What's new

Needing advice for mtl coil making

Theres no silly questions mate. The id is the internal diameter of the coil so you create the id yourself as you said.

@eightbitraptor beat me to it lol.

Interesting, I use 30awg ss316 always in wattage mode. I think it heats and cools faster than kanthal. 8 wraps at 3mm or 9 or 10 at 2ish mm.

Yeah it does, although not as fast as ni80 iirc. It’s also lower resistance per meter than Kanthal.

I think a lot of stock coils use SS these days.

Big help, thanks. So when buying wire do I need to select the gauge (say 28) and then the ID or is the ID when you create the coil yourself, eg, wrapping it around a 2.5mm screwdriver, does that make the ID 2.5? May be a silly question so apologies
Yes, the ID (Inner Diameter) is just the size of the hole through the middle of the coil, which is dictated by the size of the rod/drill bit/mandrel you wind it around.

A good guide for how your coil will come out can be found at http://www.steam-engine.org/coil.html

If I were using 28 gauge Kanthal, and wanted a 1.3 ohm coil with a 2.5mm inner diameter, steam engine will tell me how many wraps (how many times I have to wrap the wire around the rod) I need.

Steamengine will work out how you need to wind your coil:
steam.jpg

And you should end up with something looking a bit like this:
20170502_211057-jpeg.126346

Thanks for all your help lads. I took the plunge and ordered the Siren V2 last night, along the coil-master kit, some cotton and 28g kanthal wire. Fingers crossed i'll be making some perfect coils in no time! How long do these DIY coils tend to last? I'm presuming it'll work out a lot cheaper because i'm going through the nautilus coils every 2/3 days with the juice i use and the amount i vape. When you taste the burnt hit do you just give the coil a clean and change the cotton??

hi as i can see you have got lots of advice other apes on which wire to use so i will just say::hello:and:welcome1: to the planet its good to have you here :thumbup:..

Thanks for all your help lads. I took the plunge and ordered the Siren V2 last night, along the coil-master kit, some cotton and 28g kanthal wire. Fingers crossed i'll be making some perfect coils in no time! How long do these DIY coils tend to last? I'm presuming it'll work out a lot cheaper because i'm going through the nautilus coils every 2/3 days with the juice i use and the amount i vape. When you taste the burnt hit do you just give the coil a clean and change the cotton??

A single coil can last me a few months. Every few days you just take out the cotton, dry burn it to get the gunk off, replace the cotton and go again.

I replace coils more often because I feel like it rather than that they need replaced.

Back
Top Bottom