What's new

Sub Ohm Dovpo Blotto (Single Coil).

Astral

Achiever

DOVPO Blotto Single Coil RTA.

Disclaimer: This is an independent review of a vape device kindly provided to me by @Sourcemore and is not associated with Planet Of The Vapes or any other organisation. The opinions here are purely my own and I am not receiving any payment or inducement for them.

DSCF0087 (2).JPG

Traditionally it's normal for me to open my reviews with a little piece of background or comment on the item I’m reviewing, but today I’m going to be a little bit different.

You see, this new Dovpo Blotto single coil RTA is made with the aid of a gobby Australian YouTuber called ‘The Vaping Bogan’ and today that's where I'd like to begin.

In many ways this is a very smart move by Dovpo because despite appearances he's a clever guy, but the fact is we couldn’t be more different - we’re almost polar opposites in every respect.

Him, being an extroverted, loud and brash Aussie. Me, being a timid, reserved and introverted Brit. We couldn’t be more different.

That doesn’t stop him having a large following though. In fact, he’s one of the YouTube A-list, so I guess he’s doing something right, and I guess that also shows why a large respectable company such as Dovpo wants to work with him.

In spite of that, I have a lot of time for ‘The Vaping Bogan’ and don’t see collaborations as a bad thing. Reviewers can often offer a viewpoint manufacturers don’t see - and for that my respect for Dovpo is even greater. They’re a company who have now given us some of the highest quality kit of our times and provided me with some of my most treasured vaping possessions. I have an Odin sitting beside me right now for example.

The only thing I don’t have of theirs, oddly, is a tank - until now. The only question now is is this brand new 23mm single-coil Blotto the right one for me?

DSCF0110 (2).JPG DSCF0114 (2).JPG
DSCF0094 (2).JPG DSCF0102 (2).JPG

As a predominantly MTL user the initial answer to this is going to be no as the Blotto offers nothing for that demographic, but as an MTL user that doesn’t mind the odd bit of DTLing, my interests were piqued and I wondered if this was something I could have in my armoury.

After reading the bumf it didn’t sound like it would be, but sometimes literature can be deceptive and after fondling it for a while and having a fair few dry toots with the airflow in different positions I began to wonder if this would have something to offer.

I actually found I liked it and equally I found liked the range of draws I took through the 810 drip-tipped bottom fed 272 degree chamber and its honeycombed outer airflow control ring.

I found these to be quite to my tastes for a warm, restricted DTL vape. Certainly far better than I’d anticipated.

There was also good scope for loosening the draw further for those that want a looser vape too.

Unlike a lot of other RTA’s on the market though, you don’t get any airflow inserts or reducers to adjust things manually so you have to rely solely on the stock set-up to do the job, but that doesn’t matter too much as this is well balanced and the natural range is sufficient to provide a nice degree of DTL variation for most people.

On breaking it down, I found the single-coil deck itself to be a nice design and one that looked easy to build on.

DSCF0146 (2).JPG DSCF0159 (2).JPG
DSCF0161 (2).JPG DSCF0138 (2).JPG

The positive and negative terminal blocks protrude slightly off the sides of the tall, tube-like, honeycombed central coil gully at a relaxed 45 degree angle, with each terminal block having holes and flat-head screws large enough to locate your solitary wrap’s legs securely without them popping out.

Your coils are easy to place too, and equally easy to cut to size using the included bottle opener measuring tool, although oddly neither the box or instructions mention it being one so you have to figure out its alternative use and how to use it for yourself.

But that said, building is no problem, even for a relative novice.

Threading the cotton is easy. There’s plenty of room around the build deck to move the fluffy stuff around but threading the bushy tails down the kidney hole style ports can be a bit fiddly and require a bit of poking, although not too much.

Wicking seems to work well even with relatively minimal amounts.

Most standard size coils fit the deck well and you can probably squeeze something quite complex in there if you please.

I used a simple 3mm NI80 fused clapton build in mine for around 0.4ohm but it’ll take something far more complicated - but not much bigger - than that.

The thing I like most about the airflow on this tank though is that much of it comes in from the sides rather than just from underneath, some of it even comes in from above the coils, and this seems to provide an extra richness to the flavour as well as minimising leaking.

It really does feel superbly designed and the kidney ported holes under the removable top fill cap provide no obstructions to your juice bottle what-so-ever.

DSCF0123 (2).JPG DSCF0130 (2).JPG
DSCF0142 (2).JPG DSCF0192 (2).JPG

In use I found the flavour to be immense. Normally I’m a lower wattage vaper - even for DTL, but the smoothness and richness of the juice’s tones led me to go much higher than I normally would, and I found myself experiencing new pleasures and subtleties to my liquids that I didn’t know were there. I even found myself re-enjoying juices I’d long gone off just for fun.

The flavour profile this tank gives is really right up there.

The airflow is spot on and the bountiful output filled my meagre lungs more than sufficiently.

Aesthetically it’s a pleaser too, it comes in a choice of just three tasteful colours - black, gunmetal and stainless steel, and has a choice of a 2.8mm straight, or two 5ml bubble glasses - clear and ultem - meaning you’ve got a range of looks to match any mod, no matter what you’ve got.

The box is suitably packed with spares too. You get your deck, two spare bubble glass tubes, an accessories pack, a bottle opener and your literature, but oddly no coils.

DSCF0201 (2).JPG DSCF0204 (2).JPG
DSCF0207 (2).JPG DSCF0230 (2).JPG

This contains almost all you’ll need for your first build and any minor repairs.

Not that either should be a problem, building and disassembly is really child's play as far as RTA’s go.

With it being a single coiler as opposed to its dual-coiler predecessor there's little dexterity or faffing about needed to position coils.

While single coilers aren’t necessarily flavour of the month right now, this is one single-coiler that goes a long way to being mine, and not only as a single-coiler, it puts many dual-coilers in the shade too. There’s not much out there in the market to beat it right now in any respect.

If you’re a skilled builder and wicker there’s no telling what sort of flavour and scope you could get with it.

At this price point you have to think they’ve done a hell of a job and can only be applauded for it. I can’t think of too many tanks I’d rather have.

I don’t think this was ever specifically aimed at being a beginners DTL RTA but with it’s excellent design and ease of build that’s exactly what Dovpo has created, and if this tank provided a great vape even for a DTL part-timer like me. I can only imagine the joys an aficionado will get from it.

My only gripe now is that the excellence of this will give a particular gobby Australian even more to crow about.

But right now, I’m giving all the credit to Dovpo, after all they did the bulk of the work, and with this new addition to their line up, they’ve come up with another little gem that deserves to be far wider known than it probably will be, and, on a personal level, I now have a beautiful Dovpo tank that sits nicely atop my favourite Odin mod with pride.

The gunmetal colours even match too. Bonza!

If you’d like one you can get one from @Sourcemore here for the price of $35.50.

Superb review Astral mate.

I've got one of these on the way from China so looking even more forward to getting it now after that. Sounds just what I like.

Superb review Astral mate.

I've got one of these on the way from China so looking even more forward to getting it now after that. Sounds just what I like.

It's really, really brilliant @Gitchy. Dovpo has done a terrific job. Like I said in my review, I didn't think it was going to be my kind of thing, but it turns out it really is and has made a covert out of me.

Great review @Astral looks like a great tank indeed. What kind of wattage did you find gave best flavour?

Lol. Asking me about wattages and flavour isn't such a good idea @ForestMagpie as I'm such a DTL part timer, but I can honestly say I'm enjoying it a lot at around 40w. I dear say it'll be enjoyable for others at a lot higher than that but I'm not too adventurous.

I put it through it's paces for the test and got decent results at all levels and don't think anyone in the market for a single coil DTL RTA will be disappointed with it. Only the hard core dual-coilers might find it a bit limited but then there's the bigger brother for them.

Lol. Asking me about wattages and flavour isn't such a good idea @ForestMagpie as I'm such a DTL part timer, but I can honestly say I'm enjoying it a lot at around 40w. I dear say it'll be enjoyable for others at a lot higher than that but I'm not too adventurous.

I put it through it's paces for the test and got decent results at all levels and don't think anyone in the market for a single coil DTL RTA will be disappointed with it. Only the hard core dual-coilers might find it a bit limited but then there's the bigger brother for them.
Thanks mate, I'm not interested in the bigger brother as my current single coiler I run at 34w and I'm perfectly happy with that so good to know that I could run this around the same and still get good flavour.

I'm pretty much exclusively a mesh RTA user ("really, you never mention it?" I hear you say :D) but I think your review may have sold me on one of these.

Have you had any leaking in the time you've been using it?

I'm pretty much exclusively a mesh RTA user ("really, you never mention it?" I hear you say :D) but I think your review may have sold me on one of these.

Have you had any leaking in the time you've been using it?

Hi @JohnNada, no, touch wood I've not experienced any leaking yet. It seems really well designed and engineered. Everything goes together very nicely. I've been very impressed with it.

If you're looking for an RTA I think you'll enjoy it. Hopefully as much as I am.

Peace and blessings my friend.

Hi @JohnNada, no, touch wood I've not experienced any leaking yet. It seems really well designed and engineered. Everything goes together very nicely. I've been very impressed with it.

If you're looking for an RTA I think you'll enjoy it. Hopefully as much as I am.

Peace and blessings my friend.

Thanks @Astral that's good to hear!

I'm also looking at the Eclipse but I think this would pair better with my Odin. I've got until pay day to mull it over :)

All the best ;)

Thanks @Astral that's good to hear!

I'm also looking at the Eclipse but I think this would pair better with my Odin. I've got until pay day to mull it over :)

All the best ;)

Snap. I've got mine on my Odin and they pair beautifully. Both gunmetal.

You should ask @ForestMagpie about the Eclipse, he's reviewing one. You might want to wait for that before you decide.

Back
Top Bottom