What's new

If you often get sore throat or lungs - READ THIS

MarylinC37

Achiever
This subject has been bothering me for ages because of the old ‘VAPERS MYTH’ about putting the blame on PG allergy which is not helping anyone.

I get so much pleasure and enjoyment out of vaping and have been chugging away for over 10 years. I know as vapers we get very defensive when we feel attacked by the anti vaping lobby. That is where I think this myth around PG allergy has come from because no-one wants nicotine to get the blame.

However, it’s only when you understand the problem that you can then understand how to deal with it so we need to get one thing straight.

NICOTINE is a ‘POISON’. In its pure state it will ‘KILL YOU’.

In that respect it’s the same as morphine which, in its pure state, is also a poison and would also kill you.

I have attached a Safety Data Sheet for nicotine which explains the various types of hazard nicotine can pose.

The solution is really simple. If your throat or lungs start getting that sore burning feeling it’s because you are ingesting too much nicotine. To solve it your can either vape juices containing lower nicotine level, slow down how often your take a puff or just take a break from vaping for a while until the soreness goes away.

We can safely vape because the nicotine content is so heavily diluted. The strongest juices or nic salts contain 20mg which, in percent terms, is just 2% and the other 98% is all your flavours and base liquids. Sub-ohm DTL vapers will know that the juices they use only contain 3mg of nicotine. That means just 0.3% of their juice is pure nicotine and the other 99.7% are the dilutants. DTL vapers are ingesting far larger volumes of vapour (and nicotine) with every puff which is why if you’ve ever tried putting higher Nic MTL juices into a sub ohm tank it feels like having your throat ripped out from the inside.

Pure nicotine can kill in 3 ways. 1) If you drink it, 2) if you inhale it or 3) (and this is the important bit) if it comes into contact with your skin.

The effect nicotine has on your skin is important to understand when you inhale the vapour through your airways and into your lungs. Because our vape juices are so heavily diluted there is far too little nicotine in it the kill anyone but if you ingest enough of it it will become a ‘skin irritant’ and your airways will begin to get inflamed.

As for propylene glycol (PG), I don’t believe this old vapers myth that it is the real culprit. PG is used in lots of things like cosmetics and salad dressing because it has very low toxicity and is generally completely safe. I buy half litre bottles of it for my vape juices and I know that if I poured out a cup full and dipped my finders into it it wouldn’t do a thing. If you did that with pure nicotine you would die, pure and simple. The PG allergy thing is a ‘Vapers Myth’ and it gets me really angry when I see someone post that they are getting problems with throat and lung soreness and they get fed this complete crap which isn’t helping them one bit.

Vaping is perfectly safe and enjoyable if it is done properly and is a huge help to stop smoking. To me the biggest concerns are around disposable vapes (particularly with regard to children), people dumping ridiculous types of junk into vape tanks and people not understanding what is a safe level of nicotine to use.

Attachments

• Nicotine Safety Data Sheet (SDS).pdf
    386 KB · Views: 44
Last edited:
Im a bit confused about this bit.
"Pure nicotine can kill in 3 ways. 1) If you drink it, 2) if you inhale it or 3)
*(and this is the important bit) if it comes into contact with your skin."
Agree its not good to have it on you, but I have had skin contact by accident with 100mg nic and am still upright.
Of course I washed it off but the worst it did was make the area of contact feel warmer for a few minutes than normal. No burning or discomfort and zero ill effects.
Of course contact should be avoided but as above post id say is right.

Don't worry about it @Tazz , in all the time I've been here this one is right up there with some of the strangest posts I've come across.

Im a bit confused about this bit.
"Pure nicotine can kill in 3 ways. 1) If you drink it, 2) if you inhale it or 3)
*(and this is the important bit) if it comes into contact with your skin."
Agree its not good to have it on you, but I have had skin contact by accident with 100mg nic and am still upright.
Of course I washed it off but the worst it did was make the area of contact feel warmer for a few minutes than normal. No burning or discomfort and zero ill effects.
Of course contact should be avoided but as above post id say is right.

Of course you're still upright. 100mg nicotine means it is 90% diluted.

You could bath in PG and it wouldn't hurt you.

Of course you're still upright. 100mg nicotine means it is 90% diluted.

You could bath in PG and it wouldn't hurt you.
Mods here, delete my reply if wrong.
My reply....
Id be in a bath full of it 100% nic and live?.
You Are A Moron....

I don't see how people can't have an allergy to PG. We aren't all the same - I have a friend who will turn into the elephant man if he eats nuts, but nuts don't have the same affect on everyone. The same guy suffers badly when there is a high pollen count where others will be barely affected.

I can't vape Freebase nic at over 6mg without a sore throat, but I can vape 20mg Nic Salts all day without any throat problems. The type of nic you chose to vape also has an effect - again we aren't all the same. Just as many vapers prefer Freebase nic in MTL and find that they will have adverse reactions to Nic Salts.

Sorry, it is entirely possible to have a PG allergy and some people do. Luckily I'm not one of them.

I'm not really questioning your comments on the dangers of over ingesting nicotine - except the statement DTL vapers are ingesting more nicotine... I vape 60ml of 3mg in DL and 10ml of 20mg in MTL so I ingest slightly more nicotine in MTL than DL even though I vape DL (or RDL) for 75% of the day.

It is entirely down to how much nic you ingest in a day - not your choice of vape style.

Mods here, delete my reply if wrong.
My reply....
Id be in a bath full of it 100% nic and live?.
You Are A Moron....

But you obviously can't have a polite conversation without calling people names.

Read the data sheet and do some research. 100% nicotine is 1000mg. If you bath in it you would die.

I love vaping but deluded crap like this harms every vaper.

But you obviously can't have a polite conversation without calling people names.

Read the data sheet and do some research. 100% nicotine is 1000mg. If you bath in it you would die.

I love vaping but deluded crap like this harms every vaper.

The delusion could be someone believing that because Nicotine is a poison (which it is) then PG can't be an irritant.

Some people do have an adverse reaction to PG in higher concentrations. Reducing the amount of nic does nothing for these people, but reducing the amount of PG (or vaping 100% VG) does.

You're not thinking this through.

Sorry, it is entirely possible to have a PG allergy and some people do. Luckily I'm not one of them.

Yes it is possible to have an allergy to PG but look at the percentages of what you're vaping. If you move the decimal pont of the MG figure one place to the left it gives you the percentage. 20mg nic salts is 98% diluted. Why do you think DTL tanks only use 3mg juice which is 99.7% diluted? Because if you put any juices in it with higher nic it is unvapable.

Back
Top Bottom