What's new

Help on new charger

Omaran

Hi, I’ll couple this with an introduction, long time vaper here - back when cigalikes were the thing and you got funny looks for vaping! Vaping forums were a big help to me back then, but have not been on one for a long time, and have just found out the site I used to be on has shut down :11: I’ve lurked around POTV in the past so now signed up (I actually thought I was registered on here but may have been under an old email address), so hi all! :)

So for many years I had an XTAR Master VC2 Plus which could charge a pair of 18650 batteries at 1A and take 3.5 hours to charge. This failed recently (no power to the charger), so then I bought another XTAR 5V 2.1A wall adapter to see if that was the issue, it wasn’t, the charger was dead.

So new charger time, I was very happy with my last one so thought I’d stick with XTAR and just get an updated one, I bought an XTAR VC2L which stated it could charge a pair of batteries at 1A (0.5/1.0/2.0A). At first it did exactly this, but after a few days wouldn’t charge above 0.5A.

XTAR support said this was normal behaviour as it uses TC-CC-CV charging, and should only be at 1A during Constant Charging (CC), but it stays at 0.5A throughout the whole charging process, which takes around 7 hours (as opposed to 3.5 with previous charger). I bought some new batteries to test as well (Molicel M35A’s) but they charge the same.

Does this sound right? I’m thinking about sending the charger back because I’m not convinced! And if I do send it back, and recommendations as to what to get instead?

thanks all!

Cant comment on the XTAR range as I have never had one, but the nitecore one I have only does 1A if only 1 battery is in, as soon as I put 2 batteries it goes down to .5 each.

Hi @Omaran and welcome to the planet.

i dont know much about chargers. ive used a dragon for years which has lasted well but its not cheap.
a quick search brought up this review https://lygte-info.dk/review/Review Charger Xtar VC2 Plus Master UK.html

while you wait for people that know what they are talking about this is worth bookmarking if you do decide on another charger. also 20% off with forum code https://www.fogstar.co.uk/collections/xtar-chargers

Thanks - that’s the charger I had originally, I should have just replaced like for like TBH!

I have a couple of questions:
Are you using the Xtar wall charger.
Are you using the provided USB cable.

if the answer to either of those is no. You’ll only ever get .5A per bay.

I have a couple of questions:
Are you using the Xtar wall charger.
Are you using the provided USB cable.

if the answer to either of those is no. You’ll only ever get .5A per bay.

Hi, yes the cable is the one out of the box and am using the XTAR 5V 2.1A wall adapter

Yep. Your stuck with .5a charging when using two bays.
I can see your point though. It took quite a bit of research to find this out..
My Vc4 is much the same. Though having 4 bays (two charge circuits) means slot one and slot 4 will charge at 2A, at once. but adding a third battery drops everything to .5a.
I’ve got the Xtar branded Qualcomm quick charge 3, incidentally.

you will gain a great charge rate advantage from buying a 4 bay. As I’ve said above, I can charge two batteries a 2A. (Well with an Xtar, anyway.)

Dunno if it's still available but the Xtar Rocket will charge both bays at 0.25, 0.5, 1 or 2A. Power is DC either mains or car adapter. I charge my 18650s at 1A.

Back
Top Bottom