's where I started and have come all the way back around to, because it's quick, easy and perfectly functional.

Add or subtract a wrap, bigger or smaller core - quite a lot to play with from that base. For dtl I had pretty good results by twisting the 28 (2,3 or 4 strands twisted together).

And if you want to go further from that, wire is cheap - you can grab a roll of most types for about the same cash as a single stock coil...

28g kanthal as others have recommended, combined with some muji cotton. Bought direct from muji in europe, I spent something like £10 for enough cotton to last me two years or more, literally.

I've tried the fancy cottons, don't feel enough of a difference in flavour or wicking to warrant the price difference, personally. So I'd recommend muji as a starting point, cheap so you can make mistakes and not care about wasted cotton.

When I go on holiday I take my old trusty setups as I don't need the hassle of leaks or dry hits when far from home.

Back
Top Bottom