What's new

Is it dangerous to mix your own eliquid?

nicotine, sadly, is a bit disappointing toxin. You can image the face of a guy who was trying to commit the suicide by consuming 4g of the pure nicotine, and sadly to him - survived (Schmidt 1931). the amount of ppl who survived the consumption f more than 60mg of nicotine is countless (Larson et al. 1961).

But yet again: highest concentration of the commercially available on the market nicotine is 7.2%. LD50 for nicotine is 0.8mg/kg. Regarding the skin absorption/penetration, we can argue here, but what is the point of re-discovering the America if someone else have done so?
From the article: https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC6322548/
you can find in the fig 3 there:
nihms-1002887-f0003.jpg

that the accumulation caused by penetration is pretty low for nicotine in PG/menthol ejuice, and higher for lemon ejuice.
But, in all cases, the critical factor is not the ejuice per se, but the time.

Therefore, I am assuming (and actually following this practice daily, while mixing with the 7.2% base my shortfills) that the basic hygiene, like the careful wash of the hands after mixing plays far more important role than having the gloves.
Gloves, by the way, can give a false safety feeling and it really depends from the used gloves material and thickness, as per:
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/23405605/

Consequently, going to conclusion:
yes, nicotine can be deadly if you would swim in it or if you would not hollow the basic hygiene principles.

Quod erat demonstrandum...
I found a place that sells 100mg online from Switzerland.
Not used them yet but prices are very reasonable and they ship internationally lol.
I use chemical resistant nitrile gloves. The deadly nicotine thing is weird. Some places say it's 30mg for a 70kg male. Some say it's higher. The most agreed upon dose I could find was 60-70mg, but some even said it takes a lot, lot more than that.
For me, I'd rather not take the risk and I'm just very careful when measuring out into eliquids and wash my hands after.

Oh noes, science intervening in a good hypegasm, those perky kids, foiled again....

@CzesiuB - just read that study. So, worst case scenario you use 25mg/ml Lemon-Lime and get a drop on your skin, don't move for 24 hours while it absorbs and you'll absorb 330micrograms per cm^2. A drop is less than 1/4 of a cm^2, so less than 0.1mg nicotine. To put it another way, bathe in the stuff for 24 hours full submerged and absorb approx 5 grams, now that might hurt! Then again 25mg is not TDP compliant, that'll teach them! Reductio ad absurdum, since we're using Latin.

I'm trying to sell a new tank on ebay and i turns out you need to have special permission to sell vape stuff. I spent ages making the page too. They could have alerted me first grrr.
Is there a selling place on here? Got a brand new, sealed, Stainless Steel Geekvape Zeus Z sub-ohm tank. Non-TDP version, incidentally lol.

Last edited:
I use the stronger stuff to mix with. I just know better than to lick any off my fingers. Just needs a bit of common sense to treat it like any other toxic chemical you have about the house like bleach or weed killer and just be aware to treat it with respect and don't act like an idiot when you're using it.

It's probably safer to mix you're own juice, if I scratch ma baws mid mix ....Im comfortable it's ma baws:)

Back
Top Bottom