What's new

Dovpo Topside Dual fill cap

MarylinC37

Achiever
I'm not sure if any other Topside Dual users have experienced the same problem I've found with this mod but I felt this needed to be mentioned for anyone who might be thinking of buying one.

Even though I'm doing my best to ensure I properly locate the rubber grommets into the fill ports, the threading on the fill cap is still far too flimsy and very difficult to screw on without cross threading it. So far I've managed to avoid doing that but I'm not confident about how long I'll be able to keep that up and if that thread was to get destroyed by cross threading the whole mod would become unusable and be nothing more than bin fodder.

I would caution anyone against buying the Topside until this is fixed which is a shame as everything else about the way this mod is designed is excellent.

My Topside is still new but Dovpo seem to have fixed whatever issue there was with the battery door. It squonks really well and the Dovpo chip does it's job perfectly well.

Hopefully, Dovpo will urgently fix this issue with the fill cap and maybe even bring out a dual 21700 version which I'd be interested in.

Dumb question - after you put the cap in place do you first screw it anti-clockwise until you feel a faint click to locate the start of the thread then screw it down?

Normally the method above avoids/resolves most problems. If you drop the cap on, press down, twist and hope for the best it is easy to cross thread the cap and with plastic it can be terminal.

When screwing any threads together it is worth doing a 'back turn' until you feel the thread locate before screwing it together - and use GENTLE pressure, under no circumstances should you press down hard to encourage the thread to catch.

Firstly, anything you have to say to dovpo will fall on deaf ears, or at least that has been my experience.

When filling your mod dont overfill it, once filled, offer the stopper in the right orienatation (on mine it`s the wide slot to the back), it`s spring loaded so you will feel a little resistance, the stopper needs to be perfectly flat for the threads to engage and you may need almost a full turn of the stopper before the thread does engage but once the first thread has engaged you`ll no longer feel the resistance from the spring and it`s just like tightening a bottle stopper, hope that helps.

You're both right, particularly about turning it anti clockwise to feel for that faint click when the thread engages.

The problem is that's very hard to do because of the spring so trying to keep the cap pressed in enough while manipulating it and feeling for that 'click' can be really challenging. It would be too easy to get it wrong and end up with a mod that's no longer usable.

Never had any issues with my Topsides tbh, They all screw in perfectly. My Topside Dual was a Special Edition but don't think it's any different to the standard Dual apart from the Paint Job. As for Dovpo they seem to have died a death and getting anything from them has always been hard but now it's impossible, Don't think they are even making things anymore.

Never had any issues with my Topsides tbh, They all screw in perfectly. My Topside Dual was a Special Edition but don't think it's any different to the standard Dual apart from the Paint Job. As for Dovpo they seem to have died a death and getting anything from them has always been hard but now it's impossible, Don't think they are even making things anymore.

That would explain why their website seems to be offline. You never know with these Companies though. They might have just been bought up and absorbed into a different Company.

As my mod is still new the spring is probably still a bit stiff which makes it harder to hold the cap down enough while I'm trying to feel for that click. If the worst came to the worst I suppose you could use some kind of rubber bung if the top cap was to become unusable but who wants to do that?

It`s more of a knack than brute strength, once the tabs are located in the lugs I find no need to feel for the click, but it is important to sit the stopper flat before attempting to screw it down.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom