What's new

Giving up smoking using e-cigs

ngc_457

Postman
Evenin' all.

First can I just say how proud I am to be posting amongst such esteemed members as yourselves. I doff my hat, as I am truly the new boy in town. Nevertheless, I really do hope that I can add to this project.

I'd very much like to work on the giving up smoking with e-cigs article or, as I think it would be called in my case - 'Finally giving up smoking and taking up buying shiny things instead.'

The reason I'd like to write this one is that this is something that's very close to my heart. I've been vaping full time for four weeks now, having previously been a 20-30 a day man. More, if I was having particularly shitty day.

I'd tried everything - from Champix, patches and nasal sprays to hypnosis downloads and cold turkey. The longest I'd lasted was about 12 hours. I tried a vapourlites cig-a-like and thought to myself 'hmmm, maybe there's something in this.' It leaked. I gave up on it. I tried an ego...it was ok for a day or so but I was still dual fueling and found it a little underpowered.

Then, puffing away downstairs with a glass of wine in hand, I started browsing - rather drunkenly. Rather than looking at the usual 'art' websites that guys tend to pass the time with, I ended up watching some GrimmGreen YouTube videos. I stumbled across POTV. I became inspired. I saw the possibilities and realised that vaping was just about not smoking. it was about enjoying the alternative - not merely getting by.

I bought an MVP and I've not smoked since. It's not always been easy. Fights with the wife, stressful projects at work, struggling to find the right juice: these things have been stumbling blocks and nearly pushed me back onto analogues at times - but I've got through and am still going strong.

This is why I'd like to write this article. It's relevant to me, I'm passionate about the subject, and I really want to let others know what to expect. I'd forgotten that the air has a smell. How stupid does that sound.

Anyone object if the new boy puts this one together?

Cheers,

Chris

Great - will get to work this evening then. :-)

Sent from a 1990's Nokia, using steam power

I remember when i just started & it's worth recognizing that someone still closer to the cross over from smoking is more in touch with that area.

Work has been a little hectic and I finally got around to penning something. It's not what I expected or intended to write. In fact, I'm not sure it's even suitable, but here's how it came out...Feedback appreciated.

Cheers,

Did I really want to quit smoking?

I’m not too sure to be honest. I liked the conversation in the shelter at work. I liked the physical sensation of drawing in smoke. I liked the nicotine rush first thing in the morning. I. Just. Liked. It.

I knew it was bad for me. One grandfather smoked a pipe his whole life. He got cancer. It spread to his brain and we had some terrible conversations in his last few weeks. They will stay with me until my grave. It wasn’t him talking though. It was the cancer – addling his brain.

My paternal grandfather also died of cancer. He was a true trooper though – escaped from two Japanese POW camps and was a strong, upright man. It still got him though and I held his hand as he breathed his last.

Still, I walked out of the hospice and sparked up an L&B. It’s crazy.

I wanted to quit, but thought I wasn’t strong enough. I liked it too much. I didn’t really want to. I was in denial – to a point. I knew it would kill me. I’d experienced it first hand but just couldn’t quite get there.

NRT? Been there, done that, laughed at the ineffectiveness of it. Sticking an inhalator up my nose when I had a craving? Sorry – it just doesn’t work for me. Putting a patch on my arm? It stings. Pathetic, I know.

Nor did Big Pharma help. Champix? Oh dear…sorry... I’ve just put my fist through the kitchen wall. I must control my cravings more.

Then, out shopping one day with mother dearest, I stumbled across a cigalike. She persuaded me to try it. It wasn’t bad. I stuck with it the rest of the day and only gave up when lying on the sofa and getting a mouthful of liquid. Such a shame, I thought, as this could work.

I bought another a few days later a petrol station and it was reasonable, but didn’t quite hit the spot. I was back on the stinkies.

Chatting to a few of the ladies in work, I went to a local B&M and walked away with an ego and some e-juice. It was game changing for me. It had a CE4 clearomiser and it worked. Soon, though, the coil started to go and I was back on the stinkies – not knowing what to do.

I googled Ecigs and found a few well know US YouTube reviewers. This opened my eyes to the possibilities. The very next day I bought an MVP V2.

It blew my mind. I could taste the flavour of the juice and get a throat hit. I knew it would work. Don’t get me wrong, it’s not been easy. The first smoke of the day was the hardest to kick, but I’ve done it. Chain vaping in the garden before going to work has helped with that. Then came a couple of aerotanks. Then a Vamo, then a VTR. Soon, I'll be buying a mech. Shinyitis has hit, but at least I wasn't smoking.

What are the benefits?

I can now walk upstairs without getting out of breath. I can taste the air. You read that right. The air has a taste. I never knew this…more accurately, I had forgotten, but it’s still amazing.

I read that my taste buds would reignite. That’s not happened with me, but we are all different. I've been eating red hot curries since 15 years of age. My taste buds are probably shot anyway. Nor have I coughed up any lungs. That said, I never had a smoker’s cough anyway. I’ll see if it crops up in the next month or so.

I can sit in the house and not worry about the smell offending anyone or damaging the kids.

I can vape in the car. I can vape in the kitchen. I can vape anywhere I damn well choose – within reason.

I love it. I love the choice. I love the sensation. I love the fact that I can still chat with the smokers and get the gossip, without having an analogue.

I love the fact I no longer smell.

It’s a brave new world and we all have our own stories. That said, moving to vaping from smoking is life changing. For each of us it will be in a different way but it’s your story at the end of the day. It’s your experience; your life. Enjoy the changes. Enjoy the experimentation. Enjoy spending money on new gear. Enjoy being able to breathe.

This is probably not your usual ‘quitting using e-cigarettes’ article, but it’s my truth. It’s my story, my experience.

I wish you all the best with your story. We will be here to support you every step of the way.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom