What's new

Nurses to get a pay rise of 1%

I agree but I understand why people don't want to hear it. People have lost their jobs to 'save the NHS' ... people have had businesses destroyed to 'save the NHS' ... and while they might agree with any pay rise they are given, they might not appreciate to hear people moaning that they only got 1% when everyone else got nothing (or worse than nothing) and sat in doors all year to 'save the NHS'.
I appreciate the reasons why some may feel moaning about pay rises is wrong, I think they need to suck it up.

Society wins when we all win, when we celebrate and support the success of others. The selfishness and narrow vision that was bred and nurtured in the 80s has been a toxic poison, driving people into claiming benefits while working, zero-hour contracts, soaring property rental prices, and food bank use.

At some point people need to think about whether we really ought to start doing stuff better than this negative spiral to the bottom bullshit. A nation where the richest can't hide their money, where corporations pony up on their tax obligations, where we guarantee everyone an affordable home and full stomachs - and where everyone can earn a decent salary for the work they do. I've never got why this is such a revolutionary concept?

They don't pay any contributions and get 40% of final salary paid out after just 20 years https://www.gov.uk/guidance/pensions-and-compensation-for-veterans

Over the last three years they got 7% salary rise https://www.gov.uk/government/news/armed-forces-personnel-to-receive-2-pay-rise

I don't like apples and turnip comparisons almost as much as I don't like society's drive to drag everything to the lowest common denominator. Kinda feel if we're constantly pointing fingers and saying 'they didn't get a pay rise therefore nobody should' doesn't benefit anybody at all.
You’ve missed my point here.

I wasn’t comparing pay rises. I was trying to point out that they know what they signed up for, and the pay that comes with it.

My point was, If a soldier is shot on tour, do they demand a pay rise on return?

Welcome to Austerity #2, where the poorest in the land keep the richest in caviar and champagne. Eat cake, people. Live on cake. Well, until you wake up and stop voting for these liars and frauds.

Aka Brexit, except it's not for 10 years, it's for 100 years, or forever. I've literally given up trying to spell it out to folks I know, they seem to live in a state of permanent denial.

I agree but I understand why people don't want to hear it. People have lost their jobs to 'save the NHS' ... people have had businesses destroyed to 'save the NHS' ... and while they might agree with any pay rise they are given, they might not appreciate to hear people moaning that they only got 1% when everyone else got nothing (or worse than nothing) and sat in doors all year to 'save the NHS'.

Valid points, tbf. No doubt ones the Tories and the Islington set Journalist's have already rolled out. The whole thing stinks regardless, the politicians across all parties, suffer little or no pain and vote themselves inflation busting rises, every year, many won't even pay for a paper clip, out of their own pocket. Their excuse: "Oh we're in the service of the Queen", well so fucking what.

They deserve better and have done for a long time imo. I don’t particularly feel they deserve any thing special for dealing with coronavirus but given that they’ve been overlooked for quite some time a little more generosity given the recent shit show would’ve come across as less cunty.

about other people losing their jobs? I think that falls squarely at the governments feet. Poor decision making meant that they tried to tread a middle line between keeping the economy open and the case count down and it didn’t work. I think we’d have been better to shut up shop, close the borders and got the case count down to nothing and then opened back up again. It would’ve cut deep to begin with but it would’ve allowed us to get back to a proper version of normal better.

* I’m not usually a keep them out kind of person but in this instance consistently allowing travel into and out of the country seemed like something which was totally ignored.

anyway back to the NHS, they should be paid more full stop (although some of the organisational issues need sorting to really get some proper cost efficiencies) Teachers should do too. It baffles me that we expect people to give us the best and don’t reward them appropriately.

Huge companies should pay more tax, usual gov stratergy is to let big co's pay tax but the worry is if tax goes up, business will move abroad and thus they pay no tax.
It is grossly unfair on normal workers that large co's make so much profit but don't pay more into the public purse. The reason the NHS payrise is 1% is because some folk have more money than they ever need and won't let go of some of it.
The gov could make an absolute killing if they legalised cannabis and taxed it. But they won't use their common sense, they would rather throw more money at victimizing folks than use money to help folks. The other problem with pay rises is it increases the price of goods. The more you earn the more things go up, companies won't give payrises without budgeting for them, it is a carrot and Donkey scenario.

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 14.59.48.png

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 15.00.04.png

Screenshot 2021-03-07 at 15.00.14.png

Rich people should pay more tax.
I thought there might have been at least a token gesture in the budget but I didn't see it.

Back
Top Bottom