What's new

new VAT rules for imports from 1st jan 2021

at £150 it’s not just vat then, it will also risk getting hit with the import duty. may have been avoided if they hadn’t charged the vat. that will have bumped it over the £139 threshold. good luck...
Hahahahahhahahahahahahahahaaaaaaaa!

“Spare metal & plastic parts”

Just posted through the door

CF631197-25D5-4E07-98C6-E91E03D04319.jpeg

There are stories of people paying VAT (at the sending countries rate) and then also paying UK VAT on top. That's what, up to 40% total, on its own, before admin fees, excise/ customs duties and handling fees. So much for tariff free trade :11:

hmm maybe you can forgive them for pocketing the 20%, then. :D

out of interest, any mention of vat on the postage label?
No, because it was sent in true Chinese fashion as low value spare parts - which don't carry VAT. Err, I think. But 'no' all the same :D

No, because it was sent in true Chinese fashion as low value spare parts - which don't carry VAT. Err, I think. But 'no' all the same :D

this is why the new arrangement is bizarre. it’s supposed to be collected at point of sale (in another country) but there’s no way anybody can check that when the parcels come in. which means sellers can do whatever they want, really. and they aren’t under the jurisdiction of uk law. so who will do anything when they don’t register and send the middle finger to hmrc? nobody, i would imagine. ah well; glad you got it anyway! :D

It's the 22nd & still non the wiser as to what's going on here

I've had 3 Chinese orders in this year & so far so good. A FT package was obviously from China & had a yellow sticker saying "Goods not fulfilling Articles 28 & 29", sure I've seen that before anyway. Then two Souremore packages & just looking at them, you'd think they were from the UK. All really low cost orders though

Reading this thread is putting me off of making any orders from overseas now, was thinking about ordering a couple of clones (KF Lite Plus, Dvarw MTL FL etc) but if i'm going to get smacked in the face with some ridiculous charge in order to actually receive them then that's me out. The thing is, if I got on with the Dvarw, I was actually going to order a genuine one as a birthday present for myself later in the year but that would have to be ordered from overseas also which means the price I could end up having to pay could be way more than I could afford (I'd just about be able to save up for a genuine one plus the checkout advertised postage on KHW's site) and I don't even know if i'd be able to get my money back from the vendor if I chose not to pay the release charges.

Kudos for still using Teletext! I thought they'd stopped the signal

yep only BBC has text now, all others like c4 and ITV no longer have their versions. I like teletext for footy stuff the £-$ and £ to Euro. Its always good to know how much you are spending on an item when it's from China and in $.

Reading this thread is putting me off of making any orders from overseas now, was thinking about ordering a couple of clones (KF Lite Plus, Dvarw MTL FL etc) but if i'm going to get smacked in the face with some ridiculous charge in order to actually receive them then that's me out. The thing is, if I got on with the Dvarw, I was actually going to order a genuine one as a birthday present for myself later in the year but that would have to be ordered from overseas also which means the price I could end up having to pay could be way more than I could afford (I'd just about be able to save up for a genuine one plus the checkout advertised postage on KHW's site) and I don't even know if i'd be able to get my money back from the vendor if I chose not to pay the release charges.

Use Ali express, someone on here mentioned they charge the 20% vat and pass it on to our Gov, then you get no further charges.

Back
Top Bottom