What's new

How many Watts are too many...

mostlygrumpy

Postman
I have an MPV 2, I use it nearly every day with either a mini protank 3 or a protank 3, it's fine for work. I sometimes use an ego battery with the mini protank 3 in the car, again it's fine. At home I tend to use either my stingray or my GP paps with a magma dripper.

I was satisfied and I still am satisfied with the MPV, but I wondered if I needed MORE POWER. I thought about the Sigelei 100 watt, and then I thought about the ohms calculator I use for my builds for the stingray and Paps. I usually stick between 0.8 and 1.2 ohms, this suits the vapour I like and the juices I have. I stay around the 1 ohm mark when in 18350 mode, my efests are ok for 6 amps so I'm theoretically ok down to 0.75 ohms ish, but I'm a build in a bit of leeway type safety wise. If I'm 18500 I might go 0.8, which on a fresh battery is about 5.25 amps, the batteries are good to 11 amps. The calculator tells me 0.8 ohms 4.2 Volts is about 22 Watts.

22 watts. Hmmm. So, I bought a Sigelei 50 Watt. My thought process being that I'm not a super sub ohmer, 0.4 ohms is the lowest I've been, dual coil, and it was too harsh. Out of curiosity I've had a couple of puffs at 50 watts, 40 watts and 35 watts, again, too hot, pointless (for me).

Is there a point to this?

Good question.

The point is that I've found I get the best vape between 15 and 20 watts, that's all I need. If you don't like car analogies look away now.

Whilst the thought of a Ferrari is all well and good and we'd all like a go in one, the simple truth is they're bugger all use for popping to the shops or at the Drive Thru.

You might be like me and thinking about buying a 100 Watt, 150 Watt mod, but do you need it? Unless you're competition cloud chasing or use your mod for grilling chops I don't think you do.

You've just bought one anyway haven't you? Mmmmm it's shiny.

FFS.

Sent from my iPad using Planet of the Vapes

^^^

You talk sense sir.....ive got 2 dna30's and never vape past 15watts.....and my builds never lower then 1 ohm

Silly question guys. I've just bought a hanna DNA 30 clone from fast tech. When I'm using my kayfun on my svd it tastes a bit burnt above 12 watts. My coil is 1.4 ohm. Am I doing something wrong here.

Someone more enlightened will also answer, but it sounds like your build isn't wicking properly, the juice is being used quicker than the wick is taking it up.

most I've built is on a genesis, kraken at 35 Watts.....
not too warm and wicks great on SS rope and mesh
so a DNA30 would be pushing it for gennies as most of my builds end up sub ohm
(average 0.8 ohm)
and I have 3 gennies, my go to devices.
drippers I tend to build 1 to 1.5 ohm per coil on muji
so dual could be 0.5 ohm.

I think more than 30w would come in handy if you want to chase clouds. (I don't; and find the only times I go above 20w with my Fasttech DNA30 Mini, is when an atty gurgles due to my bad wicking).

I used clearomizers for my first 8 months and don't think you need any more than about 10w I vaped them mainly between 8w to 9w
now I'm using RBA's as well and don't bother sub ohming on them I have tried but I feel there isn't adequate air flow for sub ohm high watt vaping ( might be wrong but that's my experience) but they have better wicking so I can sometimes go as high as 15w to 20w
i like dessert vapes and find going too high ruins the flavour
I will eventually buy an RDA but am holding out as I'm afraid it will make my RBA's and clearos seem too weak and I don't want to do that yet as I'm still enjoying my RBA's and clearo's (with my own cotton coils) but in the future when I do buy a dripper that's when I'll start experimenting with sub ohming and see how high I can crank the watts up.

Last edited:
I have a feeling the people who will post here to agree don't dual coil drippers or build genesis

Ummm, don't understand the question:woot:. I've been using mechs for the last 6 months or so and am quite happy. Of course I might be persuaded that I need something else.

1.21 Giga Watts might be considered too much...

Ok, I have a 100W Sig, Ok I don't really take my 0.8Ohm dual coil Fogger much above 23.5 W, but I do take my Mephisto ( dc, 0.3Ohm) and Veritas( single coil 0.25 ohm) over 50W. Some juices actually do taste a bit better - to me - on higher power. Yes a few chaps I've let have a go have taken it up to 90W and had fun.
Do i need the 100 W, probably not, but could I get a 50W device at the time? Frak no! Do I like the design of the Sig, ooh aye. Regrets? A few but not over the Sig!
I will probably end up getting another 50 or 100W gadget as soon as I get some spare cash as I get or like having the extra power available, on a Meff with Ginger nut, 40-46W is lovely.

I am also quite happy using my old Nemi with a VTC5 in it.

Each to their own, that is what this life caper is about so I am told. I like certain juices with certain builds at higher wattage.

Have you had a go with a high power device yet??

Back
Top Bottom