What's new

New to vaping in the UK, any help?

@B0rkedBear I'll definitely check it out as soon as I receive my vape kit and update you on how it went.

To be honest I have always struggled with being able to tell if a liquid is good or bad just by tasting a dab of it, that's why myself and a lot of my friends who vape always used RDAs in order to do that, and of course the better your setup, the more pronounced the flavors can be. I am really hoping the Uwell Nunchako tank is actually a good sub-ohm one, because it'll take me a while before I start making good builds again for sure, however I have always heard great things about the Uwell Crown tanks so I'm hoping it'll be much of the same.

In regards to Liverpool Vape shops I'd avoid Totally Wicked, been in there and don't feel like the staff cared to much. If you're stuck in the city centre I highly recommend Rojeans which is located downstairs in the Cavern Walks on Matthew Street, the guy who runs that is great and happy to help. I'm not sure if he let's you sample there but I'm sure he'll be able to recommend something based on your tastes.

I personally don't get into the city centre often and mostly visit the Vaper Rooms on Eaton Road (L12 2AG) which isn't far from the East Lancs and Queens Drive as it's only 5 minutes away from my partners house. They let you sample the juice to find what's right for you, and have free coffee and cake. They also add nicotine to your preferred level for free on the shortfills. :)

I ended up paying Vaper Rooms a visit today after chatting with Paul on Messenger for a bit to ask about directions and such. He was a great person and I had a lot of fun there. I went to buy a replacement glass for my Big Baby Beast but ended up buying a Zeus tank, Cookie King DVNK 120ML, Cotton Candy Collection wick, and the spare glass because the atmosphere is quite friendly and awesome there. Paul built the tank for me since I've never had a Zeus before and I always prefer single-coil setups so I wasn't sure how to do it in the Zeus. I have had a lot of GeekVape tanks before and my favorite was the Ammit 25, but the Zeus is absolutely incredible and vapes a lot better. He used a Ni80 wire and the ohms are reading at 0.74 which is nice because I prefer lower wattages.

I do have a question, though; since I am using the tank on my Uwell Nunchaku mod, the voltage reads 5.5 when I fire at 40W, so is that too much? I always tried to stay in the 3.8 - 4.2v range in order to avoid overheating the device but I am kind of forced to unless I want a really cool vape which isn't the best when it comes to flavor.

Glad you liked it there! I think Paul's the one whose always in when I stop by, I'm a seive when it comes to names though :P If he showed you his I Am Groot mod it's definitely Paul.

The Nunchaku is a single battery mod so 5.5v sounds way to high to me, what battery are you using?

The Nunchaku is a regulated mod, so 5.5v is fine, if that's what the mod is telling you you need for the wattage you are vaping at.

At 40 watts, I'm guessing the coil's ohmage is quite high, which would account for that voltage being required.

@B0rkedBear @speedfreek67 It's a Samsung 30QR battery. I am using it temporarily until I go back home in a few days where I have other pairs (Sony and LG) and the E-Fest LUC V4 charger, which is honestly the best one I've ever used so I thought I should just charge the kit using USB here till I get back.

He made a single-coil build for me which reads 0.74 ohms and that definitely explains the high voltage, however vaping under 40W just doesn't taste the same; I am honestly too lazy to rebuild it right now and he was nice enough to do it for me so I would have never said anything about the ohms :D. I am okay with the battery running out quicker while vaping at 5.5V, but I am asking about the safety of this? Should I be concerned? As I said

it's fine ... nothing unsafe about it, the voltage shown is what the board is sending to the coil, nothing to do with the battery which can only supply a maximum of 4.2v (3.7v nominal) regardless.

@B0rkedBear @speedfreek67 It's a Samsung 30QR battery. I am using it temporarily until I go back home in a few days where I have other pairs (Sony and LG) and the E-Fest LUC V4 charger, which is honestly the best one I've ever used so I thought I should just charge the kit using USB here till I get back.

He made a single-coil build for me which reads 0.74 ohms and that definitely explains the high voltage, however vaping under 40W just doesn't taste the same; I am honestly too lazy to rebuild it right now and he was nice enough to do it for me so I would have never said anything about the ohms :D. I am okay with the battery running out quicker while vaping at 5.5V, but I am asking about the safety of this? Should I be concerned? As I said

Okay, the calculation for a single battery regulated mod is as follows:

Watts / Battery Cut-Off Voltage / Mod Efficiency = Amp draw on battery

Now, I can't find figures for the Nunchaku mod, but most mods have a battery cut-off of 3.1 or 3.2 volts (the point where the battery is deemed too weak and it won't let you fire it, and where the board would be putting the most strain on the battery to achieve the desired wattage) and a conservative estimate for mod efficiency would be 85% (meaning 15% of the battery power is lost to the internals before it gets to the coil)

So,

40 watts / 3.1 volts / 0.85 = 15.1 amps.
50 watts / 3.1 volts / 0.85 = 18.9 amps.

Now, if the cut-off voltage and/or the mod efficiency is higher, then the amps drawn from the battery is lower.

@tarekelsakka Looking into this regulated mods seem to use capacitors to store and draw more voltage when required, which is why your single battery mod shows it as using more volts than the battery can draw when required. @speedfreek67 posted the equation you will need to use to figure out what wattage you can use per battery in a regulated mod. I have a few 30Q batteries myself, they should be safe upto 55watts since they're a 20amp battery until they exceed a temperature of 75c when it'll only be safe for upto 15amps giving you a maximum of 45watts. Ohms law only really comes into things when using a mech since the chipset will control how much power your mod uses. :)

Edit: For more information on how to what's going on with the above equation and find the safe limit for batteries in a regulated mod see see this blog post by mooch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom