What's new

muji vs labo

• Thread starter Deleted member 58360
  • Start date
With all the disposables affecting climate issues I'm surprised that folk haven't been suggesting a cotton alternative?
I believe it takes 20,000 litres of water to produce 1kg of cotton.

aye but with a bag of labo lasting an average of 10 years and weighing probably 200g, i think clothes are probably more of a problem in that sense.

Just in case anyone was missing them, and as they're made from Muji

nickers.JPG

Yep, got deleted. :(

Yup sadly

Actually, It did NOT get deleted. It got put in a Safe Place and got Locked so that everything remained there in case it was ever required again.
Why did it get Closed and moved? The OP requested that it should be removed.
I followed his instructions. If that causes you issues, then apologies, but when a member asks that a topic he started is removed, it usually gets removed. However, after the hiatus that occurred with one of the Covid topics being deleted, I thought it wiser to just save this particular topic in case.

Actually, It did NOT get deleted. It got put in a Safe Place and got Locked so that everything remained there in case it was ever required again.
I followed his instructions. If that causes you issues, then apologies, but when a member asks that a topic he started is removed, it usually gets removed. However, after the hiatus that occurred with one of the Covid topics being deleted, I thought it wiser to just save this particular topic in case.
I know that Rob, and I saw why - it's just sad that it had to be. :)

I followed his instructions. If that causes you issues, then apologies, but when a member asks that a topic he started is removed, it usually gets removed. However, after the hiatus that occurred with one of the Covid topics being deleted, I thought it wiser to just save this particular topic in case.[
no issues from me Rob . The op confirmed that he asked for it to be moved/deleted

With all the disposables affecting climate issues I'm surprised that folk haven't been suggesting a cotton alternative?
I believe it takes 20,000 litres of water to produce 1kg of cotton.

If you actually want to discuss this then start a thread - I'll happily share my findings on the subject.

I wasn't going to rewrite the whole thing, but @Rob was kind enough to throw me the text...

Take 2.

Firstly I'd like to extend my thanks to the lovely people at @andyroo and the staff at @zouzounaki for providing sponsorship by supplying some muji and labo pads respectively.

Also my local vape shop for giving me a sample pack of coil master branded "muji" and starting this whole debacle. Blame them.

I've previously tried a variety of "special" vape cotton (cotton gods, cotton bacon, firebolt, etc.) and was always disappointed with a fresh build due to the taste of the wick - switching to unflavoured juice really highlighted just how much it was how I imagine chewing on socks stuffed with dog hair would taste like...

Enter:

IMG_20211015_015534786~2.jpg

Apparently it's soft enough to vape all fitted skin types.

It worked though, perfectly happy in comparison to "special" stuff.

Running a little low on my sample pack of 5 and seeing what they charge, I thought it time to see what the cheaper bulk packs were like.

So, here's "muji" on the left, muji in the middle and labo on the right:

IMG_20211015_014459660~2.jpg

CM "muji" is way thinner, although larger pads.

Other initial impressions were that the labo has a very slight odour to it, almost like freshly dug soil with just a hint of spice. It's certainly not overpowering and if I didn't have a habit of sniffing things I probably wouldn't have noticed. It's reminiscent of a shop that used to be in town that sold hipster type organic clothes...

I cut the amount I'd usually use for a wick (a strip cut along the grain, approx 4-5mm wide and half the length of the pad)

IMG_20211015_014638533~2.jpg

The thickness difference is clear...

I usually peel the strip to use, so I stripped off the thinnest amount I could.

IMG_20211015_014806643~2.jpg

Real muji and labo has less of a skin to it, oh, and it doesn't form so much of a compressed edge when cut with scissors.

Holding one end and flicking the other:

IMG_20211015_015049556~2.jpg

I had to rake the CM with tweezers to get it like that, the other two spread out naturally. I think the labo has a very slightly more uniformity to the grain, in that it looks straighter.

The testbed!

IMG_20211015_011352009~2.jpg

A brace of picos, with accompanying galaxies rdtas.

New coil for each, 7 wraps on 2.5mm id with 28g ka1 - just a sliver over 1.2 ohms

IMG_20211015_012559307~2.jpg

Wicking was uneventful.

To be sure I could be relatively consistent I used my usual technique of peeling the strip, rolling both ends and inserting. A roll on both ends helps when going through the deck holes for me. Then trim the ends where they sit inside the tank section.

Although the strips started the same length, the labo seemed to "extend" less so half a pad length was only just long enough. The muji seemed to stretch that little bit easier - possibly due to the difference in the grain mentioned above.

Juice it up

IMG_20211015_020830513~2.jpg

And we're off to the races

IMG_20211015_014134019~2.jpg

As you can see, I like to live on the edge with my 8.5w supervape experience ;)

So.

In order of ascending preference:

CM "muji". It's alright. Nothing more except it is better than any "specific" cotton I tried. Slight cottony taste after building that doesn't last long. Most difficult of the 3 to build with, but that's not saying much because it's really not hard.

The other two.

Both were no issue to install, nothing bound up, juice soaked in easily and they are both more than capable of keeping themselves wet in this tank.

I think the muji just ever so slightly edges it for me. Labo had a little cottonyness to it for the first few puffs which didn't seem to be there with muji. Muji also has that stretchiness which made wicking this tank just that bit easier.

I'll have to see how they go after the first tank, and after that - and I'll try a couple of different wicking techniques (from the other thread) to see if that affects anything. I also want to see how they perform with something a bit more demanding so I'll try them in my wasp nano and my v1 dead rabbit rta and find out what they make of higher flow rates and longer tails.

To be continued.

Yep, the galaxies are what I use almost exclusively for MTL (I do still use my odo pod, but only in specific circumstances).

They're good little tanks - well made, easy to build, easy to fill. The only downside for me is the capacity but if that really became an issue I could always squonk them...

Most importantly for a wick comparison, I'm familiar with them (having two helps). It would've been an exercise in futility to use something I'm not used to.

Back
Top Bottom