What's new

Needing advice for mtl coil making

Just have to say superb service from vapegeek.co.uk - ordered the siren v2 at about lunch time yesterday and the postie brought it this morning - now just waiting on my delivery of coil making kit, kanthal and cotton bacon (due today) and i'll be making my first build. It's sad how excited I am about this isn't it!

So everything's arrived and i've done a couple of builds and i'm really disapointed so far. I dont know if its something im doing wrong but i'm getting virtually no flavour from it. Plenty of vapour but no flavour. Any advice on this? I'm using cotton bacon as the wick. Am i putting too much in? Too little in? I dont know, i've tried all sorts

Cotton bacon sometimes takes a few tanks to get going. Break it in nd itll be fine.

So everything's arrived and i've done a couple of builds and i'm really disapointed so far. I dont know if its something im doing wrong but i'm getting virtually no flavour from it. Plenty of vapour but no flavour. Any advice on this? I'm using cotton bacon as the wick. Am i putting too much in? Too little in? I dont know, i've tried all sorts

Variables that will all make a difference:

- amount of cotton through the coil, is it too tight?
- length of wick tails, is the wicking keeping up
- height of coil above the air hole? Is it too high so the air is going around the coil?

Probably others too, but rest assured it’s normal for the first few builds to be a bit disappointing until you learn the ins and outs of your tank.

Mate I got my obs engine and was distraught with the thing.

Asked the peeps on here what could be going wrong for me.

They nailed it, all I had to do was place the coils a bit higher.

I'm in love with the thing now after wanting to smash it up [emoji23]

Stick with it.

Ask questions.

No matter how silly they might seem to you [emoji106]

Potv will get you there [emoji16]

Just keep filling up and vaping away for a bit then?

One of the mistakes I was making when I started building was using too much cotton. It really dulls the flavour. You want it loose enough that you can move it back and forward relatively easily.

Last edited:
Thanks for the tips guys. I was getting stressed last night so I went to bed and started with it again today. I think it's getting better. I've used some japanese cotton that came with the kit and the flavour seems to be a lot better, i've also lowered the coil slightly down to the airholes as i think it may have been slightly high. Like you say il keep having a play with it and hopefully get that perfect build (does it exist?)

It might be that the Japanese cotton works better in this tank, another poster mentioned yesterday in the mtl clubhouse thread that he thinks cotton bacon etc don’t work that well in the old kayfuns and that he recommends the muji cotton. I’ve always used the Japanese stuff myself and never had problems with it, I find it’s great for my tanks.

Back
Top Bottom